The Big Picture: Dog, Gone

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Dog, Gone

Welcome to a spoiler filled episode about the latest installment of Family Guy.

Watch Video

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Nooo, not Brian. He's my favourite character in this show. I hope its just a huge joke/Stewie finds some way to bring him back. Their duo "road trip" episodes were some of the funniest Family Guy ever did.

Also, GO PATS!!!

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Interesting theory, Bob. I thought for sure they were going to kill off Brian; I thought Vinny has some mild charm to him.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I had exactly the same thoughts Bob when I heard the news yesterday, while there's a chance this could be serious it seems more likely that it's a publicity stunt, given there's little long-term profit in killing off a popular character but quite a bit of short-term in the attention the show will get for the next few weeks. Those episode titles especially are a dead give away.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I totally forgot about how they were going to kill off one of the cast for months now, until I saw a notice on IGN. Then I went to my DVR which records all new family guy episodes(which I haven't seen in a good year) and good god, did not see that coming. Of all the characters, Brain was not the one I would of guessed I mean he's the voice of reason for the family if not peters and stewie's. I really hope this is a short lived thing and that stewie re-builds the time machine to fix this asap, one things for sure, I'm going to be watching family guy alot more in the near future.

Also if this is not a short term thing and are making this permanent, they can ask G1 fans how well killing Optimus and replacing him with Rodimus went.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
...Dang, that was quick work, Bob.

So yeah, this is sad, but again, who knows where they're going with this until all is said and done.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Tha was fast! I was expecting this episode next week!
Honestly I would like to think this is pernament but again as it was already mention, death rarely last long in media (especially in comic book) well depending on the show itself.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Just saw the show. I think it's terrible they killed Bryan for a multitude of reasons but the fact that they replace him with an almost identical character seems dumb to me.
It's like we now have what we had before they killed Bryan - just slightly different. They should have added a totally new character if they were going to do this. If they were going to freshen up the show adding what is essentially just a slightly different Bryan isn't going to achieve that.
Not to mention that the way they did it and the episode itself were super weak.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Ronack said:
It's interesting how the friendship and bickering between Stewie and Brian is all that kept this show interesting in the slightest. Yet ... here we are.
That is just the thing: "Family Guy" has two whole characters in the show, Stewie and Brian. Everyone else is just a vehicle or template for gags. So, with 13 years and two whole characters in the show, they decide to kill off one of them. It is no coincidence that whenever you ask a person who their favorite character(s) are on the show, they will answer with Stewie or Brian. Because those are really their only choices, if they have any idea what a proper character is in the first place.

Honestly I do not watch the show anymore, as I got sick of it pretty quickly, so I do not really care whether or not Brian is gone for all time, or whether this is some kind of satire on the "dramatic special episode."

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Quick Wikipedia search ends up with two future episodes with Brian's name. Soooo... ya.

Also, didn't Stewie "kill" Lois once? And it ended up being a bad dream in the end anyways?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I know this show exists for the sake of explaining rarely-understood or little-known topics, but outside of Bob's own enjoyment of Family Guy I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to anything. Characters die all the time in every form of story-telling media you can think of. Doctor Who swaps out its main character actor every couple of years and each one of them has gone through handfuls of supporting characters, some of whom have remained famous and ubiquitous with the series as a whole despite only being around for a year or two.

Now if Family Guy had taken the bold step of offing Peter Griffin, a character who has come to more or less exemplify everything I find annoying with the animated sitcom, being an abusive, neglectful, pants-crappingly stupid bull in a china shop who we're expected to somehow relate to and cheer for while he's treating his wife, children and basically everyone around him like shit and not being called to account for it, I might care enough to keep an eye on this. As it is, I just don't care.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I dislike it when status quo is god(tv tropes ftw) so Im happy when a show shakes things up, at least as long as the chances result in better stories, despite that I don?t except this particular change to last long.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
rasputin0009 said:
Quick Wikipedia search ends up with two future episodes with Brian's name. Soooo... ya.

Also, didn't Stewie "kill" Lois once? And it ended up being a bad dream in the end anyways?
I believe you're referring to the episode where the events were happening inside Stewie's "simulation goggles". But I think I might be wrong.