The Big Picture: Junk Drawer: Game On

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Fensfield said:
I... that Playstation Vita bit was immensely uncomfortable. I've no knowledge of Zelda, so I'll stay out on that, and I wholly agree on Soul Calibur's advertising but..

That really felt bad. It felt.. spiteful, basically, and worst didn't even make clear why - is it because of the supposed Nintendo fanboyism? Is it because of the system's price? Or is it just because the Vita's core appeal is to a seemingly different and somewhat niche crowd?

Either way.. it.. was uncomfortable, put a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the episode, and seemed really clumsy given it wasn't possible to interpret as anything but spite given I couldn't draw any further point or justification from it.
Because every reason people give for why they believe the Vita is better than the 3DS is nearly identical to the previous comparison between the PSP and the DS. I can see why he doesn't have high hopes for it.

remnant_phoenix said:
If Sony would stop creating overpriced proprietary memory formats, I (and Bob too, I imagine) would be more willing to get Vita a chance.

Sony COULD have had the Vita use SD Cards. Hell, they COULD have even allowed it to use the memory sticks that the PSP and Sony laptops use. But no, they're going to keep the ability to save data behind a velvet rope unless you slip the bouncer a fat wad of cash...just because they CAN.

Sony can take their precious Vita and shove up their money-grubbing rear-ends.
That also doesn't help. You can definitely tell that Sony is an electronics company first and a gaming company....further down the list. Literally the ONLY reason I got a PSP was to play the Tactics Ogre remake and so far NOTHING on the Vita looks interesting enough for me to buy it.

Sgt-Thrust

Aug 28, 2011
Dear Movie Bob. I have been a fan for a while now and i feel you are a very smart and influential man never afraid to stand up for what he believes in and speak his mind. While i am quite sure you've already heard all about this i'd like to share with you this video in hope that you agree and spread it yourself, maybe even do your own video on the subject. While the decision is fully yours to make i hope that you'll agree with our side. Here is the link.

Thank you

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa

Sgt-Thrust

Aug 28, 2011
Dear Movie Bob. I have been a fan for a while now and i feel you are a very smart and influential man never afraid to stand up for what he believes in and speak his mind. While i am quite sure you've already heard all about this i'd like to share with you this video in hope that you agree and spread it yourself, maybe even do your own video on the subject. While the decision is fully yours to make i hope that you'll agree with our side. Here is the link.

Thank you

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
daxterx2005 said:
So wait, Bob thinks Vita is going to flop....?
I was under the impression it was going to out do EVERYTHING the 3DS does (besides 3d obviously)
What gives? Am I missing something? Was there like an announcement somewhere that puts Nintendo comfortably above the Vita?
Last I heard, it costed the same, had nearly ps3 graphics and tons of third party support....
So again I say "what?"
You mean kinda like how the PSP was going to out do EVERYTHING the DS did (besides the touch screen, obviously)? Yeah, I think we've been down this road before.
Difference is DS was a hit right off the bat, it was literally flying off the shelves "it prints money"
3DS isn't preforming nearly as well as Nintendo had hoped, plus they've had to lower the price.
I mean hell, when Ocarina of Time 3D was released they thought the 3DSs would be flying off the shelves.....
Comparing 3DS to DS's success is laughable at best. 3DS is essentially the Gameboy Color of this generation, same handheld with some new added goodies.

GB -> GB Pocket -> GBC -> GBA/SP/Micro
DS -> DSlite/i/xl -> 3DS -> "3DS successor"

Thats how I see it anyway. I don't expect the 3DSAdvance till like 2015 or so.

Just for the record, I'm not insulting you or trying to start a flame war....I'm just explaining why I think the Vita is going to give the 3DS a run for its money.
Hell, Im primarily a Nintendo fan so I'd love for the 3DS to crush the Vita. As of right now tho...I don't see it happening.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Aiddon said:
Because every reason people give for why they believe the Vita is better than the 3DS is nearly identical to the previous comparison between the PSP and the DS. I can see why he doesn't have high hopes for it.
Thank you, that is the impression of an explanation I had gathered from the thread.

The fact remains however that 'Bob hasn't clarified matters for his own part. And even if he did, it also remains that that bit was an ugly, clumsy, seemingly spiteful little move that mis-coloured the rest of the video and.. frankly seemed below the impression I had got of him - not that my impression is that immensely high in many ways, but still.

