The Big Picture: In Defense of Nostalgia

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
That's the problem with left-wing people. They always think that their political viewpoint is "intellectual" or "progressive", and everybody that doesn't agree with them are "old-fashioned" and "ignorant". Just like it's wrong write off all remakes of old movies, it's wrong to write off people with different political opinions than yours.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
...If you want to hear people complain about COD being the same thing over and over then go to /v/ and start a COD thread

see how that ends

"Some guy thinks the Thundercats redesign is the worst thing that has ever happen"

and then they saw the new Cheetara

then it was never heard of again

cymonsgames

Dec 17, 2010
I am getting tired of the gay marriage thing being dredged up over and over again whenever someone wants to show how liberal they are. I agree that the majority of people who oppose gay marriage generally do so for the wrong reasons, but that doesn't make it right. If you're right for the wrong reasons, you're still right.

But I'm not willing to even discuss why they might be right with people who are so bent on being "forward thinking" that they can't consider that maybe, just maybe, the ignorant, scared, slavering masses might be right about this one.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
I saw what you did there! Bob don't try to make your inability to let go of the past sound less stale by comparison to more controversial figures that aren't directly involved with geek culture. But if you want to see a game that is new and refreshing but still takes many ques from older games try Bastion.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
"nostalgia" is one of those words I never want to hear again next to "like", "political correctness" and "sexist".

Another good week Bob.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Can't help but notice the two areas he calls a "problem" are both Republican ideas. Someone's showing their democrat side. Wonder how long till Xan and that one nut who complains about how left wing the Escapist and the internet are get here. I smell poorly enforced boycott!

But in seriousness, perspective would be good, but nobody is ever capable of true perspective. Our own experiences shape our perception of the world.
Like Bob said before, he isn't against the left or right. He's against ignorance, and bad ideas.
Also, people from both left and right have said that video games are turning kids into evil hellmonkeys, and in my opinion that's shows that ignorance and stupidity have joined both wings.

"A wise man once said; "A politician is someone who can talk for hours, and not really say anything.""
So vote Hideo Kojima for high Emperor of the Universe. :)

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
TWEWER said:
That's the problem with left-wing people. They always think that their political viewpoint is "intellectual" or "progressive", and everybody that doesn't agree with them are "old-fashioned" and "ignorant". Just like it's wrong write off all remakes of old movies, it's wrong to write off people with different political opinions than yours.
Bob wasn't writing off those political opinions "because they were different". I thought Bob gave his reasons quite clearly. Although quite frankly it is rather unrealistic to expect a proper discussion on the can of worms he opened in the confines of a 5-minute show.

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
Too true, too true. The priorities of the masses are always baffling. Here in Brazil, it's all about Football. Our government is packed to the brim of corruption that sucks up a big chunk of the people's income for their yatis, summer houses and whatnot, but people kinda conformed to it, and when someone who is actually honest shows up, they say he's being "naive". On the other hand, if you speak ill of any A-League football team on tv or the internet, suddenly it's all "I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, YOU SON OF A *****!"

To make it worse, sometimes they do follow with their threats. Can someone tell me why the world has so much stupid people? Logically, they should be the ones dying faster.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
cymonsgames said:
I am getting tired of the gay marriage thing being dredged up over and over again whenever someone wants to show how liberal they are. I agree that the majority of people who oppose gay marriage generally do so for the wrong reasons, but that doesn't make it right. If you're right for the wrong reasons, you're still right.

But I'm not willing to even discuss why they might be right with people who are so bent on being "forward thinking" that they can't consider that maybe, just maybe, the ignorant, scared, slavering masses might be right about this one.
I'm sorry but if you are not willing to discuss it maybe you shouldn't say ignorant things.
The reason (at least in my mind) why the Gay Marriage thing is used so often is because it's a really clear example. It's a good baseline for establishing you have decent values. To be opposed to Gay Marriage is, when you get down to it, someone giving a fuck where there should be no fucks given.
As long as Gay marriage isn't a normal thing in one of the world's biggest and most influential countries, it should be brought up, because it's a goddamn huge injustice

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Agent Larkin said:
..... Yeah I don't think that's a good idea. Mostly because I don't want to die from famine.
If the Oregon Trail has taught me anything, it's that back then people died of dysentery, and only dysentery.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
The reality of the situation is that America was never the lovely place that certain people like to imagine it was. I bet if I asked my 70 year old African-American grandmother if she would have rather lived in the Mississippi of her childhood or the present, she would choose the latter. Social change tends to make things better for the entire society, and if you're one of the people looking for a 50's style America than you were probably very ignorant of the suffering of the rest of the population or simply didn't care.

