The Big Picture: In Defense of Nostalgia

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I miss the 1840's. That's the ideal that should be restored.

Bring back the Whig party!!!!

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
The "stupid nostalgia" as I like to call it is relegated to discussions about the geek fandom, and even the music and film industry. I can't begin to remember the amount of times I read some dip**** on the internet talk about a new Iron Maiden record or FF game and say, "It's not as good as the old stuff." That's the line everyone hides behind without feeling the need to justify WHY they think the album or the game sucks. It doesn't bother me when people use it, only when made to be their weak crutch when they can't stand on or refuse to make a case for themselves. Some franchises (Dragon Quest) can thrive on nostalgia because the formula still works. Those that don't have the same quality control can't and shouldn't get a free pass.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
That is so cool. I don't have many old superhero comic-books from childhood, but I got a few from my older brothers. I have maybe 2 HULK albums, one x-men and then there was this old well, perhaps I shouldn't spoil it so early in the comments but Bob you know it... , I grew up with the animated series of everything, but very few comics, so a reference to one of the few I have. Awesome! And to call it your most obscure reference ever! I feel special.
Now I have to find it and refresh my memory. I think I see where you were going with the reference, but it's lie 10 years ago I really read it...

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
ah yes, the idealised 1950, when sexism and backlash from the war was in full force, that's the good old days

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Ne1butme said:

Me too, not for the whig party, more for all that good thing it existed. Like slacvery, segragation and jews being second class citizen. Oh by the way I do not mean the sissy slavery of the modern era, but the good old war slavery of the ancient times. (sarcasm on)

I never really understood nostalgia. Maybe because I'm 22 or because I get the concept of letting go. Either way the show almost became too polical this time.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't mind people enjoying their old-style entertainment, even if that enjoyment is partly derived from nostalgia. Just, uh... please don't try and shove it down my throat. If they're "allowed" to enjoy old stuff, I'm allowed to enjoy the new.

Can't say I really 'get' the nostalgia market myself. For example, I regard the Tintin books with a great deal of nostalgia. I associate them with curling up on a cane chair in front of an open fire and reading to my little ten-year-old heart's content. But, that said, I'm still not particularly interested in that upcoming Tintin movie and tie-in game.

Oh, and lastly, I'm right there with Bob on the politics thing. Although luckily we don't get so much political nostalgia here in Australia. It's around, sure, but I wouldn't really say it's a major driving force or anything.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Ne1butme said:

..... Yeah I don't think that's a good idea. Mostly because I don't want to die from famine.

OT

A good episode there Bob although I have to disagree with your opening text thing. I've never seen a "Very Special Episode" of anything so the text had no affect. If anything it made me more think "Oh Bob is going to comment on something from last week" as youve done that with that style before.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Can't help but notice the two areas he calls a "problem" are both Republican ideas. Someone's showing their democrat side. Wonder how long till Xan and that one nut who complains about how left wing the Escapist and the internet are get here. I smell poorly enforced boycott!

But in seriousness, perspective would be good, but nobody is ever capable of true perspective. Our own experiences shape our perception of the world.
To be fair, I've read Bob's blog and Twitter and he puts quite a lot of weight on how this is a problem for republicans who don't wan't to live in the dark ages. I don't know Bob's political allegiances, so I won't presume to say he's one thing or another but in this case, I'm fairly certain it's nothing to do what color he is, this is about stupid people promoting dangerous mindsets.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I was watching some Family Guy the other day, and I noticed that some of the jokes were making references to things that a lot of people today wouldn't understand. However, the manner in which they presented the joke made it enjoyable on more than simply a nonstalgic level. I believe that such a method is more beneficial than simply making "inside jokes" for a minority.
Long story short, if you want to bring back the old stuff, make sure you present it in a way that lets everyone enjoy themselves. So, Bob, I guess I agree with you. Good work.

Lex Hornman

Jul 26, 2011
I really find it odd that every time an political opinion is given in The United States of America it's always Republican or Democrat. We have So many damn political movements it's just freaky I think we have 7 and that for a country with just 17 million people.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Can't help but notice the two areas he calls a "problem" are both Republican ideas. Someone's showing their democrat side. Wonder how long till Xan and that one nut who complains about how left wing the Escapist and the internet are get here. I smell poorly enforced boycott!

But in seriousness, perspective would be good, but nobody is ever capable of true perspective. Our own experiences shape our perception of the world.
They aren't exclusively republican ideas, but simply conservative ideas. Conservatism isn't the exclusive property of the Republican party (no matter what the talking heads say).

Conservatism, by definition, is the desire to conserve the status quo, perhaps to the point of regressing to an earlier status quo. This feeds into the nostalgia idea. I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but we do tend to look at the past with rose coloured glasses on certain issues. The modern trend of Reagan worship is a good example.

Silent_Protagonist

Jul 6, 2011
As a guy who loves to talk politics, it was REALLY fun to listen to you rant on Glen Beck. (Not sarcasm, actually nice to see there are people who dont blindly follow idiots like Glen Beck.)

OT: I get a lot of heat from my friends when I say that I want the new Mario, or Zelda or cant wait for a remake of an old movie. They say that the games are the same thing. Yet they are insulted when I point out that MW3 and BF3 are basically the same games as their prequels with a tad new features. The fact that any Mario fan can play ANY classic Mario game and feel right at home and a COD player cant stand to play any COD game besides the newest one is why nostalgia works. Dont even get me started on Madden either.

Movies and TV shows are remade to reintroduce a new generation to something great. Yes, Thundercats wont be the same as in the '80s, but it still will be good, and the two generations can have a bridge to one another.

This is probably, next to "Magneto was Right", my favourite The Big Picture.

kara_bulut

Apr 1, 2009
True there mate.

But not being American sometimes I kind of lose track what you're talking about Bob.
You gotto assume that not all of your audiance are going to be American's.

There are 6 other continents on Earth you know ?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'm with you on this one, some things aren't successful because of nostalgia in the sense that it exploits peoples fond memories of the past, but because it works. Also great that someone is addressing the whole "CoD is the same every year" thing.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
As if I really care if anyone thinks lesser of me because Skyward Sword is my most anticipated game of the year.

Good video, though. And yeah...politics are just fucked today in America. A good many Republicans do crave for a cultural arrested development. And Democrats tend to be "do nothing" types who ride the waves created by clueless celebrity endorsements.