I honestly don't know how the Playstation Vita will do - although I am optimistic, and I am getting one; I want desperately to play Wipeout 2048 and that .. game.. meh, gravity control or something, it looked interesting. I don't expect it to 'beat' the 3DS however, but I bet it'll do what I want it to - be the platform turns up the titles I'm most interested in and have success enough, at least, to persist as a platform companies make games for.

But to just do something like 'Bob did there, rather than discuss the issue properly? Sorry that just comes off as mean, to me. Then again a fair amount of these sometimes do - not least the ones attack religion and all. They're nice from an informative angle but.. Well, 'looks like it sparked discussion anyhow.

Yeah. Bad form or so, in my opinion. 'Hope the bad taste doesn't linger enough to put me off watching henceforth.. I'm a tad over-sensitive when it comes to that sort of thing.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Fensfield said:
Aiddon said:
Thank you, that is the impression of an explanation I had gathered from the thread.

The fact remains however that 'Bob hasn't clarified matters for his own part. And even if he did, it also remains that that bit was an ugly, clumsy, seemingly spiteful little move that mis-coloured the rest of the video and.. frankly seemed below the impression I had got of him - not that my impression is that immensely high in many ways, but still.

I honestly don't know how the Playstation Vita will do - although I am optimistic, and I am getting one; I want desperately to play Wipeout 2048 and that .. game.. meh, gravity control or something, it looked interesting. I don't expect it to 'beat' the 3DS however, but I bet it'll do what I want it to - be the platform turns up the titles I'm most interested in and have success enough, at least, to persist as a platform companies make games for.

But to just do something like 'Bob did there, rather than discuss the issue properly? Sorry that just comes off as mean, to me. Then again a fair amount of these sometimes do - not least the ones attack religion and all. They're nice from an informative angle but.. Well, 'looks like it sparked discussion anyhow.

Yeah. Bad form or so, in my opinion. 'Hope the bad taste doesn't linger enough to put me off watching henceforth.. I'm a tad over-sensitive when it comes to that sort of thing.
Bob was not being spiteful, you're just being overdramatic. His GameOverthinker episode about Sony's rise to the top being nothing more than luck probably helps explain things better:

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/08/episode-39-emperor-has-no-clothes.html

The Vita just looks BORING from a gaming perspective. It's using the exact same strategy the PSP did and it's just gonna get another beatdown from Nintendo who's the undisputed emperor of that part of the market.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Hungry Donner said:
wooty said:
In terms of the Soul Calibue poster, Its Japan, from what I saw over there everything is sexualized or made to look "alluring" in some way.

I doubt we'll see the same advert in the west to be honest, we tend to be a lot more vocal and/or prudish to this kind of thing......except in shitty music videos.
I was thinking the same thing. It's excellent material for the sexism/sexy divide, but I don't want to judge Japanese advertizing by Western standards.

Although I'd be happier if she actually had a face.
the same western standards that saw a beloved female comics character turned into a creepy, emotionless amnesiac sex doll in the recent DC update, as well as gave us several closeups of catwomans lingerie clad ass and boobs several pages before they showed us her face?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Aiddon said:
Fensfield said:
Aiddon said:

Bob was not being spiteful, you're just being overdramatic. His GameOverthinker episode about Sony's rise to the top being nothing more than luck probably helps explain things better:

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/08/episode-39-emperor-has-no-clothes.html

The Vita just looks BORING from a gaming perspective. It's using the exact same strategy the PSP did and it's just gonna get another beatdown from Nintendo who's the undisputed emperor of that part of the market.
Love how your stating your opinions as facts.

Yeah, because the 3DS was such a REVELATION from the DS. Yeah it's not like they AREN'T THE SAME but with some small differences. Nope, the 3DS is COMPETELY DIFFERENT, something NEW and Revolutionary!

Vita looks better then the 3DS, easy to use touch screen/back screen, great graphics, dual analog sticks built it rather then an later addition. Plus it doesn't have the pointless 3D. Really every time I hear someone using it, they always have the 3D off. Wasn't that supposed to be the big part about the whole system?

Plus why would you want to use it? I am not saying 3D is bad, but it uses up the battery of an already low battery life system.

Also how does it look "Boring", you don't explain how at all. You just keep saying it like if everyone who reads it is suddenly going to be "Yup, that explains everything."

