The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The fact that the target demographic for the VGAs isn't far removed from what a typical gamer is pisses me off. They could have devoted this show to a retrospective of the year and they showed that they could be decent with Miyamoto and the Zelda montage. Seriously, pay attention to the AIAS Awards if you want something that treats the medium with dignity (even if even gamers don't at times)

Anyway:

If the Oscars were the VGAs Red Dawn would have been a multi-billion dollar franchise for DECADES

If the Oscars were the VGAs too many films from before the present day (like the Godfather, The Dollars Trilogy, Easy Rider, etc) would be considered "overrated" and "remembered only because of nostalgia"

If the Oscars were the VGAs Ehren Kruger would have at least two Best Adapted Screenplay Awards

If the Oscars were the VGAs they would try to throw a pie in the face of Spielberg for taking too long for an acceptance speech

If the Oscars were the VGAs they would put Jeff Dunham on stage to crack his racist jokes. And the crowd would love it

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Redd the Sock said:
Does anyone think the VGAs still qualify as any kind of awards show? It's 80% direct marketing with 20% award marketing (slapping GOTY on somthing so the people that didn't buy it yet might be enticed to do so). I'm not against hyped up marketing, heck I'd prefer to take E3 in a 2 hour edited special than jumping through a ton of net videos, but don't hide your commercial behind a cover of legitimacy.

If the Oscars were the VGAs, you'd still have to release your movie shortly before the awards cutoff to have a hope of winning.

If the Oscars were the VGAs, a film with obviously poorly done and incomplete special effects would still win best picture (hey, I love me Skyrim, but any game that needs patches to fix serious game breaking issues probably shouldn't have been up)

If the Oscars were the VGAs, they'd be twice as long to stuff in a dozen lames blue screen skits.
Ed the Sock. You win the internets. I automatically have to agree with you.
Just a note: I'm not Ed. I just use him for my avatar.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
MacNille said:
Anoni Mus said:
CommanderKirov said:
Weeeeeell... Miyamoto da Vinci of gaming... The guy is good, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves there.
Name me other people who had more influence in the video game industry than Miyamoto.

___

Good episode Bob, but too short :/
Easy one, Sid Meir, Gabe Newell and Chris Avellone
Completly disagree. Gabe Newell is the Valve guy right? You really think his influence surpasses Miyamoto's? Heck, even his favourite games are Doom and SUPER MARIO 64.

Besides Miyamoto was responsible for helping saving the industry after the 1983 crash.
So because you disagree that makes him wrong? Don't get me wrong, Miyamoto has done great things but what's the last Nintendo released a great game that wasn't another Mario/Zelda/Metroid? I'm not saying they're not great, but they're not "The One" of gaming either.

OT:Hold up...I thought the Men in Black trailer looked decent. Although I am curious as to why Will Smith doesn't seem to age.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
If the Oscars Were the VGAs

An illustration of how VGAs are ruining our image.

Watch Video
if the Oscars were the VGA's - Michel Bay would win best director, every year

if the Oscars were the VGAs - Sepharoth would win 'greatest villain of all time'

if the Oscars were the VGA's - i still wouldn't watch it :D

its an awards show, Oscars, VGAs, Grammys, w/e none of them are really worth sitting through, not when i have a movie i could be watching, or beating the crap out of a raid boss or something worth staying awake for.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
If the Oscars were like the VGAs... they would only give out one Oscar in the first hour. The rest of the hour would be dedicated to teabag and douchebag jokes.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... all nominated best actresses would be forced to demean themselves in cake frosting for teenage boys' amusement.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... James Cameron would forced to have another man's scrotum rubbed on his face for going too long in his award speech.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... a Ben Stiller skit would have him laugh at how "Alfred Hitchcock's" name ends in "cock".

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... the best Picture winner would be a movie that 1/3rd of all viewers would not be allowed to finish watching because the movie would drop framerates, then freeze, and ultimately crash.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... there would be a category called "Best Use of Product Placement" and Michael Bay would win every time.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... Tom Green or Andy Dick would host.

If the Oscars were like the VGAs... you'd walk away thinking the entire movie industry was run by horny, immature, dimwitted, crass, sexist teenage perverts that taint the entire human gene pool.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
You're right Bob we should all put aside our differences and accept that different people have different tastes but we can all share what we enjoy and find a common ground instead of pandering to a thankless demographic. And you're right, movies and video games represent 2 totally different artforms and schools of practice. I mean even though we might not like call of duty or transformers, millions of people do and thats cool because who are we to judge them? I mean we spent OUR whole lives being judged negativly for liking our nerdy shit so why can't we set an example instead of purpetuating the same tired old shit that we grew up with in school.

