The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
If the Oscars were the VGAs...

...Michael Bay would win Best Director, Best Producer (along with the rest of Platinum Dunes) and recieve the Lifetime Achievement Award every year.
...there would be a ten-minute montage declaring Pixar gay.
...the schedule would go, "trailer for a movie not being released for four-to-seven months," "trailer for a movie not being released for eight-to-eleven months," award, repeat.
...there would be a montage dedicated to gratuitous female nudity.
...there would be a montage depicting ways The Matrix is better than anything Bruce Lee has done.
...there would be a point in the show where a no-real-meaning award is given to either Martin Scorcese, Peter Jackson or Steven Speilburg in order to please, "those damn casual moviegoers."
...the musical acts would be obnoxious pop-rock.

Take your pick. The VGAs are a horrible, pandering insult to fans of video games, I'm glad we can all agree on that. Anyone who likes the VGAs, please turn in your Nintendo Fun Club cards and leave through the back door. I REFUSE TO CALL IT CLUB NINTENDO.

EDIT: Also...
C2Ultima said:
I had to see if this was real.

Seriously, what the fuck is this?
What the fuck is this nonsense?! I feel raped! I feel honest-to-god raped! Excuse me, I'm going to see my lawyer and see if you can sue a show for breach of taste!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Felicia Day was in it for a paycheck. I don't get all the mad in here. Yeah, the VGAs were an insult, but she wasn't "mistreated", they didn't hold her at gunpoint, she did what she had to to earn money. If you're going to be angry about that, aim that heat her way for selling out.

The VGAs themselves are a joke, and evidently the industry and it's true supporters (ie the gamers) are the punchline. I'm amazed it's gone on this long.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
If the Oscars were the VGAs, Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon would win; best picture, best screenplay, best cinematography, best actor/actress, best soundtrack and best special effects.

Now, excuse me while I hang myself for saying that...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
DressedInRags said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
Sporky111 said:
Also, Charlie Sheen? CHARLIE SHEEN!? Come on, at least make an attempt to keep it within the games industry. They could have brought in Vin Diesel, what with his roles in Wheelman and the Riddick series, and still appealed to both their Spike/Gamer demographic and the rest of the gamer demographic.
Yeah, but Vin is actually a gamer and could have lent some credibility (to the moment at least) by actually knowing what he was talking about. The second he started making sense they would cut him off by having Nathan Drake fall in from the ceiling and start a horribly choreographed fight sequence with a dozen black and Asian stunt performers.
did... did something like that actually happen?!

Korten12 said:
You know... As much as I don't like the VGA's or more like I have no real peference. People say: "I am just glad CoD didn't game of the year," in a tone that suggests that it has before...

When it never has...

2011 - Skyrim
2010 - RDR
2009 - Uncharted 2
2008 - GTA4
2007 - Bioshock... and so on, it has NEVER won.

So stop trying to act like it has i na way to insult it, hell MW3 wasn't even nominated this year.

Also the fact that you said: Another Call of Duty map pack seriously lost some respect there. Following the bandwagon I see.
I am of the same opinion. How would you go about convincing me otherwise?

How does Bob's opinion loose some credibility simply because it's the more popular one? isn't that just an equally ridiculous inversion of that old "tryanny of the majority" fallacy?

I mean, "following the bandwagon". Right. his opinion is shared by many, is what that means. That has precisely shag-all to do with whether or not it's valid or respectable.
I like Bob's show's but sometimes he acts like he is just there to spout what others say. Indie Games, Modern Gamers (ones who play CoD for example) are idiots, that Modern Shooters are stupid... Everything you hear hundreds of hundreds of hipsters say.

It's fine if he feels that way, but he presented itself in away that seems like he was trying to be an ass about it and that he was somehow being "clever."