The 3DS is nothing more then a slightly updated DS. The Vita while similar shape to the PSP, actually added more then just 3D and an analog stick and it's updates in graphics are way more substiantal. Hell Infinity Blade 2 looks better then any 3DS games, and that's on an iPod!

The Vita not only added a 2nd analog stick which makes the possiblity of more genre's coming to the system and working well (FPS to be exact, ever tried playing one on a DS, Bleh) and it's easy touch screen and back screen are much easier to touch since you don't have to worry about the 2nd screen. Despite it's also better graphics, it even has a better battery! On Destructoid they posted a video comparing the battery life of the 3DS to the Vita when just being left on.

The 3DS was playing Monster Hunter 3G.

Yet the PsVita was playing:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Now to explain, on an iPod, if you play a game with better graphics, the battery will die faster and slower for a less graphically intense game.

Yet the 3DS died faster by playing a game that's graphics (which both games were sitting in one spot) that have nothing on Uncharted in anyway. That to be is technically inferior and is a bad thing consdiering it is now 2012.

I will get the article with the video, but currently Dtoid is down due to SOPA.

Lastly you're using Bob's other show to back your statement up? Really? That's like asking the Nintendo Fanboy to explain why Nintendo is better. He is bias. While everyone is no doubt bias, Bob is to the extreame. Half of his points on gaming, are always meh (though some parts of this episode are decent for once) but all of them come down to.

"Nintendo IS BETTER. COD Sucks, Halo Sucks, NINTENDO FOR THE WIN."

Something always along those lines. Hell did you see his first episode of the Big Pitcure? All about Halo, and showed clearly he HAD NO UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME AT ALL. But kept going on about things that made no sense at all.

Bascially you're taking a person's who opinions are soo one sided its not even funny.

/Rant.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I saw this thing called an iCade that is like a little arcade cabinet that you put an iPad into. I have no idea if it works for existing games or if it's preloaded with cheap knock-offs of pac-man and whatnot, but hey, it... exists.

Haven't played Skyward Sword but remember that "hefty barkeep" and "native american doctor" in Twilight Princess? That's kind of something, even though he wasn't into her when you talk to him later.

maconlon439

Nov 16, 2011
Don't jump the gun on whether or not we will see Fi again. If you asked me when I first played Majora's Mask I seriously doubted we would ever see Tingle again.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
My idea of sexism is more in how something is portrayed rather than an item or object itself. Example, imagine one of those Amazon warrior women from Conan wearing a chainmail bikini or something; ok first imagine that she's got a grim scowl of determination on her face and looks like she's gonna kick the living shit out of the next thing she lays eyes on. Now imagine the same woman with a suggestive look on her face and looking like she's trying none too subtly to to get you to noticed every single one of her curves at every chance she gets.
Now which one do you think is sexist? For those of you having trouble, the answer is supposed to be the second one. Exact same outfit, completely different portrayal and thus completely different implication.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I forgot said:
Why is it that the movie guy on this site has more interesting (and smarter) things to say on games than Yahtzee.
Because Yahtzee is entertaining via comedy, where Big Picture is just kinda whatever MovieBob wants it to be. Sometimes it's about comics, sometimes it's about gaming, sometimes it's neither here nor there. Honestly not sure at what point people thought that Yahtzee was ever meant to be a serious reviewer.
Yahtzee is the one who keeps suggesting himself as a serious reviewer. Actually, he dislikes being called a reviewer and prefers to be called a critic. I'm less sure at what point we weren't supposed to take him seriously.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I forgot said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I forgot said:
Why is it that the movie guy on this site has more interesting (and smarter) things to say on games than Yahtzee.
Because Yahtzee is entertaining via comedy, where Big Picture is just kinda whatever MovieBob wants it to be. Sometimes it's about comics, sometimes it's about gaming, sometimes it's neither here nor there. Honestly not sure at what point people thought that Yahtzee was ever meant to be a serious reviewer.
Yahtzee is the one who keeps suggesting himself as a serious reviewer. Actually, he dislikes being called a reviewer and prefers to be called a critic. I'm less sure at what point we weren't supposed to take him seriously.
If you were a literate person, you would know WHY he prefers to be called a "critic". Perhaps you should look it up [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/critic] and observe each definition to know the kind of undertone that tends to go with the term "critic" as opposed to the more generic term of "reviewer".

