The Big Picture: Groan Saga

Preston_r

Feb 17, 2010
I was around 18 when the Clone Saga started for Spiderman. At that time I had subscriptions to several Marvel comics. 2 Spidey titles and (IIRC, that was a looong time ago for me) 2 X-Men.

I canceled my Spiderman subscriptions after the clone saga started and they split the 4 spiderman books in half between the 2 spiders. My 2 books started following "Ben" and not "Peter". Incensed at what I felt was a piss poor storyline from marvel I canceled. Not long after that I canceled X-Men as well.

I stuck with Image for awhile after that, but not too long until I grew tired of them as well.

I still love super-heros. Comics always have a fond place in my heart. But the clone saga was the beginning of the end for me. Comics got too weird, too convoluted, and too damn stupid at times.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
JediMB said:
littlerudi08107 said:
I liked Scarlet Spider, I thought he was cool :(
He was.

Ben becoming Spider-Man permanently would have saved us a lot of crappy stories in the last decade or so as well. All the stupid attempts to shake up the status quo that culminated with One More Day/Brand New Day, which was the point where I stopped reading Spider-Man.
Seconded. He seemed far more "adult" too. He went through tons of personal struggles about his own personal identity, and goofed off far less than Peter. Ben is far more interesting than Peter could ever be.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I don't watch many movies and I've never done much with superhero comics (other than Watchman and V for Vendetta, if the latter even counts). Any yet I love MoveBob's stuff :)

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I think Linkara has talked about both the clone spideys and the Last day spidey with Mephisto and Mary Jane...just horrible appearantly the way clone saga dragged out and just changed everything all the time, and Last day was just horrible in any way aswell

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
JediMB said:
littlerudi08107 said:
I liked Scarlet Spider, I thought he was cool :(
He was.

Ben becoming Spider-Man permanently would have saved us a lot of crappy stories in the last decade or so as well. All the stupid attempts to shake up the status quo that culminated with One More Day/Brand New Day, which was the point where I stopped reading Spider-Man.
Seconded. He seemed far more "adult" too. He went through tons of personal struggles about his own personal identity, and goofed off far less than Peter. Ben is far more interesting than Peter could ever be.
I didn't care about all that other stuff, I just liked his costume :D

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
The Ben Reilly thing really struck me as odd back during the One More Day debacle. Having learned that the motivation behind the deal with the devil was to rid Spidey of his married life and make him a swinging single man again, as well as return his secret identity, it seemed like bringing Ben back would have solved the problem in one fell swoop.

The story would go that Peter Parker was using some advanced tech to impersonate Spider-man, to cover for him during the massive clusterhump that was the Civil War. Parker and Ben would accomplish this by having the two appear in a public situation, possibly on national television, and spill the whole story there. Peter, who has done this "pretending to be Spider-Man act" before, would be let off with scorn, leaving him to ride off into the proverbial sunset, still wedded to Mary Jane and looking forward to living out a happy married life (at least until some other writer feel the need to dredge them back up, anyway). Meanwhile, we would get Ben as the single Spider-Man that editorial has wanted for so long, sporting a whole slew of problems all his own. No silly subplots or subtext about Ben possibly being the real Peter Parker. No extra clones. Just a simple and effective story that would cover just about all of the necessary bases.

But of course, hindsight's 20/20 in situations like these.

In any case, I'm really enjoying the Comics Are Weird segments, although I can see them wearing out their welcome if overused. Mixing one in every couple of months would suit me just fine.

Corey Longest

Apr 27, 2010
Sovereignty said:
Wow. I didn't realize it was so complicated...

Can someone explain what the hell Doppelganger is please?! I mean is he a clone that still lives? (Cause he wears a spiderman outfit...)

Who knew Spidermans past was as complicated as the X-mens. (Seriously is Xavier even alive in the comics anymore?)
http://marvel.wikia.com/Doppelganger_%28Spider-Man%27s%29_%28Earth-616%29

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I really enjoy the comic book episodes, because I always wanted to know more about that stuff but lack time/money/motivation to do so. These reviews remind me of the hearings at a university:

Maximum amount of listeners vs. one competent individual = a bandd of halfway informed people

jerrrry

I Miss Doraleous.
Oct 26, 2009
Does anyone else find it weird that Movie Bob and Lisa Foiles both had Saved by the Bell images on their shows that came out simultaneously? (Lisa's was on the shirt that she wore). Has Saved by the Bell been in the news recently or something?

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
Im kinda glad I started to really get into spidey well after this. I started years ago just after and it was annoying at all the clone saga references being made. But I liked the Scarlet Spider-Man's costume. And the clone saga was cool in the 90's Spider-Man Cartoon.

But yeah, I'd recommend people start at Amazing Spider-Man 1 TPB, The Whole Ezekiel saga is really good.

Corey Longest

Apr 27, 2010
I enjoyed the clone saga even though it was horribly too long and had way too many parts that didnt make any sense. I think if redone with more direction it would be really awesome. I still hate One More Day, but i hate Genre mixing anyway, Mephisto only really works when he's messing with Doctor Strange, Thor, Silver Surfer, or Fantastic Four.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I think the clone saga could make for a good story, if you just shortened it and made the themes more apparent. The whole existential crisis of "am I the clone" actually makes for some interesting character self discovery, and Ben Riely could have run alongside Spiderman fine.

Bringing back Osbourn was stupid. His death should remain a continuity consistency. Because it actually meant something.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
funny, scarlet spider was the only spiderman comic I ever bought, I also don't miss the 90's too many 1 hit wonders, and not enough bands surviving it.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Aahhh the 90's..... It sped by, for me, in blaze of.....Diapers and baby food. :S

....what? I'm young, okay?

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
I really don't want to understand any of what I just watched. Spiderman is so different from what I perceived it was growing up...

My brain hurts.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I actually have some of the Spider-Man clone saga issues lying around. Spider-Man was one of the first places I looked when my taste in comics started maturing (i.e. I stopped caring about the furry romances of the Sonic Comics when I was 9) and unfortunately some of those first books are all out of the forsaken clone saga. Sadly it doesn't look like Spider-Man's storyies have gotten much better D:

JoshTheater

LRR Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
Fantastic video. But now that you've done a video about what is probably the worst Spider-Man comic story, how about doing one about what might possibly be the BEST Spider-Man comic story...Kraven's Last Hunt. Kraven's Last Hunt is what they need to make a Spider-Man movie about. It's dark, it's intense, it's emotional. It would be The Dark Knight of Spider-Man films. Too bad now that the franchise is getting rebooted we'll probably never see it happen.