The Big Picture: Junk Drawer Revisited

Malcharion

Jul 18, 2010
I've always liked these small glimpses into the psyche of MovieBob, so good on you for making another one.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Absolutely loved that movie by the way.

But yeah, good points, I likes :p

EDIT: The china one, not Green lantern, before someone quotes me and flips a *****

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
The Dark Knight Rises doesn't have to be another Dark Knight, I trust Nolan to give us a good story.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
IF Green Lantern does pull in enough money then there is a chance of a sequal

heard that it's already pulled in 1/4 of it's budget

and there was a scene after the credits that yells "sequal"

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
nobody thought that duke nukem would be good, just not this bad.
also: not every game can be made better by putting the protagonist in animal costumes, the same way not every game is better by giving it a gritty reboot.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Considering it is as old as it is and is a piece of work of the information age, calling interest in Duke Nukem Forever as archaeological is probably spot on.
Do as many of these as you like since it'll at least hit on these many mini-topics and satisfy anyone who might have held a legitimate concern about one of these tiny topics and anyone left would obviously just be whining.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I'm kind of with you on the whole Nathan Fillion part. It would be cool to see him take on some major role in something in the near future, but it gets a little tiresome when geeks act like they own him.

As for The Dark Knight Rises, I think you mentioned it in your last "junk drawer", and as much as it's probably not going to be as monumental as The Dark Knight, there is still one part of your argument I have a hard time getting. How does Heath Ledger dieing affect how good the movie is? It maybe affects the buzz around it or how people look at it, but it would not have been a less enjoyable movie if he was still alive. I don't believe Rises will live up to the expectations set up by its predecessor, but hardly because Tom Hardy will still be alive when it releases...

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
I agree with you bob on many points except for marcus in an animal costume because not even that could make gears less boring.

dracomanm

Nov 21, 2009
To be fair, a Duke Nukem game would be something to be exited about, a game called Duke Nukem is something else, see what I did there?

wowthisishard

Mar 11, 2009
I'd say Green Lantern's odds at a sequel might be marginally better than you think because unlike something like Avatar, a lot of the money Green Lantern generates is going to be in merchandise (toys, clothes, etc.) rather than just movie ticket/dvd and blu-ray sales. Of course, I haven't seen the movie and am a little disappointed over how I'm hearing it's turning out, so I may just be underestimating how bad the response to it is out of hope for a good Green Lantern movie.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Orekoya said:
Wow could you please stop sucking Dark Knight's dick as hard as you are? "last will and testament of this great actor" well then what does that make The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus?
A movie nobody saw?

demoncub1990

Apr 16, 2011
I have to agree that the dark night is awesome and the second one might not be as good, it's kinda like how everyone compared portal 2 to portal 1.

Also if you could do a blues brothers episode that would be cool :D

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
I like these insights into some aspects of nerd and geek culture I never seek out on my own, and I usually agree with most of the points made. But there is nothing I've yet seen that will convince me that gaming was better in the days of absolute wackiness. I loved that time, I did, it was hilarious and made perfect sense to me as a kid. And present day efforts to make games more "mature" and "gritty" are, in general, not a good attempt at really exploring the medium in a serious tone, but honestly, no, Gears of War would never be improved by something so silly, because it's got its own silliness in a completely different way and that kind of thing would just be incongruous.

I really want to know, Bob, why game like Gears irk you as much as they do. I understand that you grew up in a golden age of console gaming, I was able to catch the tail end and I know how fantastic it was, I still go back to those old games, especially things like Mario 3. I also know from your "Done with Dark" episode why the grittiness doesn't work for you, and I understand that as well. A lot of present day gritty in any medium doesn't add anything and only takes away from whatever the source material was, but starting a new series like Gears is very different. The entire world is built on a colour palette consisting of brown and grey, but why shouldn't it be? It is worth it to explore this territory, even if it spawns a seemingly endless hoard of imitators when it proves successful. Alright, the writing isn't fantastic, or particularly good, but the game tried something new, and instead of going half-assed, it took a hearty, two-footed leap into uncharted territory which few games are willing to do anymore.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Tarkand said:
Orekoya said:
Wow could you please stop sucking Dark Knight's dick as hard as you are? "last will and testament of this great actor" well then what does that make The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus?
A movie nobody saw?
I think you meant a legitimately good movie that didn't need batman's rep to drag a dull and uninteresting plot while riding on the news of one of the actor's death to build hype.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Duke Nukem wasn't bad because the character is a douche. Duke Nukem was bad because the game spends a good 2/3 of its playtime being nothing more than a pile of fan service minigames to people who miss old school shooters, which kinda defeats the whole concept of WHY people like old school shooters. ie. constant violence from beginning to end, not being able to watch yourself lift weights in a mirror and play pinball.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Well, Green Lantern already made some $70 million in its opening weekend if you include international receipts, so there's at least a reasonable chance it will make back the ~$200 million it cost to produce. Include DVD/BluRay/download sales and it's almost a given.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Yay, Big Trouble In Little China shoutout! That movie was simply one of the greatest films I have ever seen. More people need to watch this movie. You hear that fellow Escapists? Breakfastman demands that you watch it!

Also, what is with BTILC and internet film critics? It seems to be a big favorite among them. I mean, Bob brings it up occasionally, Spoony says that it is his favorite film of all time...

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
Hey I am legitimetely upset that Duke Nukem Forever sucks as hard as it does. Surprised none, but upset.