The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
If the Oscars were the VGAs, the B-movie action flick season and the arthouse season would switch places.
But if the VGAs were Oscars, COD, Madden and Guitar Hero would lose Best Game to New Super Mario Bros Wii.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
jackanderson said:
Rocklobster99 said:
jackanderson said:
When the people who are attending your awards ceremony are complaining about the ceremony and how you've treated them whilst it's still going on, it is most definitely time to re-evaluate your priorities.

I feel really sorry for Mark Hamill and Tara Strong. Their treatments were unacceptable. And I feel extremely sorry for host Zachary Levi. You could tell he wanted to host a good video game awards show and it killed me to slowly see part of him die as the night went on. With crappy pun after crappy pun and awful skit after awful skit. Internet: The man genuinely loves his games! Honest. He was just dealing with an awful script!

Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navarro both wrote excellent pieces on the VGAs over at Giant Bomb if anyone's interested.

Great vid, Bob!
What happened to Mark Hamill and Tara Strong?
Shoved up into the bleachers and had the awards in their categories given out in the pre-show. They weren't aware until the internet informed them through Twitter. They mentioned that they didn't win, but they didn't care. They still would've preferred some recognition of their categories.

But yeah, to do that to Hamill and Strong... just disgraceful.
Thats a huge fucking dick move...Spike been going down hill since the brand change from TNN.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
While I do agree that the VGAs are a giant piece of garbage, I unfortunantly found this whole episode more then a bit dull. Half of it was just the same sort of joke repeated over and over. And the other half was just pointing out what most people here already knew; the VGAs shouldn't be taken seriously. But they are unfortuantly taken seriously by some. Not to mention I like a few of the items you mentioned.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Expenables 2 have Chuck Norris.
-sigh-
I'm going into my bomb shelter, tell me when everyone stops the Chuck Norris jokes surrounding, involving, or "should of ended" of EX2.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Angry Joe said all this about the VGA's a long time ago. But somethign this bad defiantly bears repeating.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Oh the academy awards. That show clearly does not get quite enough respect.

You know. That one award show that gave 'best picture' to Dances with Wolves and Shakespeare in Love and gave 'best actress' to Hilary Swank TWICE. Clearly they are the true intelligentsia.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Wow people really hate nintendo to put Miyamoto and Bob down. Bob's whole argument wasen't even nintendo based. Granted Miyamoto isn't the only person to have an effect on the gameing industry. But Miyamoto had a bigger more wide spread infulence,that will spand for all time...nuff said

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
castlewise said:
Did Shigeru Miyamoto really watch a man get teabagged on stage? I'm sorry Japan. Not *everyone* in the US is lame.
If we were in Japan, we would all need to commit suicide for dishonoring the talented developers by letting this award show exist. But think of how much worse it would be hosted by MTV.

Not so bad now, is it?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
C2Ultima said:
I had to see if this was real.

Seriously, what the fuck is this?
WAT FUCK?

How much did they pay that guy to do that! I mean really!?

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
It's kind of sad that after I saw Pinkie I stopped paying attention and started thinking about how I missed last weeks episode. I had to rewatch the whole section after that slide...

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
It's kind of sad that after I saw Pinkie I stopped paying attention and started thinking about how I missed last weeks episode. I had to rewatch the whole section after that slide...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wait. They did a live IRL teabag? Seriously?? Wow...
Yeah, not regretting skipping it and checking all the trailers the next day.

I do like that, unlike the Oscars, the right game/movie wins.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Judging by a few videos of the VGA's on Youtube. This is just degrading I bet most of my friends who play mainly FPS would be embarrased. This medium has come so far and they still make it seem like we are freaking 12 year old boys.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
You know... As much as I don't like the VGA's or more like I have no real peference. People say: "I am just glad CoD didn't game of the year," in a tone that suggests that it has before...

When it never has...

2011 - Skyrim
2010 - RDR
2009 - Uncharted 2
2008 - GTA4
2007 - Bioshock... and so on, it has NEVER won.

So stop trying to act like it has i na way to insult it, hell MW3 wasn't even nominated this year.

Also the fact that you said: Another Call of Duty map pack seriously lost some respect there. Following the bandwagon I see.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
Why is Pinkie Pie creeping into everything I like? She's like the freaking Slender Man. At the rate, the next time I play Skyrim she's going to thow me a surprise party in Breezehome.