The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101: Part 2

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
ultimasupersaiyan said:
Also Bob forgot to mention the Internet in the new medium affecting Hollywood. Seriously it's a bigger threat then video games thanks to piracy and on demand entertainment. If Hollywood had half a brain they'd sell online movie passes to watch their in cinema movies on a dedicated movie website for less then the ticket price of the cinema. Also to sweeten the deal they can release the movies before the cinema. See! I saved Hollywood with common sense!
I agree with you, but I don't think he forgot.

In case you hadn't notice, Bob is going forward in time in a linear fashion... this video ends in the seventies, long before the internet was around.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I can see what's coming next week and I can't wait to hear what Bob has to say about that era, heck, one of the best eras of movie making ever.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
The end was epic. Somehow I feel like this series will end with MovieBob saying how awesome the 1980's were for movie industry, how the 1990's only saw some good films and the 2000's struggled to compete with gaming and now Hollywood makes only safe bets. Like Fast and Furius or Avatar (new IP, but a story well known by any person above 10 years old).

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
brazuca said:
The end was epic. Somehow I feel like this series will end with MovieBob saying how awesome the 1980's were for movie industry, how the 1990's only saw some good films and the 2000's struggled to compete with gaming and now Hollywood makes only safe bets. Like Fast and Furius or Avatar (new IP, but a story well known by any person above 10 years old).
Uh, environmental anti-war/colonialism films don't make money, and Fox even wanted Cameron to tone some of it down which he didn't. Avatar was not a sure bet. And the main story of the movie is not Jake falling for Neytiri or fighting with the Na'vi.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Yeah, Lucas did star was but what got him the green light to do it was American Graffiti. And yes there were others out there by the way guys.....ever hear of a film called Jaws???

and BTW Bob The Road to Series was AWESOME!!! Bing Crosby Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour were hilarious... mostly Bob and Bing.... but still.

And no I'm not 80, Im in my twenties, but I can still appreciate old cinema.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Very informative, made me wish they had teach this kind of stuff in history lesson!
Still part of it remind me of certain scenes from the film Cinema Paradisco, during the part the cinema lead to a downfall due to the arrival of television.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
And I now have my quote of awesome for the next month. I now await an entire episode about said Geeks inheriting the earth, shall be fun.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Gunnyboy said:
brazuca said:
Uh, environmental anti-war/colonialism films don't make money, and Fox even wanted Cameron to tone some of it down which he didn't. Avatar was not a sure bet. And the main story of the movie is not Jake falling for Neytiri or fighting with the Na'vi.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19304_5-classic-movies-that-seemed-like-terrible-ideas-at-time.html
This kind remind me of this article.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
metal mustache said:
shit hes still talking about hollywood history...
last time i got too bored and left too
To know where you are going, you have to know where you came from...

Plus You don't have to watch it.
MorganL4 said:
Yeah, Lucas did star was but what got him the green light to do it was American Graffiti. And yes there were others out there by the way guys.....ever hear of a film called Jaws???

and BTW Bob The Road to Series was AWESOME!!! Bing Crosby Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour were hilarious... mostly Bob and Bing.... but still.

And no I'm not 80, Im in my twenties, but I can still appreciate old cinema.
In order:

I think that he is referring to the rise of two things: first, the shift to the more "geek" properties (Star Wars and sci-fi, Jaws and horror, you name it); second, the appearance of educated and trained directors (Lucas, Spielberg, Scorsese, etc.) and how they would revolutionize the industry.

Jaws was in the same boat as Star Wars (in more ways than one) and was produced on a relatively low budget.

The Road to [insert location here] was a good series, but was emblematic of the problems in Hollywood. They were safe, cheep and quick movies that made a decent buck at the cinemas, but otherwise weren't exceptional in their own right.

The internet is probably the best invention to rediscover these old films to the masses. No need to cut discs when you can just upload a digital file instead.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Summary of Zabriskie Point:

Homicidal white supremacist terrifies naive hippie girl with a stolen airplane. They fall in love and fuck in the desert. Racist fails to peaceably return airplane and is shot dead. Hippie girl imagines boss's mansion exploding. Mediocre soundtrack by early Pink Floyd.

And now you don't have to see it for yourself. You're welcome.

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
Interesting as always, though I had a general sense of all of this it is good to hear it with a little more detail and in a single narrative. You have made a great show here. Can't wait for part three.

Also, it was nice seeing Toshiro Mifune when mentioning foreign films, I love that guy.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Finally, we're getting to see an actual (metaphorical) big picture again. Thanks, Bob.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
W00t, go geeks!
I see a big section of the next episode dedicated to Star Wars and Jurassic Park!