The Big Picture: Found in Translation

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
The Samurai Pizza Cats is getting a DVD release?! Must... Have...

I have such fond memories of that series. I guess it goes to show that a muddled dub job isn't always a bad thing.

Captcha: namby-pamby

Hey! That isn't nice!

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
I do remember this from my childhood and i remember it to weird to understand, probably because of the mashup. But that it was this twisted, i didn't know, actually that's interesting. If i find it anywhere, i guess i'll give it a try again.

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
I'll be interested in this release. I remember watching SPC back in the day, and I really enjoyed it. And being able to see all of the episodes (not just the ones that made it to air) will be even better. I also like that Discotek is releasing the series subbed as I tend to prefer to watch subbed anime. I'm just wondering if they will be able to get the original dub cast for this show.

As for InuYasha. I am a huge fan of Takahashi Rumiko, but only up to a point. My favorites are Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku. I also liked One Pound Gospel. I watched some of Ranma 1/2, and I found myself saying "Meh" to the entire run. And I barely watched InuYasha. So either of Bob's statements on InuYasha would be correct for me.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Know what I'd like to see you do next, Bob? Voltron. Both the "GoLion" and "Vehicle Voltron" versions. Or some of the other really early Anime series like "Speed Racer" aka "Mach GoGoGo" in the original series (that's why the theme was "Go, Speed Racer"- Go was Speed's original Japanese name), G-Force/Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets/Eagle Riders (as well as the 1993 retooling that condensed the storyline into three episodes) and those abominations, 7-Zark-7 and his dog, 1-Rover-1 (both used to cover up how much violence had to be deleted from the original episodes). Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato, or Robotech. (Depending on which series, cobbled together from the Japanese series Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA). I tell you, Robotech was like Crack for new Anime Fans back in the day...

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Hitchmeister said:
I'm sad. No one else is old enough to remember the glory days of USA's Night Flight and Dynaman. "We have WATCHES!"
It had disappeared from regular rotation by the time I found out about it. I only saw one episode of that, and laughed my tuckus off.

Happily, some of it appears to have been rescued to YouTube.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
I'm older than Bob and used to see Samurai Pizza Cats usually with a hangover on Saturday mornings. I was amazed at how over-the-top it was, and it soon became a weekend ritual for me. I always wondered about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers; was the yellow ranger a guy in the Japanese version? She doesn't have a little skirt like the pink ranger, and she's pretty flat-chested...

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
Bob, I don't know if you read these, but this episode made me the happiest guy ever. I used to wake up at 4:30-5:00 in the morning when I was six just because it was the only time I could watch this show and now to see an "origins" episode of how it came to be was just amazing and completes the circle in some way. Thank you very much for your time and hard work! =)

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
No one else was reminded of this when he played the opening theme of Pizza Cats?

I feel like that might have been done on purpose now.

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
Geekeric said:
I'm older than Bob and used to see Samurai Pizza Cats usually with a hangover on Saturday mornings. I was amazed at how over-the-top it was, and it soon became a weekend ritual for me. I always wondered about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers; was the yellow ranger a guy in the Japanese version? She doesn't have a little skirt like the pink ranger, and she's pretty flat-chested...
I looked at the Wikipedia entry for Zyuranger (the show that MMPR was based off of), and it featured four men and one woman. Hence why Yellow did not have a skirt. I know that the Japanese version has been fansubbed through TV Nihon. I'll have to give it a try.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
That was a very informative episode Bob,
I never knew Inuyasha had a script.
They used the one for DBZ, they just flipped filtered it though a romance novel. Inuyasha is DBZ for chicks.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I loved this show when I was a kid, it was funny and ridiculous and starred cats (which I love). I will say that there are quite a few things that we got wrong from watching this show:

-We thought the big cheese was a woman
-We couldn't understand why no one could tell who the Pizza Cats were (they basically look the same in armor as out)
-We didn't get more than half the puns.

I tried to watch the original series (I understand enough Japanese to watch most anime) but I found it rather dull except the intro which is totally ridiculous and I can see why they made a new one for the US release.

Thanks Bob for reminding me why I liked this show so much.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
Shippo!
Miroku!
Sango!
Miroku!
Harold! Shrek! Fiona! Fiona! Mom! Harold! DONKEY!
Rocky!
Janet!
Brad!
John!
Yoko!
Plankton!
Krabs!
Sponegbob!
Bueller!
Skinner!
WILSON!
Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!

Ah, that never gets old.

Inuyasha wasn't that bad, but after a point, the main plot could more or less be summarized like this:

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
OMG
i didn't even remember samurai pizza kids till 6 minutes ago but this was one of favorite shows as a kid. I frequently got into serious trouble because i got up early on Saturday mornings to watch it and my parents had a very strict"no TV" policy

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I imagine I'm not the only person in these comments who is impatiently waiting for TeamFourStar to post episode 28 of DBZ Abridged already. They do such amazing work with their version to the point in many ways its better than the real english dub which is probably due to TFS cutting out tonnes and tonnes of the pointless filler bs so many big anime are known for.

As for Pizza Cats I recall only ever watching a handful of episode, didn't get huge in to anime until the latter half of the 90s myself when I discovered all the fantastic mature stuff lol.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Hey....Inuyasha wasn't that bad...for a 12 year-old.

It introduced me to the world of anime. I will always love it for that...and the romance. Because I was the target audience and I ate that shit up.

Ot: I remember this show. Never watched it because it seemed too out there even for me. I wonder what other goodies I missed by being too young to bother with it...