The Big Picture: Going Green: Part I

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Denmarkian said:
Parallax?

I thought Parallax was a giant-yellow-psychic-alien-insect-thing that took over Hal's mind and drove him to kill the rest of the corps.

Is that how H.E.A.T. got their good ol' Hal back?

Isn't Parallax the big final enemy Ryan Reynolds is going to fight in the Green Lantern Movie this summer?

<a hrf=http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/green-lantern-movie-final-battle-spoiler>As spoiled by a toy release

As an aside, H.E.A.T. in my city stands for "Help Eliminate Auto Theft"
That was a nonsensical plot devise to explain away character flaws/arc. I read a bunch of Green Lantern stories and I still can't figure out exactly what it is.

I liked Kyle Rayner a lot better. Since he was an artist, he could come up with more interesting things than just a giant fist. Half the fun was seeing what new construct he could come up with.

Hal Jordan was always an alpha male asshole. I don't know why nerds want to read about the guys that beat them up in high school.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I love me some Green Lantern. Rebirth -> Sinestro Corps War -> the start of Blackest Night was an awesome run, in both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps.

The way Geoff Johns managed to work Hal's change to Parallax in Rebirth was nothing short of masterful. Looking forward to the next episode. The whole colour yellow thing was explained well in there too. Great comics.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
And I thought Valve fanboys were batshit insane. I'm not a Green Lantern fan, nor a huge DC fan, but I have to admit that I really like the idea of Green Lantern becoming Parallax. DC knows how to make a villain.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Heh, sounds kinda like MovieBob's reaction to Revenge of the Fallen. Fanboy pissing and moaning. Thank you Bob, could not have put it better myself.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
HankMan said:
Thanks for shedding some <color= green>light on this subject.
There is no hiding from you puns is there? D:

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I like it better when MovieBob DOESN'T do jokes. Because, quite frankly, he's not that funny.

Anyway, Green Lantern. I knew people hated how Hal Jordan became so evil and killed so many people when his hometown got destroyed, but the fact that there was an active MOVEMENT to undo it all?! DAMN!

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
HankMan said:
Thanks for shedding some <color= green>light on this subject.
I was hoping you'd do something with limelight, limes being green and all...
Come on, you can do this!

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
SomeBritishDude said:
Ok, HEAT may explain why Hal was brought back at all. Cause seriously, i hate that guy, Kyle is so much more interesting.
Yeah Hal Jordan never appealed to me, I loved Green Arrow though. Plus I was first introduced to Kyle as the Green Lantern. The character was young, fallible, and believable to me.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I'm not really into comics (living in Europe, and a part where you don't really see such stuff), but all this does sound really interesting.
I'd love to read some of this stuff, though.
Looking forward to the second episode.

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
Great video, the ending made me curious enough to investigate what happened.

All I'll say is I can't wait until next week.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Owlslayer said:
I'm not really into comics (living in Europe, and a part where you don't really see such stuff), but all this does sound really interesting.
I'd love to read some of this stuff, though.
Looking forward to the second episode.
Same here! I've never had any interest in comics as such but all this stuff about continuity and fanboyism is mighty interesting. :)

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I've only sporadically read comics, and the only one with parallax in it had him and thanos destroying and re-creating planets over and over, like two children having a tug-war over a toy. I think I put that comic down a little dumber than when I picked it up.

The idea of parallax seems cool though. A villain with an actual arc seems to be rare in comics.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I'm actually surprised the writers at DC were able to fit the ROYGBIV thing into all those different lanterns. They caught a lucky break since you already had Sinestro (yellow), and the Star Saphires (Violet). All they had to do was fill in the remaining colors and tie it into Hal's origin story (really.) and they were set with very little continuity gaffs.

But if we want to talk about continuity complexity, we should be talking about Alan Scott. What Bob put in the video on that one image really was the short version of Alan Scott's history. He's the kind of character the Continuity Alarm was made for.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
i guess that would be like :
superman destroying earth,
or
batman killing anybody who walks the streets at night,
or
garfield doing sports,
or
ninja turtles ... with automatic-guns... instead of martial-arts
or
the female terminator

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
You see? THAT's how you make people hungry for more bob, not with story arcs. But I'll stop beating that dead horse (for now).

Green lantern (and generally DC comics, heck comics at all) never interested me that much. I only read through the wiki article in order to be prepared for the upcoming movie.

While I do remember several generations of Green Lanterns, I don't remember the issue you brought up. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the second part of your video about this super hero.

Oh and btw I enjoy your video much more than the article, not only because it's easier to consume the information, but because wiki articles tend to block the view to core issues in order to maintain an objective position.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
lralowicz said:
No. It's not trolling try.

I must be coming from wrong part of the world (Europe) because each time there
is a "Comics are ... (something)" episode my:

I...
DON'T...
CARE...

sign pops up.
I'm not criticising material or something. It's just a statement of lack of interest.
Anyone feels the same or... It is I who needs help? :)
BTW... Funny enough I still enjoy watching the show even if topic doesn't float my boat.

Also...
I must give one thing to comic books. I don't know what authors are smoking but I want it too.
You're not alone. I'm a Canadian who loves comics, but never got into DC or Marvel superheroes. Or superheroes in general unless they were being written by Warren Ellis. But I was a teenager in the 90s when the North American superhero comics industry was about selling tits and ass to 30-year-old fanboys with annual crossover events and multiple variant covers. Didn't really appeal to me.

Luckily there was an alternative for more goth/supernatural comics fans like me: DC's Vertigo imprint, which had its best stuff in the 90s: Gaiman's Sandman, Ellis' Transmetropolitan, Morrison's Invisibles, and Ennis' Hellblazer and Preacher.

I still like these episodes though--they give me a lot of insight into what I missed all those years ago.