Oh wait....

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
If the Oscars were the VGAs, it would be in a world where MovieBob doesn't spend all his game-related posts while metaphorically performing fellatio on Miyamoto and crying about the ghost of gaming past.
#IWentThere.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
CommanderKirov said:
Weeeeeell... Miyamoto da Vinci of gaming... The guy is good, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves there.
Name me other people who had more influence in the video game industry than Miyamoto.
John Carmack. Have you got any idea how many engines have been based around his Quake engine architecture? Or how about Tim Sweeney, whose engine is the most widely used right now in the AAA industry? That's surely influential? Or Sid Meier, who has the largest digital footprint of any game developer? Or Gabe Newell, who started the trend of narrative FPS and leads the way in digital distribution? Or Richard Garriott, who basically set the standard for WRPGs and JRPGs? Or Chris Avellone, who is responsible for Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate, New Vegas, 'nuff said?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Furbyz said:
They mistreated Felicia Day...the perfect woman. So...much....RAGE!
Admittably, I haven't had that much exposure to Ms. Day, beyond Mass Effect and some god awful Dragon Age internet series. But on seeing the latter, she is no way a perfect woman. She is not a very good actress in the flesh. Speaking of "flesh", the VGA might as well treat her as a booth babe seeing as how the tv show already did.

Bob is probably right about the universally despised VGAs, but that doesn't make him sound any less of an elitist snob. Once again, Bob can't resist taking an opportunity to ***** about other people for liking different stuff; about how these guys are somehow a betrayal to his pretentious ideal of what a "gamer" should be like. Liking action games and sports and boobs does not make one deserving of contempt. You can't pretend their tastes are undeserving of the limelight; they represent one of the biggest demographics in the medium. It is this kind of "low-brow don't count" mentality that made the Oscars what it is today.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Yea the VGA's were embarrassing as hell and the If the Oscars Were the VGA's game was better then the entire show.

OT

holy shit new site layout.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
MacNille said:
Anoni Mus said:
CommanderKirov said:

___

Also:

David Crane.
Yu Suzuki.
Chris Crawford.
John Carmack.
Richard Bartle.
Richard Garriot.
Mark Cerny.

Ralph frickin' Baer.

I can keep going...

Anoni Mus said:
Completly disagree. Gabe Newell is the Valve guy right? You really think his influence surpasses Miyamoto's? Heck, even his favourite games are Doom and SUPER MARIO 64.

Besides Miyamoto was responsible for helping saving the industry after the 1983 crash.
Whoa there, don't overstate your case...

The NES wasn't Miyamoto's idea, he didn't design it, it wasn't his idea to release in North America - which was the only territory that was actually affected by the Great Video Game crash - and he wasn't part of the massive marketing push that was required to sell it in North America.

Miyamoto's important enough without people buying into Nintendo's "game god" propaganda and overstating his influence...

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
If the Oscars were the VGA's, Martin Scorsese's name would be mispronounced. Badly.

Triality

May 9, 2011
That last line was awesome, Bob. Thanks to you I'm partially more informed about why I should hate Brett "Fags" Ratner.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I think that we should just be thankful no one pays attention to the VGAs. People outside of gamers have no reason to watch it, so it doesn't make us look any worse. People who really love games don't pay much attention to it, but it must get ratings with the "mainstream" crowd since it's still on. Hopefully it will go the way of Gforia or however it was spelled and mysteriously vanish. Naturally, I didn't watch it, because I had tried to a few years ago and couldn't stand it.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Bob, just stop talking about video games in general, stop it, STOP IT!! Your bias and Nintendo fanboyism is REALLY starting to get annoying.

I really am sorry for how badly you might have been picked on by high school douchebags in the 90s, but they are not running the game industry into the ground no matter what you might think. Fact is they ARE the group of casual gamers you keep whining that people should accept, and the only reason I see you have something against them is because they don't all apply to the Wii crowd of casual gaming.

Seriously Bob, just stick to movies, or comic books, you seem a lot more open minded towards those mediums and not suffering from some form of -ism or nostalgia when it comes to it. Your Nintendo "I hate modern games" fanboyism is really like the equivalent in movies to those hipster dip shit film snobs that think every movie after Jaws was a corporate piece of crap and every good movie today should be compared to the glorious movies of the 60s and 70s like Dogs Day Afternoon or Network and scrutinized for being inferior.

Of course Mario is hardly a Dogs Day Afternoon for gaming. Or a Network. It's equivalent would be in TV and it would be Scooby Dooby Doo...LoL

Yes, I'm making fun of your Mario, what of it??