As for what point we were supposed to stop taking him (or at least his series) seriously... maybe you should talk to more ZP fans and ask them what has them coming back each week. I can tell you right now it isn't for the insightful reviews; it's for the laughs. This isn't to say that Yahtzee himself doesn't know about games, he has plenty of knowledge and insight into gaming... just that Zero Punctuation is a sitcom, and even his more insightful column "Extra Punctuation" is a bit on the comedic side.

Edit: Also, when has Yahtzee ever claimed to be a serious reviewer? If anything, he tends to dismiss the notion. By all means, if you have a link to him claiming to be a serious reviewer, feel free to post it.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
I kinda want another Lords of Shadow. With a few improvements it could really shine. I also hope we get to play as Gabriel in sequel considering the cliffhanger.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I forgot said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I forgot said:
If you were a literate person, you would know WHY he prefers to be called a "critic". Perhaps you should look it up [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/critic] and observe each definition to know the kind of undertone that tends to go with the term "critic" as opposed to the more generic term of "reviewer".

As for what point we were supposed to stop taking him (or at least his series) seriously... maybe you should talk to more ZP fans and ask them what has them coming back each week. I can tell you right now it isn't for the insightful reviews; it's for the laughs. This isn't to say that Yahtzee himself doesn't know about games, he has plenty of knowledge and insight into gaming... just that Zero Punctuation is a sitcom, and even his more insightful column "Extra Punctuation" is a bit on the comedic side.

Edit: Also, when has Yahtzee ever claimed to be a serious reviewer? If anything, he tends to dismiss the notion. By all means, if you have a link to him claiming to be a serious reviewer, feel free to post it.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6235040.html
This wasn't hard. Here Yahtzee is quoted saying "I genuinely try to make valid points. When you're trying to get a point across, humor is always a good midwife, as most political cartoonists would tell you."
So yes, Yahtzee wants you to take his points seriously. Why else does he get peeved in his Extra Punctuation when anyone dismisses his reviews if they were "just for laughs". I doubt I'm the one here who's not literate.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I forgot said:
This wasn't hard. Here Yahtzee is quoted saying "I genuinely try to make valid points. When you're trying to get a point across, humor is always a good midwife, as most political cartoonists would tell you."
So yes, Yahtzee wants you to take his points seriously. Why else does he get peeved in his Extra Punctuation when anyone dismisses his reviews if they were "just for laughs". I doubt I'm the one here who's not literate.
I find it amusing that you made it a point to clip-out the first sentence of that statement where he specifically says that ZP got popular because of its humor (or at least lists it as the primary suspect). Oh and also, he DOES make valid points. More than once I got done watching him rip through a game and thought "I can't argue with anything he said, but I still love the game". Because, you know, heaven forbid we admit that a game we like has flaws, right?

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Good point about 'Skyward Sword', Bob- for a series with as massive a shipping fandom as The Legend Of Zelda, the series has been bizarrely timid about developing anything approaching actual romance beyond the occasional lingering look between Link and a girl (which may or may not be Zelda- see Saria, Malon, Ruto, Ilia, Midna etc) that immediately gets blown out into a 20-chapter fanfic with hot lemon scenes by the fandom. Although you may be exaggerating how "new" this is- while the series has never embraced romance before, there HAS been stuff like the relationship between Link and Marin in 'Link's Awakening', getting "engaged" to Ruto and Nabooru being a bit flirty in 'Ocarina of Time', Cremia giving link a 'marshmallow hell' hug in 'Majora's Mask' and the ending of 'Twilight Princess'.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I forgot said:
I find it amusing that you made it a point to clip-out the first sentence of that statement where he specifically says that ZP got popular because of its humor (or at least lists it as the primary suspect). Oh and also, he DOES make valid points. More than once I got done watching him rip through a game and thought "I can't argue with anything he said, but I still love the game". Because, you know, heaven forbid we admit that a game we like has flaws, right?
and I find it amusing that you are amused at Yahtzee claiming ZP's popularity owes it to comedy (a point I never disagreed with because I'm not talking about what made it popular) while completely ignoring that Yahtzee himself is saying that he wants to make a point across and then to later make a statement basically acknowledging this (which was contrary to what you were saying about not taking him seriously).
So yeah, I still don't know at what point I wasn't supposed to take him seriously.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I forgot said:
my guess? he saves the bile for when its actually needed instead of hosing everything down with it. there's no question as to what movies Bob loved or hated, with Yahtzee >.> it can be hard to tell some times unless he SAYS something.