The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101: Part 1

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hollywood History 101: Part 1

Learn how Hollywood became Movie Central.

Watch Video

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Good vid, thanks Bob

Its funny how inflexible industry juggernauts get squished by innovation from time to time...*glares at record companies*

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
And just when I started playing "The movies: Stunts and Effects"... Maybe I can learn from this? Nah, the game doesn't have such depth.

Still very interesting episode as always. Thanks Bob.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
I appreciate the vid. I usually prefer Bob's videos when he actually gets into opinion and one-man debate, but I know little enough of the early days of film for this to be worth a look.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Honestly thought the big reveal would be radio, but then I figured out that since Hollywood and radio stations existed side by side throughout the depression, that it couldn't be the culprit.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Uhum, but don't linger too much on Tv story please. There is still the silver era, the decadence of western the Hollywood crash, nowadays, I mean lot of material just about movies. Best episode so far. Waiting for part II and possible III.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
this was very interesting as a huge film geek i knew a bit about the history of hollywood but moviebob just showed me i only knew the tip of the iceberg, thanks bob

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
I guess history repeat itself eh?

Now the big unstoppable juggernaut is very slow to adapt itself to the internet. >_>

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks Bob, this is helpful. I knew some of it, but it helps to have a go-to guide from an expert.

Interesting to note the similarity that came into my head to the monopolistic business practices of Nintendo in the 1980s, and how that era is similarly remembered as a "golden age" of video games...

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Very very interesting Bob.

One question though. Will you be covering the HUAC affects on Hollywood in the Early 50's?

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
and while hollywood was blasted for owning distribution and content, the record companies keep on abusing the system and artform

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Thanks Bob. Sometimes I get lost when you start talking about old movies and things like that, so Im glad to you to clear it out.
Great episode.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Fantastic. I love when you demonstrate your undeniable authority on the history of film and film criticism, Bob.

Was TV the main culprit though? I've read that the UK and other European film industries (especially the French and Italian) rose to dominance in the 1950s and 60s and posed a very real threat to Hollywood. I'm hoping you touch on that as well, as it's always interested me.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
The end is like the worst part of the best history classes. it ends right when stuff is getting interesting.

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
While knowledge for knowledge sake is fun, and I'll probably bring some of these factoids up at some point in my life, I'm hoping this will all tie into something.

KevinR1990

Apr 10, 2008
I've got a good source for anyone who wants to do more research on this (including Bob, if need be):

TV Tropes: History of Hollywood

Yeah, it's TV Tropes, but it basically covers everything that Bob's going over concisely and clearly, along with everything else that he couldn't fit into a five-minute video.

Side note: Yeah, I wrote a large amount of the stuff on that page and its sub-pages. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt.