MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hollywood History 101 Supplemental: The Code

The Hays Code made movies more "moral".

Watch Video

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I actually want to see what a lot of those older movies were all about.

How many of them are public domain now? Does anyone know where I can get them on the cheap if they're not?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I find it interesting that Hollywood has essentially come full circle and it hasn't even been a hundred years.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Hooray for stupid people perpetuating the puritanical notion of denying everything that makes people human being able to appear in the media. No wonder we're all so messed up. Good episode Bob.

May 5, 2010
God, FINALLY. I mean don't get me wrong, this episode was really interesting (probably the best of the "History of Movies" set) but still....This has been going on for a looooooong time. I'm ready to get back into complicated comic continuity and stuff about how nerds ruling the planet.

EDIT: Also, FUCK. THESE. FUCKING. ADS. Seriously, is anyone else seeing this? "El Shaddai"? Incredible amounts of lag? A medieval knight wearing blue jeans to your left? A LOT. OF FUCKING. LAG? Anyone?

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
bob should do more of these Something's History 101 videos, i really enjoyed them

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
very good series i learned alot and i am now taking more intrest in the history of films thanks bob

Altercator

Jan 15, 2008
Hi Bob.

First of all thanks for replying to my previous post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.287041.11357128].

Considering the censorship scene in Hollywood, have you watched This Film Is not Yet Rated by Kirby Dick? [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459]

Do you think there's a parallel relationship between censorship & profit in terms of what Hollywood is trying to mooch money from a wider, larger demographic as possible?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I absolutely loved this series. Reminded me of being in my 10th grade history course. The teacher for that class was a real stand up guy; always quick with a good, informative story. And the history of pop culture isn't something they teach you a lot about in school, so this was all news to me. Actually, I wish they had taught more about this stuff. Especially with regards to this last installment about censorship, it's hard to deny the relevance of this type of information to our day-to-day lives. It makes me grateful to live in this age of information, where broader cultural influences help me to keep my mind open and creative, and it reminds me that the ultimate cure for bigotry is knowledge.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
I actually want to see what a lot of those older movies were all about.

How many of them are public domain now? Does anyone know where I can get them on the cheap if they're not?
If they're not local to rent or on Netflix, you may likely find them at your local library.

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
I gotta say, I really enjoyed these videos. Not only educational, but they provided new insight and perspective into issues I already knew about. I've got to say, between his rants on social and political issues to recapping the history from everything to Green Lantern to Hollywood, he really has an engaging and thought provoking series here.

I kinda wish he did leave more recommendations of supplemental material. For example, The Celluloid Closet or This Film is Not Yet rated.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
zingobingo4 said:
sax & violins. love it.
Holy shit I just got that. Gah, I was scratching my head when those images popped up. I feel like a dumb.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Funny how things change from one jurisdiction to another. In Brazil and Portugal, I think in Italy too, it's the Departament of Justice also the gov who says what is offensive and what is not. Self regulatory sometimes appears to be more draconian than the gov. Weird huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_Justice,_Rating,_Titles_and_Qualification

PS: there are pages about it and every country (not every really) on wikipedia. I say it's worth checking out.