But like I also said, he made it as if CoD has won GoTY at the VGA's many times when it has not. It's like insulting something for something it hasn't done.

wiiwiieddie

Mar 3, 2010
Speaking of Felicia Day, after you mentioned Nathan Fillion a few epsodes ago, i was thinking they maybe you should do an epsode braking down the different nerd web clebs, ex: Day, Fillion, Jonathan Colton, Wil Weaton, Chris Hardwick(although that one might be streaching it). Maybe even go on a joke rant about Yahtzee, just for giggles.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
If the Oscars were the VGAs...
Avatar would have won best picture
You sir deserve all the internets for beating incredible odds and creating an extremely funny (and true) comment. *tips hat*

OT: I personally though the awards themselves were given to the games that deserved them. Portal 2 got best multiplayer and best DLC and Skyrim got GOTY. What's not to like Bob? Didn't they give Super Mario 3D Land "best handheld game" and Skyward Sword two awards of its own?

C'mon Bob...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Wouldn't it make more sense for the VGAs to be on, say, G4, not Spike TV? But no, we ave to pander to the lowest-common denominator, don't we? *SIGH*

Jdb

May 26, 2010
The Best Gamers didn't like the VGAs either.

http://thebestgamers.net/viewbuzz.php?id=Story1323647172

Sheesh. What happened to Miyamoto? I'd be sad too if I went to a video game show that had nothing to do with video games.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Furbyz said:
walsfeo said:
Furbyz said:
They mistreated Felicia Day...the perfect woman. So...much....RAGE!
I didn't watch, what did they do to Felicia Day?
I didn't either. That's just what Bob said, and the mere concept enrages me to the nth degree.
Yeeeaaaahhhh..... I didn't watch it either (four for four).
But I highly doubt whatever they did would shock me, because a) I have a heart made of adamantium, and b) my only exposure to Felicia Day is her voice role as Veronica in Fallout New Vegas.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Lono Shrugged said:
You're right Bob we should all put aside our differences and accept that different people have different tastes but we can all share what we enjoy and find a common ground instead of pandering to a thankless demographic. And you're right, movies and video games represent 2 totally different artforms and schools of practice. I mean even though we might not like call of duty or transformers, millions of people do and thats cool because who are we to judge them? I mean we spent OUR whole lives being judged negativly for liking our nerdy shit so why can't we set an example instead of purpetuating the same tired old shit that we grew up with in school.

Oh wait....
YES! THANK YOU!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
...Wouldn't it make more sense for the VGAs to be on, say, G4, not Spike TV? But no, we ave to pander to the lowest-common denominator, don't we? *SIGH*
that could be applied to the video game industry itself, too.

It's hard to pan our awards for pandering when the industry behind them are as guilty, if not more.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
So, basically, what I get from that is, "If the Oscars were the VGA's, they'd be the MTV Movie awards."

That's honestly how I've treated the VGA's, just the simplistic version of award shows for the lowest common denominator. Closest I can think of to the Oscars for video games is the BAFTA awards.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Oh man I almost forgot they were making an Expendables 2.
That first one was way better than that other movie with Michael Cera.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Mailman said:
Why is Pinkie Pie creeping into everything I like? She's like the freaking Slender Man. At the rate, the next time I play Skyrim she's going to thow me a surprise party in Breezehome.
You really shouldn't taunt Murphy.

Anyway...we need to start fixing things up ourselves, or just wish that everything is better, and I think we're only gonna get results if we aim for the former.

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
brazuca said:
The end was hilarious, but didn't other show on the Escapist adressed this issue. That show who got canceled about two guys and a chick who was on thursday for a year or something. Uh...

There is still DICE awards anyway.
The best show on the planet Extra Credits? :D

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
jecht35 said:
Wow people really hate nintendo to put Miyamoto and Bob down. Bob's whole argument wasen't even nintendo based. Granted Miyamoto isn't the only person to have an effect on the gameing industry. But Miyamoto had a bigger more wide spread infulence,that will spand for all time...nuff said
Yes, the constant criticism Bob gets for being a Nintendo is both tiring and sad. But then again, this is the Escapist