Also, I can honestly say that the Thundercats remake is probably one of the better ones I've seen and is definitely worth a look to the fans of the old version.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Agayek said:
Agent Larkin said:
..... Yeah I don't think that's a good idea. Mostly because I don't want to die from famine.
If the Oregon Trail has taught me anything, it's that back then people died of dysentery, and only dysentery.
And if my history class taught me anything its that people died of starvation from the potato's failing. And then getting stuffed on boats to countries that didn't want them.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
cymonsgames said:

I'm honestly really curious now. Why is it even potentially right to deny someone else the same rights you enjoy?

Honestly, I couldn't care less for gay marriage, but I've never heard an argument against it that was any stronger than "God said so!", and that's simply not a compelling reason. I'd like your take on it, since you clearly disagree.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Agent Larkin said:
And if my history class taught me anything its that people died of starvation from the potato's failing. And then getting stuffed on boats to countries that didn't want them.
Are you calling the Oregon Trail a liar?!

Pistols at 20 paces, name the place!

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I thought maybe this was to address the valiant, but failed "Please give Conan a chance" campaign I've been running.

But I capitulate.
And in my sadness, I resign myself to the understanding that all good things must come to an end, and that I have probably seen the last live action depiction of Conan in my lifetime.
I guess I can go to my grave grateful for having had the three we got, and retreat into solitude with my book collection.

I guess this is the real problem with nostalgia.
Sometimes we just love things other people don't love, and when that happens, it hurts.
it hurts us in our hearts.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Good episode. I do think that the reason the 'white text on black screen' is supposed to be taken so seriously is because of two simple reasons. The first is silence. Silence is any form of audio media is meant to signify something fairly major, even if it's only the end of a song. Such as when the music completely cuts out of a movie, it normally means that something big and likely depressing is happening. The second is even more simple. White text against a black screen is the exact opposite of what we're trained to read. We're used to black on white, not the other way around. That's why when white is on black, it seems to have a lot more of an impact.

As for nostalgia, I think it isn't that bad. In fact nostalgia is good in some forms. After all, I think having positive nostalgia towards a game/movie/book/etc from your childhood means that it did what it was meant to do at the time. Maybe not as well as you remember of course. And as for the political thing, that's pretty much how I feel about it to. I'm not saying all in the group in question feel that way, but I do feel like a lot of the influence is older white men who use the fear of change to try keeping their power. I could go further into that, but it seems pointless as I refuse to debate political ideals. But to leave it off fair, I think that both parties are bad as a two-party system is a foolish way to run a government (and yes, I do live in the US if it's not obvious).

Strife2GFAQs said:
The "stupid nostalgia" as I like to call it is relegated to discussions about the geek fandom, and even the music and film industry. I can't begin to remember the amount of times I read some dip**** on the internet talk about a new Iron Maiden record or FF game and say, "It's not as good as the old stuff." That's the line everyone hides behind without feeling the need to justify WHY they think the album or the game sucks. It doesn't bother me when people use it, only when made to be their weak crutch when they can't stand on or refuse to make a case for themselves. Some franchises (Dragon Quest) can thrive on nostalgia because the formula still works. Those that don't have the same quality control can't and shouldn't get a free pass.
I both agree and disagree with you. It really depends on what they're saying is 'not as good as the old stuff.' If it's the gameplay, then that is a major problem IF the gameplay is supposed to be like the 'old stuff.' If the gameplay is supposed to evolve and try something different, then it's silly to compare it to the old stuff as they're trying something different. Comparing it in terms of story, visuals, and other things that stay relatively the same is a lot easier to say if it's not as good as the old stuff or now.

Taking an example you mentioned, FF, I didn't like the newest non-MMO game. I don't begrudge them for trying something new with FF13. But in comparison with the other games of the series I've played, FF13 just never made me care about the characters or story like the others did in the first few hours. I liked the openings of FF7, 9, and 10. Even 12 (I think, the sky-pirate one), which I didn't care for the battle system in that, got me interested enough in the characters where I played it further.

Of course, that's just one example, but my point is that comparing it to previous games or movies of a series isn't a bad thing or a weak arguement when done right. I think it needs to be explained rather then just saying it isn't as good, and I don't think that the new game or movie should be hated just because it changes aspects. But when it changes the aspects to be significantly worse in the person who's making the arguement's eyes, then it should be said that it isn't as good as the older ones of the series. But as I said before, that shouldn't just be left unexplained either.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Since geek nostalgia isn't a real problem, complaining about it is not a real problem either, so we can all continue as before.

The important thing is that arguing about the decline is fun.