The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101: Part 2

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hollywood History 101: Part 2

TV arrives to threaten the movie industry.

Watch Video

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
This is quickly becoming my hands down favorite feature on the Escapist. I love hearing about all this stuff. Who knew that pop culture history could be so interesting?

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
This has been great so far, and seeing the albeit broad similarities between Hollywood now and then could make one stop and consider for a second if Hollywood thinks they are getting pressure from other sources again today.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I like these education episodes of "The Big Picture" that Bob's been releasing. Maybe he's a frustrated teacher who never got a teaching degree or something. Looking forward to part 3 of most likely 4 videos.

Also Bob forgot to mention the Internet in the new medium affecting Hollywood. Seriously it's a bigger threat then video games thanks to piracy and on demand entertainment. If Hollywood had half a brain they'd sell online movie passes to watch their in cinema movies on a dedicated movie website for less then the ticket price of the cinema. Also to sweeten the deal they can release the movies before the cinema. See! I saved Hollywood with common sense!

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
In retrospect, it's not surprising Hollywood missed the boat with teenagers. Adolescence as a social institution didn't really come about until around the 40s and 50s. Most people, especially in the Depression era, couldn't afford to go to school past their pre-teen years. They needed to work, probably to help support their families, and if they weren't treated as adults they were definitely adults-in-training. Post-war prosperity meant more children could stay in high school well into their teens, and that shared social experience, along with other indicators of prosperity like automobiles, was the foundation of North American adolescent culture.

EverythingIncredible said:
Can't wait to hear you talk about the Hay's code. Read up on it last time and it sounds like a bunch of crap.
It was, for the most part. Overall, we're definitely better off with it behind us. On the other hand, a drama teacher friend of mine has a bit of a soft spot for it. When sexuality couldn't be shown explicitly, films had to imply a lot with innuendo, dialogue, facial expressions and symbolism, which left a lot to the imagination. If you've ever seen the classic romantic comedy It Happened One Night, the "Wall of Jericho" is a great example of this.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I don't think I've ever been frustrated by the length of these episodes until now, I know Bob must be a busy man but when it comes to episodes with two or three parts like this I wish he could make them a bit longer.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
JPArbiter said:
CosmicCommander said:
JPArbiter said:
And the geeks would inherit the earth...
IT'S STAR WARS, I TELL YA'.

LUCAS AND HIS INDEPENDENT FESTIVAL THAT REJUVENATED EVERYTHING.

I WIN.
Independant? Star Wars was backed by Fox.
I was referring to the fact that Lucas did pretty much write, direct, cast, produce, and begged Fox to help the thing independently; the only thing Star Wars had was monetary backing, and even that was ready to be retracted at a hair-trigger (nearly was, at many points). Although you can't technically refer to it as an indie film, it was damn close.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Another awesome update.

I'm really liking these Big Pictures on the film history.

Can't wait for the Hays code episode.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
"DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE ELSE?"
Exactly what I was thinking leading up to that point.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
I'm really enjoying this. Hurray for learning!

And that last sentence sent chills down my back.
"Where the old gods fell, geeks would inherit the earth."

WOAH.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
3:24--"however superficially". A minor, probably unnecessary qualification, and one that gets lost in a moment of detailed explanation, but it is that sort of thing which makes this show so great; it shows that Chipman knows and cares about the subject matter.

I was expecting to hear a lot more about the Hays Code in this series, to be honest. If it is getting its own five and a half, though, I am already excited about that video.