The Big Picture: Favorite Ms. Take - Part 2

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Volf99 said:
MovieBob said:
Favorite Ms. Take - Part 2

What happened to Ms. Marvel after that whole baby thing.

Watch Video
Hey, any chance that you could do a video on Todd McFarlane's Spawn? Please?!

Er you do no Bob HATES Todd Mcfarlane and everything Image comic's created right?

Unless you want 5 minutes of Bob bashing Spawn that is.
........wtf, WHY? What is wrong with Spawn? If Todd McFarlane is a *ss (idk anything about the guy) then fine, but why hate Spawn? He always reminded me of a darker version of Batman.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys! Remember last week when I posted this image in response to what happened to Ms. Marvel?

[http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/Bluecho/?action=view&current=derpyDoesNotCareForSexualAssault-1.jpg]

Well, evidently Chris Claremont also doesn't care for sexual assault. It's almost like rape is serious business and people might get pissed off when it isn't even addressed in a story. Thank you Marvel. Whenever I think DC has been making stupidly awful decisions, you come in to prove that you can fail just as hard if you really wanted to.

On that note, I think maybe I'll start reading some stories with Ms. Marvel. That and Squirrel Girl, but for completely unrelated reasons.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
When Tony Stark calls you out on hitting the sauce, that's when you know you have a drinking problem.

So, we've gone from "taken superpowered shrapnel" to "seriously underplayed victim status" to "seriously overplayed victim status" to "dead at the height of popularity".

And people wonder why DC went back to square one.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
What I really want to know is why can't marvel (and DC) contain its characters to their own individual series.

These last two episodes if nothing else have really shown that it would be near impossible for a guy off the street to follow the character of Ms. Marvel.

How many different comic series did Bob have to mention; Mr.Marvel, Avengers, Ms. Marvel, X-Men, Star Jammers, House of M.

Ugh, this is why comics particularly super hero comics fail to reach larger audiences because the casual guy could never hope to keep half of this continuity straight let alone make sense of it.

Also it's why I like manga better one series, one set of characters, one storyline, and so much easier to follow. You never have to worry about references to things not apart of that characters universe or missing pertinent events happening to character outside of their own series.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Great episode, Bob. I always love the deep delving into some of weirdest parts of the Marvel comic universe.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Aiddon said:
Fappy said:
Is it sad that I have been reading Avengers books for almost a decade now and I didn't even know she died during Dark Reign? Lol.

I'm so glad Bendis is fading away.
So is everyone else. Now if only that titanic jackass Quesada would go away and take his hatred against marriage with him.
QFT.

Also, I really really like Matt Fraction but ever since "Fear Itself" I have been worried that he will turn into the next Bendis D:

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
WAIT what about here relationship with Wonder Man? I swear I recall them being an item for a while there.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I love me my Ms. Marvel. She's behind only She-Hulk as my favorite Marvel superheroine.

But I really don't think Marvel has any clue what to do with her. She wasn't even in Marvel vs. Capcom (and yet Wolverine-clone X-23 was?).

But, also... I miss Chris Claremont. He wrote amazing stories and he was able to fix terrible stories; I'd love to see Chris Claremont fix "House of M" or "Civil War" or "One More Day", because I believe he could and he'd blow our minds.

Though... poor Ms. Marvel. Brainwashed, raped, impregnated, depowered, put in a coma, turned alcoholic, killed... she's every bad case of "Women in Refrigerators" wrapped up in one body.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
It's alright Bob, the end of semester crunch already burned out those brain cells.
Besides anyone who has even the vaguest knowledge of the Marvel continuity knows that nobody stay alive, dead, or on the same side or team indefinitely.
Except maybe Uncle Ben. Of course even that has been opened up for debate.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Shakomaru said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Anyway, next time you do a Comics Are Weird segment, Deadpool. Freaking Deadpool all the way.
I second this. Marvel seems to have MINES of strange things you can use and Deadpool's made for that.
Yeah, but seeing as how Deadpool breaks the fourth wall on purpose I wouldn't see much purpose in calling that character out. He's supposed to be weird/quirky and almost pretty much non-canon canon (paradox?).

