The Big Picture: Junk Drawer 2014

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Kite looked too depressing for me so I skipped that anime. I don't think I'll watch the LA adaptation either.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
SlightlyEvil said:
The Gentleman said:

Yeah, I think he could be Luthor. Can you imagine him in a fitted suit? Hell, say what you will about the Daredevil movie, Michael Clark Duncan did work decently as a slightly slimmed down Kingpin. All you need is a director willing to effectively force Johnson to speak in a more eloquent (or even a forced eloquent) voice.
Come to think of it, since MCD is no longer with us, Johnson would be a pretty good Kingpin. Especially since they're working on a Daredevil series.
Nah, a part of the Kingpin character is his girth (to which he has a complex about), which the late Mr. Duncan had in the form of extremely large... everything. Granted it was all muscle, but if he was wearing a suit, he'd look more fat than buff. Johnson's body doesn't quite match the consistency to suggest that given his broader shoulders.

Could you imagine Duncan as Luthor though? That would be interesting, if only to hear the internet racists go berserk

Sejborg

Jun 7, 2010
The Rock as Luthor is one of the worst suggestions I have heard in a long time. I get the feeling Bob just want the movie to be as bad as possible.

Here is a better suggestion: Corey Stoll

But really. I could have named almost anyone and they would have been better.

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Leonardo Huizar said:
Hey Bobby, His name is Green Lantern *John Stewart*, Not the "Black GL" That is not the 1st time you did "that" when mentioning him.

You know the Not a Racist towards black americans, killer of GL corp, destroyer of govt property and his own movie franchise.

The Marine, guy who used his construction expertise to design the watchtower, 2nd oldest earthborn GL, and one of top instructors of the GL corp
I don't know about you, but last time I checked, Jon Stewart was Jewish.

BOOM!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
themilo504 said:
Um could somebody please tell me what kite is?
Kite was an OVA from the 90s that sort of acted like a prototype for the later OVA and anime series Mezzo Forte. Not the same franchise, but the same creators. Here's an internet critic giving a more in depth analysis/play it up for yuks.
http://blip.tv/sagereviews/anime-abandon-kite-5956115

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Ok, forcing Batman into a Superman sequel was ok, but still a stupid idea. But still could be a good movie. Now, if what Bob said is true, they are just pushing every single character into it to rush out a JL movie for 2015. Is it me or is this a really stupid thing to do? How will they ever do any of the characters just like Marvel did with their characters. DC are rushing it - and every new bit of information on the BvS movie makes me less interested and more looking forward to it bombing to death.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Another year, another round of the junk drawer. Lesee what we got...

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers - I honestly did not know that. Huh.

The Resurrection of Brain Griffin - Can you say "cheap attention grabber"? Or maybe I'm just still bitter that the same sort of thing was done (much better in my honest opinion) on "South Park", and yet the still returned to the status quo in the next f***ing episode. Also, I'm hesitant about them crossing "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" but I guess my curiosity will get the better of me...

Your take on Lex Luthor- That sounds... interesting. At least it's give him a bit more character...

That's all for now, unless I can think of anything else I want to say (which is highly doubtful).

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
That bit on "The Beef" was too funny.

And can DC/Warner Bros just say they're making a Justice League movie? Seriously, with the 'cameo' list they keep adding to, it doesn't sound like they're just making a Superman-Batman crossover. Are we supposed to be that stupid to not see what they're doing, or are they just too afraid to actually say it?

That being said, would LOVE to see the Rock play Lex. Really solid idea IMHO, though you're right that it would really get the 'Net freaking out over in (both for and against).

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Kite looked too depressing for me so I skipped that anime. I don't think I'll watch the LA adaptation either.
The anime was amazing. Great story and has probably one of the most evil lines ever (in the dubbed version) used in an anime film.

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off. Hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god."

It was picked up and used in "Pretty Toy" by Velvet Acid Christ. Absolutely evil line, love it.

But a live action?

ehhh..

uh...

no....

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Nice to see Bob dipping back into the Junk Drawer once again. Just hope he hasn't come down with the convention bug like Linkara did.

Need to see Wolf of Wall Street before it leaves theaters.

Haven't seen 2 Broke Girls but, then again, I could give half a rat's ass what's on CBS so I've gotta abstain.

Also, people getting their nipples in a twist about stuff like that... please, seek professional help or find a better hobby to waste your time.

Didn't know about the Rescuers/Rescue Rangers trivia but I knew about the Indiana Jones tidbit.

Kite? Never heard of it. Need to do some research on that topic.

