The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
If the Oscars Were the VGAs

An illustration of how VGAs are ruining our image.

Watch Video

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I think it's safe to assume that most people in the Escapist community do not watch, nor take the VGA's seriously at all. That said, I do think you're right that all this constant pandering to the FPS genre is hurting us as a fandom.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
The end was hilarious, but didn't other show on the Escapist adressed this issue. That show who got canceled about two guys and a chick who was on thursday for a year or something. Uh...

There is still DICE awards anyway.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Did Shigeru Miyamoto really watch a man get teabagged on stage? I'm sorry Japan. Not *everyone* in the US is lame.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I still surprised people take it seriously. At least with some people I know in real life and online, the Game Developer's Choice awards and the Interactive Arts and Sciences awards were followed with more credibility.

Even the Video Game BAFTAs is better than the VGAs despite it's odd choice of categories and nominees sometimes.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
If the Oscars were the VGAs, we'd all be complaining that a samey, insubstantial Paramount blockbuster won again, not even acknowledging the actual people listed in the credits.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Parts of this were hilarios. Although most of the film referances went right over my head.

If the Oscars where the VGA's Killer Elite would win Best Picture.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
I still surprised people take it seriously. At least with some people I know in real life and online, the Game Developer's Choice awards and the Interactive Arts and Sciences awards were followed with more credibility.

Even the Video Game BAFTAs is better than the VGAs despite it's odd choice of categories and nominees sometimes.
Spike's VGAs are the most visible award show, hence the comparison to Oscars. There are far "artsier" awards in the movie industry that mean a lot more to the people actually interested in movies as art, but the show that basically represents the medium are the Oscars. The closest thing gaming has to that are the VGAs. And it's also the award show that people who aren't fans of the medium are most likely to hear about. Now, if people who don't care about movies tune in for the Oscars to see what the big deal is, they aren't in for a terrible suprise. People might ***** about some movie winning while another loses, but by and large there isn't anything nearly as insulting to the medium as the VGAs put on for gaming.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Parts of this were hilarios. Although most of the film referances went right over my head.

If the Oscars where the VGA's Killer Elite would win Best Picture.
...but killer elite was good.

I mean it's not best picture material, I'll give you that, but I liked it.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I felt more sorry for Hideo Kogima when he was on the VGAs. He looked completely lost, as if he'd just been dropped into it with no rehearsal.

Also, Charlie Sheen? CHARLIE SHEEN!? Come on, at least make an attempt to keep it within the games industry. They could have brought in Vin Diesel, what with his roles in Wheelman and the Riddick series, and still appealed to both their Spike/Gamer demographic and the rest of the gamer demographic.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Jandau said:
Stabby Joe said:

Spike's VGAs are the most visible award show, hence the comparison to Oscars. There are far "artsier" awards in the movie industry that mean a lot more to the people actually interested in movies as art, but the show that basically represents the medium are the Oscars. The closest thing gaming has to that are the VGAs. And it's also the award show that people who aren't fans of the medium are most likely to hear about. Now, if people who don't care about movies tune in for the Oscars to see what the big deal is, they aren't in for a terrible suprise. People might ***** about some movie winning while another loses, but by and large there isn't anything nearly as insulting to the medium as the VGAs put on for gaming.
Oh I understand why people hear about... and yet I still don't know why however.

Enosh_

Aug 27, 2008
oh so predictable, I knew the moment I saw the tittle what this video was going to contain, some whining that the shitty era of people like him being the definition of gamers is over, a few cheap jokes, one of which didn't make sense in context (last I checked Skyrim, a fantasy rpg won goty, so the hypothetical oscar should go to LotR, the fantasy film) and some jerking off to Miyamoto