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Grygor said:
MacNille said:
Anoni Mus said:
CommanderKirov said:

___

Also:

David Crane.
Yu Suzuki.
Chris Crawford.
John Carmack.
Richard Bartle.
Richard Garriot.
Mark Cerny.

Ralph frickin' Baer.

I can keep going...

Anoni Mus said:

Whoa there, don't overstate your case...

The NES wasn't Miyamoto's idea, he didn't design it, it wasn't his idea to release in North America - which was the only territory that was actually affected by the Great Video Game crash - and he wasn't part of the massive marketing push that was required to sell it in North America.

Miyamoto's important enough without people buying into Nintendo's "game god" propaganda and overstating his influence...
Sorry, but I'm a game designer myself, and my entire studio 100% views Shigeru Miyamoto as a "game god" and the Da Vinci of gaming.

You know what's a timeless masterpiece, something revered for its perfect use of form and function, a finely-tuned artistic endeavor created on a canvas without equal? It is seen by millions and is recognized instantly, admired by both children and sage adults; it has transcended time and weathered changing interests to endure as an eternal testament to creativity. It has been seen in museums and been the focus of documentaries. It has inspired legions of followers and produced artisans aspiring to its merits. It has been imitated, but never surpassed. Every year, a new generation of people experience it for the first time and respect it for its beauty, influence, and skill.

I'm not talking about the Mona Lisa. I'm talking about SUPER MARIO BROS.

I'm quite upset you would diminish the accomplishments of Shigeru Miyamoto. Now, granted, I am not saying he is the ONLY creator we should respect, but just like Michelangelo, Frank Lloyd Wright, Monet, and Alphonse Mucha, Da Vinci rose above his peers to a level of cultural influence beyond all others.

I have great respect for Shinji Mikami, Will Wright, Sid Meier, Gabe Newell, Cliff Blizinski, John Romero, Suda51, Hideo Kojima, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Richard Garriott, Ed Boon, Michel Ancel, Jordan Mechner, and so many others... but none of them, not a single one, can boast a resume as robust, diverse, or as universally beloved as Shigeru Miyamoto's.

From the influence of the platformers Mario and Donkey Kong to the puzzle-adventure Zelda to the mythological Kid Icarus to the garden strategy of Pikmin to the space shooter Star Fox to the lightning fast racer F-Zero to the RPGs of Super Mario RPG and Golden Sun to social games such as Mario Party and Animal Crossing to sports games ranging from Mario Tennis to boxing-classic Punch-Out!!

And those were just the games. His influence on system features, ranging from motion controls to rumble to wireless controls to dual screens to system connectivity to even the ability to save progress in a game (and eliminate passwords) changed the entire face of the industry for everyone.

There are plenty of other great creators out there who make phenomenal and original games that I love dearly... but only ONE man has so thoroughly and pervasively released so many timeless, beloved classics with such a wide range of diversity and with such a widespread, deeply felt influence on the entire landscape of game development.

And I'm proud to be in the industry he helped pave the way for.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
maninahat said:
Furbyz said:
They mistreated Felicia Day...the perfect woman. So...much....RAGE!
Admittably, I haven't had that much exposure to Ms. Day, beyond Mass Effect and some god awful Dragon Age internet series. But on seeing the latter, she is no way a perfect woman. She is not a very good actress in the flesh. Speaking of "flesh", the VGA might as well treat her as a booth babe seeing as how the tv show already did.

Bob is probably right about the universally despised VGAs, but that doesn't make him sound any less of an elitist snob. Once again, Bob can't resist taking an opportunity to ***** about other people for liking different stuff; about how these guys are somehow a betrayal to his pretentious ideal of what a "gamer" should be like. Liking action games and sports and boobs does not make one deserving of contempt. You can't pretend their tastes are undeserving of the limelight; they represent one of the biggest demographics in the medium. It is this kind of "low-brow don't count" mentality that made the Oscars what it is today.
Felicia Day has degrees in mathematics and musical performance, going to college on a full violin performance scholarship. She wrote, directed, and starred in the hit web series The Guild and was a part of Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog. Hell, she was even in a few episodes of Buffy back in the day. Admittedly, I haven't seen the Dragon Age series or even played Mass Effect. Her nerd street cred could not be any higher. She is my idea of the perfect woman. Whether you share that opinion or not is, quite frankly, irrelevant. I feel certain I'd disagree with your idea of perfection as well, but I doubt I'd take the time time to say what amounts to, "No, you're wrong."

Good day