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Since I'm still making the brain cell killing mistake of reading comics, I guess I'll help answer a few questions.

Sovereignty said:
WAIT what about here relationship with Wonder Man? I swear I recall them being an item for a while there.
That idea never really took off. It might've went somewhere eventually unfortunately the skrull invasion happened and the version of mighty avengers that relationship started in got canned, with various things happening to Wonder Man(you really don't want to know what he's up to now.) and Carol in another Avengers team. Not that it was a bad idea, it's just Marvel stopped caring about it.

ult Citizen" post="6.330100.13432083"]Spiderman and Ms. Marvel? I know nothing of her personality outside of the last two episodes of this show so I have to ask, is that a good match?[/quote]

There was some friendly flirting and a funny date or 2, but it never looked like they were going to anything close to serious.

zombie711 said:
wait, Rouges powers only drained mutants? I thought Rouge drained the energy from anyone she touched.
Last time I checked it still worked on everyone, mutant, human, alien, even Gods.

umbraticus

May 4, 2011
WTF, havy you got some degree in comicology to know all that stuff bob?
COMICS ARE WEIRD! and COMPLICATED

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I just read the more recent backstory of Ghost Rider, and this clusterfuck makes that clusterfuck look awesome.

zombie711 said:
wait, Rouges powers only drained mutants? I thought Rouge drained the energy from anyone she touched.
I was under the same impression

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Shjade said:
I find myself wondering what the age difference is between Ms. Marvel and Spider-man.
She's probably older by either a little less or a little more than ten years.

Unless they've changed their minds since last I checked, Marvel runs things on a "sliding time scale" of about a decade; i.e. whatever era it seems to be in a given story it has "always been" about ten years (give or take) since The Fantastic Four got their powers and "began" the 'current' age of heroes; while the only thing that stays constant is that Captain America, Namor etc. DID fight in WWII with the 'Cap was sleeping' gap getting retroactively longer and longer with each successive year.

In typical "Marvel Time," Peter Parker getting bitten/becoming Spider-Man happens over the course a few years roughly coinciding with the FF's debut, making him a high-schooler at the time. Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) is supposed to have been a tenured FBI/military officer during the same period, so she'd have to be AT LEAST in her late 20s while he was still in his late teens... though, really, this should all go into the "Don't Think Too Hard About This" file.

Basically, everyone in American superhero comics LOOKS like they're in their (very, very healthy) mid-30s but can really be anywhere between late-teens and early-40s; unless they're drawn to explicitly look "very young," in which case they're teenagers/children or "very old" which can mean anywhere from mid-50s to older than time itself. Marvel tends to break it's "age groups" up more by disposition/personality than actual age, i.e. Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Dr. Strange, Professor X, Mr. Fantastic etc. are "grownups" (i.e. they have day-jobs, responsibilities and "big people" problems like alcoholism) while Spider-Man, (most of) The X-Men, Human Torch etc. are "kids;" which is why it was kind of clever that during "Civil War" the de-facto 'kid's team' (anti-registration) wound up led by Captain America - who's technically in his 80s but physically/mentally "younger" than most of the other "big" heroes.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Acutally I remember in the great X-men animated series in the 90's you mentioned they DID do an episode where we learn Rogue indeed stole her powers from Miss Marvel. And then she awoke from a coma, sth sth... Maybe it was a dual episode or small seasonal story arc, whatever.

Cool episode as always, keep em coming, as long as it's about WEIRDDDD stuff!!!!

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
I like writers like Claremont and Johns and all, but there's a very specific way they earned that title of "great comics writer," which is that they patched up the serious flaws of the system, and that bugs me a lot. Outside of American superhero comics, the editors don't have this extremely broad kind of control over everything, and no one says "every comic is someone's first" because it's just common sense, even for continuity nightmares like Bleach.