Shia LaBeouf... You know what? Not to be that guy but, in regards to his douche-bag acts of stupidity, I'm just gonna leave this here.

Brian's back? Yeah, that was quick but I haven't really been into Family Guy that much. Especially after seeing the one episode where Meg vents her frustrations towards her family and their cruelty but decides to be their punching bag after seeing that, without her, they degenerate into total pieces of shit.

Yeah.

Maybe I got the message wrong on that episode but, still...

Seth MacFarlane, when you promote a message like that, whether its intended to be funny or not, me thinks its time to quit this shit show and find something better to do with your fucking time.

UGH! The ongoing rumor mill on the production of Superman/Batman is making me lose even more faith in its production and its handlers. Then again, I had little faith going into this.

Although, I am sold on Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on being Lex Luthor. In All-Star Superman (a comic book series I highly recommend to any fan of Superman or anyone looking for something fun yet touching), Lex's inferiority complex was well documented even on the physical level. Plus, it would be cool to see The Rock pull off another villain role.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
ITS BEEN FAR TO LONG! i really miss these junk drawer episodes. It gives me my biweekly dose of bob along with satisfying my stumber attention span.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Interesting episode, though I'd like to have heard more about Shia LeBeouf, since I am only peripherally aware of whatever's going on with him (stole a script, stole an apology, I dunno). If anyone could have made me show interest in whatever that twerp's problem is, it's Bob Chipman.

The Gentleman said:
Could you imagine Duncan as Luthor though? That would be interesting, if only to hear the internet racists go berserk.
Why wouldn't they revolt for Dwayne Johnson? I mean, his skin ain't that color because he tans.

Oh well, if I'm going to make fun of racists, I should probably be going at it from the "how weird is it to think a fictional character has a race" angle anyway.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
porpoise hork said:
-Dragmire- said:
The anime was amazing. Great story and has probably one of the most evil lines ever (in the dubbed version) used in an anime film.

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off. Hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god."

It was picked up and used in "Pretty Toy" by Velvet Acid Christ. Absolutely evil line, love it.

But a live action?

ehhh..

uh...

no....
My heart is kinda easily hooked by many types of media, so I go for more lighthearted things. Nodame Cantabile is more my type of anime.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Oh, yes... The Lex Luthor whose "evil genius" concocted plots involving things like "flying landmines" (apparently no one at Silver-Age DC realized there was any significance to that whole "land" part of "landmine") was so much more interesting than the one who's actually, y'know, relevant.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
I'm sold on the idea of Dwayne Johnson as Lex, especially the way Bob described it. But then again Bob did go on to say that Silver Age Lex was somehow better than the modern version... yeah, I think Bob needs to turn in his geek card for that one.

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
At least call it Junk Drawer 2014 part 1 otherwise you will have to make it till 2015 without a "bitty" but interesting episode.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Man of Steel and Man of Steel 2 still a better Dragonball Z movie(s) than that abomination that shall not be named.

The Shia "scandal" was too funny when i read about it.

Now i have an urge to want to see Kite (anime)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I'm sorry, but the rape scene in both versions of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was enough for me. I'd prefer not to see where a Kite adaptation takes that >.>
Yeah, and it would be hard enough to adapt a 45 minute OVA (60 if you count the hentai scenes) that fetures exploding bullets, corrupt cops, rape, and the main concept of child assassins. Seriously, I get that Samuel L. Jackson is in it and he probably actually watched Kite or at least knows about anime so he can help make the movie an american cultural adaptation of what is probably a concept with a lot of Japanese foreign concepts but unless they aim for an extreme violence and grit audience, it will just seem like a pale shadow of the original (seriously, the hand has a hole the size of the palm and the blood is minimal, I doubt they will do the rape of Sawa or any of the other infamous scenes). Seriously, the only way to have a worse project would be to do a trilogy of Kill La Kill movies (despite the pandering, there is a bit of brain and cultural symbolism behind each character and I bet that the glove will cause cry of rage since it's can be loosely related to suicide which does not has much of a stigma in Japan).

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
themilo504 said:
Um could somebody please tell me what kite is?
Kite [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(film)] is a movie involving a girl who has her parents murdered and then is sexually abused by two corrupt cops and forced to become a child assassin who's signature is sub-dermal exploding bullets

America doesn't have a good track record of adapting Japanese horror to the American market so how are they going to do anything with a concept and OVA which is full of Japanese cultural quirks.

Christ, why does Hollywood want to try to adapt Japanese media when I have a feeling most directors don't have enough of experience with anime or Japanese culture to do it justice.