The Big Picture: In Defense of "Booth Babes" (sort of)

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
Drinking game! Every time someone uses the term "white knight" in this thread. You people need some more catch phrases to make your reductive opinions not so repetitive.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
MovieBob, I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about everyone rushing in to address the symptoms of the problem (in this case, latent misogyny present is the gaming community) instead of actually trying to FIX the real problem. Of course, that's because the symptoms can easily be fixed by rules ("We're going to ban 'booth babes' from the convention, because we want to be gender inclusive" instead of "Um, people, maybe we should do a better job of being an inclusive gaming society here. You think? Maybe? Hello?"

Then again, I think society loves to do that in general. Really fixing an issue takes deep though, hard work, and (many times) tough choices. Removing symptoms? That's easy! And it makes us feel like we accomplished something!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Fair points Bob. People do tend to go a bit crazy with the "booth babe" junk. To the point where it doesn't sound like they really are talking about people anymore.

And I also remember an incident, similar to what you're talking about, that led Cory and Grey to make a comic about the thing.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10060-Fake-Geek-Girls

It would just be funny, if there weren't people who actually believe it was real. ;p

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
It's funny because Computex Taipei 2013 recently happened, it's the world's 2nd largest tech convention where a TON of major tech companies (Asus, nVidia, AMD, etc) get to reveal/promote their newest products to the world.

One of the big attractions of that event (besides all the new sexy tech) were the "booth babes" - i.e. models who wore the respective colors/tattoos of the companies they were representing and promoting. Their job was to walk around the showroom floor, attract attention, wave signs, hand out information, guide people to booths, pose with tech for photos, dance to music, etc.

For example the ASRock girl (with an Intel bag!):

And the G.Skill girls, probably some of the best in the show:
Yes, that's RAM they're holding. Low-latency high performance sexy RAM. Mmmmmm-*gets slapped on the head*

BLARGH pulling away from that, frankly I didn't really see any mass-complaints about the booth babes, in the end people still went there for TECH and they got what they wanted - the girls were the icing on the cake. Their job is to promote the product and attract attention - and it works, so that's exactly what the companies will keep doing! It also gets those models jobs/experience and gets them paid.

Plus this is tech we're talking about here, we've got reviewers and PC geeks to drone on and on about the performance for months to come...but we've only got those few precious days to flaunt the colors, girls, make some noise, attract some media, have a party, etc and they TAKE that chance.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
Monxeroth said:
Johkmil said:
Monxeroth said:
*Long-winded Youtube video*

I feel like this video has a lot of relevance here since it also adresses Bobs flaws in simple reasoning, something that is very well demonstrated in this weeks video on the *coughs* defense of booth babes...
The video lost the rest of its already shaky credibility on 7:05 with "everyone's favourite lesbian lumberjack." (The majority was lost underway, including on some creative characterizations of MovieBob, although he himself is not always the most delicate in avoiding name calling.)
Wellthatslikeyouropinionman.jpg

I guess its too bad most of the "creative characterizations of moviebob" actually hold water, actually has substance and more than often hit spot on, if they didnt your argument mightve been just as reasonable but ah well, try again, maybe next time, good luck on that.

Of course he isnt, to err is human you know and never once did i imply i could ever justify namecalling even in the embed video so...not sure what the hissy fit is all about :L
Oh, his arguments might or might not hold water, but when he is completely unable to mention Bob without his personal weight, they are pulled into the depths.
And hissy fit? I am barely irritated at worst. Becoming emotional about internet issues is the definition of wasted energy.

Kururu999

Mar 14, 2011
varmintx said:
Drinking game! Every time someone uses the term "white knight" in this thread. You people need some more catch phrases to make your reductive opinions not so repetitive.
Can I play a different drinking game where I take a drink every time someone passive aggressively bitches about people using the term white knight? I honestly think I'll get drunker that way.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
And so once again Lewis's Law is demonstrated. I'm actually almost gladdened that I'm not the only person in this thread sick and tired of this crap.

ellieallegro

Mar 8, 2013
Personally, I find it sad that the vast majority of people can't seem to separate or tell the difference between "the actual person" and the job/entertainment personality they play a part of or do. Granted, living adjacent to the entertainment industry in LA all my life might have given me a little perspective but I see idiots who can't make this distinction almost everyday. In short, I will just leave this here (courtesy of wil wheaton's tumblr):

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Lunar Templar said:
*sighs*

we really are getting a LOT of 'common sense' content lately, it's getting kinda depressing.
What part is depressing?

That we are getting so much, xD or that some may actually need it?

Oh well. At least we got some interesting teasers from Bob about what he wants to do next. And Jim promised that if we're all good boys and girls.

:D He'll bring out his new dragon tongue! He found a way to combine the anticipation of Christmas, and the horror of Halloween! ;p

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Omnicrom said:
And so once again Lewis's Law is demonstrated. I'm actually almost gladdened that I'm not the only person in this thread sick and tired of this crap.
dear god, you're telling me, I want this community to improve while taking into account the needs of both models and convention planners but we are hanging ourselves with cheap blanket statements and inability to form cohesive arguments

P.S. if i'm part of the problem, please tell me

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
As a side note, on the "geeks have hundreds of words for being a jerk in multi-player matches," a lot of those have different meanings. Griefing is ruining game for by actively interfering with your team's ability to win (say, locking your team in the spawn, giving ammo to the enemy, or other such nonsense) while something like glitching means a player who uses exploits for advantages the developers hadn't expected (building turrets in places where they can't be shot, walking on skybox, etc). There are many ways you can be a jerk
Also, Eskimos do not have fifty words for snow. They just really like compound words.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Personally, I would consider the larger problem is folks who pretend to have passion for something they don't care about, male or female.

A comicbook movie director telling me he doesn't care about the comic books (ie Tim Burton), or has never read them (ie Bret Ratner) gets as much distrust as someone who says they never cared for gaming, but it was the only way for them to use their writing talents (such as some of the writers for BW, although the over-reactions there were by no means justified).

Nerds have been getting crapped upon for a while, so I suppose the "bro-dudes" and "babes" could be galling to a subculture who were previously derided by these figures.

Not saying that it's fair to react in the way certain gamers have been. It seems like I'm arguing this same point every day. In general, most of the fans are alright. It's a few of the crazies that ruin it for the rest of us; it doesn't matter what fandom (comics, games, movies, etc).

Heck, look at all the crap JK Rowling got over some of her choices in writing. I can't say I cared for the last Harry Potter book, but it's her own darn story, and it isn't like she ended the story on some nebulous cliffhanger.

I just seem to be getting this feeling of misplaced righteous indignation coming from all sides, whether it be folks reporting on the heinous acts of a cross section of individuals, or said individuals who somehow feel justified in their actions.

I prefer to say the anonymity of the internet remove all filters, and those of us who aren't as mature (regardless of age) are ill equipped to behave properly in such an environment. However, this behavior has always been there, the internet just makes it easier for all to see.

For example: a few anime/manga creators I enjoy got death threats over their works, well before the age of the internet became prevalent. This was a small cross-section, but a frightening one nonetheless. Now, under those circumstances, a restraining order or other punitive measure would not be unheard of.

We have no similar recourse online. While I consider the case of the facebook post of that LoL player to be extreme, some form of ban, suspension, fine, or warning should be warranted in cases where people legitimately threaten the safety of other people.