The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Sutter Cane said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Parts of this were hilarios. Although most of the film referances went right over my head.

If the Oscars where the VGA's Killer Elite would win Best Picture.
...but killer elite was good.

I mean it's not best picture material, I'll give you that, but I liked it.
The joke was that Jason Statham is the Al Pacino of Spike TV's demographic which would make his last movie Oscar material. Assuming you can follow that analogy.

RGman

Aug 28, 2011
To be fair to Green Lantern... Tree of Life was also a piece of shit (Oh, I said it!)

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Sporky111 said:
Also, Charlie Sheen? CHARLIE SHEEN!? Come on, at least make an attempt to keep it within the games industry. They could have brought in Vin Diesel, what with his roles in Wheelman and the Riddick series, and still appealed to both their Spike/Gamer demographic and the rest of the gamer demographic.
Yeah, but Vin is actually a gamer and could have lent some credibility (to the moment at least) by actually knowing what he was talking about. The second he started making sense they would cut him off by having Nathan Drake fall in from the ceiling and start a horribly choreographed fight sequence with a dozen black and Asian stunt performers.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
A lot of the VGA's problems are Spike related. Although unlike the UFC which thankfully is jumping to Fox next year and undergoing a drastic image change, I doubt the VGA's will change much.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
And this is why I pay absolutely no attention to the VGAs. All I needed to hear was that it was the "Spike VGAs" to know it would be nothing but hyper-masculine crap.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
Why does everyone act so surprised that awards shows are bullshit? They're about ART, pretty much the most subjective thing in the goddamn universe. The entire concept of the award show is chicanery. The VGAs are far more honest than the Oscars, because we can all acknowledge that we don't care who won what award -- we came here to see trailers, because they're all penned up in one place.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
walsfeo said:
Furbyz said:
They mistreated Felicia Day...the perfect woman. So...much....RAGE!
I didn't watch, what did they do to Felicia Day?
I didn't either. That's just what Bob said, and the mere concept enrages me to the nth degree.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Had to look up who Brett Ratner was. Yeah, he'd have been right at home with the Spike TV crowd.

Dec 14, 2009
I actually want to apologise to Miyamoto in person. Get down on my hands and knees and beg his forgiveness that such a thing like the VGAs exists.

I''m sorry Shigeru.

I'm so sorry.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Well, the Oscars have their own issues. The way Hollywood tries to ignore the formulaic blockbusters that make them money, and place all the attention on formulaic period dramas and bio-pics with pretensions of a "message". As Bob himself noted in a previous vid, the Oscars are dominated by older actors, so directors, writers, music, and the audio-visual-technical elements take a back seat to the acting. The former are rewarded for making the latter look good, hence David Seidler won for The King's Speech when his direction amounted to putting two brilliant actors with a great script in the same room and rolling tape, while Christopher Nolan was snubbed for an original work like Inception.

But at least the Oscars don't roll trailers during the damned awards ceremony, nor allow celebrities from non-film-related fields to hog the spotlight.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
The Spike VGAs always struck me as an awards show run by people who have no clue what they're talking about beyond they know video games are cool for their audience.

I'm not talking about the hosts, I'm talking about the people at Spike who put his together. I think the executives at Spike TV Googled popular video games and ran with the resulting collection of CoD memes.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
If the Oscars were like the VGA's... The Star Wars prequels would be considered the best trilogy and have a boat load of awards.

If the Oscars were like the VGA's... Tron Legacy would still have been snubbed.

If the Oscars were like the VGA's... They'd encourage a Madden movie... yikes!