The Big Picture: If the Oscars Were the VGAs

dtheman

Nov 18, 2009
JoeThree said:
Waaah! Gaming is diverse and I only like diversity when it involves black people and women, not people with differences than me beyond the surface! Waaaah!

PS: Felicia Day will never touch your penis, no matter how white a knight you are.
wow that was nice

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
If the Oscars were the VGAs, Fast Five would of been nominated for picture of the year, but The Expendables would of won.

But seriously, the VGAs are a sourge on gaming. They do little more than demonize the whole industry and make us all seem like extremely immature.

Oh, and did they actually teabag someone on stage? Seriously? I can't even imagine Spike TV stooping that low...

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Fox242 said:
I'm getting more than a little sick of Bob's uber geek crap here. We all know the VGAs are a fucking joke, but Bob's constant dismisal of the current state of the industry is more than a little grating. Nintendo doesn't rule the world anymore, more people are into games than just reclusive geeks, and the industry is thriving. The man needs to accept the fact that the vast majority of FPS players aren't the villainous jocks from every nerd movie ever made. There needs to be more than one voice of reason and wisdom on this site because Bob's constant dismisal and even belittleing of the FPS genre and its fans is wearing out its welcome.
Not trying to dismiss this point as there is true to what you say and we should not stereotype the entire FPS genre. But it doesn't help that I can go onto any modern FPS and listen for about 2 minutes and half the crap that is sputtered by players is immature, imbecilic, and senseless.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Freakout456 said:
Fox242 said:
I'm getting more than a little sick of Bob's uber geek crap here. We all know the VGAs are a fucking joke, but Bob's constant dismisal of the current state of the industry is more than a little grating. Nintendo doesn't rule the world anymore, more people are into games than just reclusive geeks, and the industry is thriving. The man needs to accept the fact that the vast majority of FPS players aren't the villainous jocks from every nerd movie ever made. There needs to be more than one voice of reason and wisdom on this site because Bob's constant dismisal and even belittleing of the FPS genre and its fans is wearing out its welcome.
Not trying to dismiss this point as there is true to what you say and we should not stereotype the entire FPS genre. But it doesn't help that I can go onto any modern FPS and listen for about 2 minutes and half the crap that is sputtered by players is immature, imbecilic, and senseless.
Dude, it's called trash talking. Sports type people trash talk each other to try and make the other guys slip up, it's just more intense because of internet anonymity.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
If the Oscars were the VGAs the actual awards part would amount to about half an hour while the rest of it would be taken up by shitty pyrotechnics and musical performances by people who have nothing to do with the films in question.

munkymp3

Dec 19, 2009
"At least they aren't the VGA's." I almost literally clapped. I hate SpikeTV, not only because it's an extremely sexist and misogynistic network but it's also really insulting to many communities, including the gaming community.

Extra Credits did a really great piece on the VGA's as well. Google "Our Oscars Extra Credits" if anyone is interested. It's really awesome. Border House also did a really terrific (and sarcastic) spin on the VGA's with their "Rejected VGA Categories" Check it out because it's also true of SpikeTV and their shit-tastic award show :)

Basically, I agree with everything you said and love everything you did about this, especially because it's all pretty much true. You're freaking awesome!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Long story short, the whole world and VGAs still see video gaming as a juvenile thing only immature adults and little kids like.