The Big Picture: Groan Saga

BmoreAkuma

Feb 26, 2011
Im sorry but I have to agree about how crappy the 90s were

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_xaTbMYUM

This song actually was popular in the mid 90s. I shit you not.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
Bob doing the comics are wierd thingie is fun, but this stuff feels better when presented by Linkara from ATFW.

Stick to the bigger big picture, Bob. You're good at that :)

crypto_jones

Mar 2, 2011
head desk tricycle said:
it wouldn't be the first girl Spider-Man broke up with who was aware of his secret identity.
Hmmm, I don't remember this happening... ( Felicia Hardy hardly counts as a girlfriend and Betty Brant never knew for sure...) Can you refresh my memory?

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
The whole storyline made and broke comics for me. I entered the clone saga about halfway in. It was amazing, an epic upheaval in Spider Man's life, and I honestly preferred the grungy, directionless bum that was Ben Rielly. Even spent countless allowances hunting down the older 1970's tie ins to get a better sense of what was going on.

Then a really crappy finale, Ben Died and was retconned into a clone on the very last efing page, and within the span of a few short issues it was as if none of it ever happened. It destroyed any belief I had in the creative abilities of mainstream comic artists, just felt like a cheap sitcom that went too long.

Never bought a comic again.

Taellosse

Dec 4, 2009
I actually rather enjoyed parts of the Clone Saga when I was following comics. The part that is actually legitimately known as "Maximum Clonage" was deeply stupid, but much of what came before that was pretty good. Though the back and forth of which one was the real Peter got a little tiresome. I actually checked out of comics with the Onslaught absurdity a year or two later, while Ben was still Spider-Man (though they were already working on bringing Peter back on board by that point). I bought the graphic novel detailing Peter's full-time resumption of the red-and-blues so I'd get some resolution. I'm still on the fence about the wisdom of resurrecting Norman Osborn, though.

And I've never understood why the Marvel Editorial staff has so much of a problem with Mary Jane being Peter's wife, and why, if it is such an issue, they couldn't just get divorced like any other normal couple. That's the whole POINT of Spider-Man being Peter Parker under the mask--he's a superhero, but he's still got a normal human life to navigate as well. Seems to me, with the divorce rate at around 50%, that's a plot point a lot of people could relate to if they'd done it.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
I actually enjoyed the clone saga, Mark Bagley's art was fantastic as always, and with the exception of Spidercide, it was a fun read. Spidey's new outfit was much better than his old one (both the hoodie version and the one with the web-bombs shooting bracer), the Scarlet Spider was a breath of fresh air over the 'woe is me and my life' emo that was Peter Parker.

Also, for the one who asked, Ben Reilly dyed his hair blond, to look different from the real/fake Peter Parker.

FlayD

Dec 11, 2009
I enjoy the comic episodes, but I'd prefer if they didn't become the main focus of the show.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
moosek said:
Superhero comics need to fuck off forever.

Stories should be written with the characters in mind, and continuity with other comics with different writers just screws up the process.
Yes. Absolutely yes.

Also, your avatar pictures my absolutely favorite character in Seinfeld. Thank you for this.