The Big Picture: Junk Drawer Revisited

CronoT

May 15, 2010
I saw Green lantern on Saturday, and I enjoyed it. It didn't try to be anything other than what it is: A film adaptation of a comic book. If the first Superman movie had come out this year, you'd probably be calling it tripe as well.

They took the Alien Squid out of Watchmen, but I didn't see you complaining about that too much. They of course had to take it out, because they couldn't lay the proper foundation for it. I find it very odd that you lambasted The King's Speech; and rightly so, for being blatant Oscar bait, but them hated on this film for being nothing more than a good popcorn flick.

Not every game can be Super Mario Bros. 3 or Tetris. Not every movie can be Citizen Kane or Ben-Hur.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
WTF what the hell is wrong with Youngblood? I own many Youngblood comics including the first five issues. I like the style, the grittiness, and compared to other titles of the time was a bit more mature.

Must be his whole "The 90's sucked" mindset. I'll grant you not a lot of good came out of the 90's but not everything that was from that decade sucked.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
All the heroes Nathan Fillion is perfect to play, he is already playing. Malcolm Reynolds. Captain Hammer. The Holy Avenger.

Fillion is the biggest cheeseball in Hollywood and he is going to continue to keep his rabid fans... well, rabid, by continuing to take cheeseball roles and cheese up the screen. Soak it in and be glad to have someone who's so self-aware and appreciative of his following. I promise the first time he takes a genuinely dramatic role, you're all going to feel betrayed... deeply betrayed. The Majestic betrayed. Just follow my lead and keep worshipping the cheese.

Also, Bob?... SAMURAI... PIZZA... CATS!

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
The batman trilogy is gonna suffer from the third movie sindrome. People are creating unreseanable expectantions about this movie.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who ever saw the Dark Knight without knowing who Heath Ledger was before going in, but I know this is the Internet where no one is ever alone in their opinions. I sincerely just liked the movie for the movie. I didn't even know he was dead until after the movie was over when one of my friends mentioned it, and I was like, "Who?" and he says, "The guy playing the Joker." And I thought, "Wow, I'm really not interested, but the movie was awesome."

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I was kind of hoping to possibly see a sequel to this movie and have it done better... Or better yet, a remake/reboot! And not in the Spider-man sort of way where it made no sense, I mean literally do this movie again and do it RIGHT! Put some actual EFFORT into it! Like the Hulk movie.

...I also recall many other movies, and even video games, boldly claiming to be the first of a trilogy, such as Dragonball: Evolution and Too Human. And we all know how well THEY turned out. :/

I don't even know who this Nathan guy is!

Ah-HA! You finally brought this up! This always bothered me every since you kept calling it the "tanooki" suit and since it was revealed to be so... Like Nintendo completely forgot that it was just the raccoon power-up that did what the tanooki suit now does in this game. Seriously, though, why'd they have to give him the tanooki suit? Why couldn't they just give him the raccoon ears and tail like the old game? Hell, Mario even gets his power from the Super Leaf, what the Hell? Did they get confused or something? I wouldn't be confused at all, if I had been in that position. I guess this would qualify as nit-picking, but I guess it just really bothers me. Luckily, Boom Boom's also in the game, so I'm kind of okay about the whole thing.

I'm not expecting much out of The Dark Knight Rises. Just going to go see it for the heck of it. I really doubt anything will top The Dark Knight, though, everything just worked out so perfectly with that one.

I don't think I've seen that movie... I've heard the name, though.

Think is with DC is that they do this sort of thing ALL THE TIME! They change up everything, only to revert to the way it was. So weird...

I GUESS it's a shame that Duke Nukem forever wasn't any good, but really... I don't care. Not my thing. I was never into Duke Nukem, but I'm sure for the people who've waited 12 years for this game to be made, it's going to be majorly disappointing.

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
Yeah, Duke Nukem Forever was kind of a wash-out. But I wanted to buy it just to own a little piece of history.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Bob, you missed the point where Duke Nukem 3D had better gameplay than most FPS games made in the past decade. That's why Duke Nukem Forever was awful, not because of Duke himself, but because he was in an awful game.
This also seems to be why Gearbox, Jon St. John and everyone else who worked on the project don't understand why we don't like the game. They keep thinking it's about the main character. It's not, the game has the linearity of a trailer, the depth o a dried up lake and the charm of a decomposing corpse and the gameplay complexity of a stick. That's why it stinks.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Nice episode as always. I did like DNF though. And I don't think we've seen the last of a Green Lantern movie.
Midnight Crossroads said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who ever saw the Dark Knight without knowing who Heath Ledger was before going in, but I know this is the Internet where no one is ever alone in their opinions. I sincerely just liked the movie for the movie. I didn't even know he was dead until after the movie was over when one of my friends mentioned it, and I was like, "Who?" and he says, "The guy playing the Joker." And I thought, "Wow, I'm really not interested, but the movie was awesome."
You're of course not the only one, I didn't know who he was either or even knew he died.
Though I didn't really like the movie. Not because it was bad, but because it didn't live up to the MASSIVE hype.

MB202 said:
I don't even know who this Nathan guy is!
http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B0000AQS0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308675128&sr=8-1
Buy it. Don't even think about it, buy it and thank me later.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Other than finding Green Lantern fairly entertaining and not a personal insult to my very existence (seriously, Steel bad? Overreact much?), I agree with Bob on most counts, and kudos for finally admitting that TDK wouldn't be nearly as worshipped if Heath Ledger hadn't died. I mean, would there have even been a chance of an Oscar nomination otherwise?

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
The shock with Duke Nukem Forever is that people was curious about what could justify 12 years of development. Turns out there was nothing in it to justify 12 years of development.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I honestly don't understand the hate for the GL movie. I had fun watching it. Best comic movie ever? No. Batman and Robin bad? Lord NO. I hope there is a sequel personally, but in all honesty, i think GL tends to lend itself better to animation then live action. I don't think the CGI in GL was as bad as people are going on about, BUT, there was so much of it, yeah, you started to notice the flaws. But what can you do with the GL IP, you need a ton of CGI to do the constructs and fight sceens... It's better animated IMO. A follow up to first flight would, IMO, be very welcome.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I love Fillion and there are some Hollywood execs who can see past the niche filmography to the gusto and humor underneath. Those people probably also realize that Fillion is prime geek bait, and if that's the audience they're looking for he may be quite appealing.

But at the moment Hollywood isn't sure what to think about the geek crowd - it's like when advertizes tried to ram OK Soda down the throats of Generation X. Occasionally the geek crowd is courted to great financial success, but these attempts fail often enough to keep people wary. Throw in a weak economy and taking risks on geeks becomes even less palatable.

Museli

Nin!
Aug 12, 2009
I don't even like movies much, and I'll still watch Big Trouble in Little China at every opportunity.

As for DNF, I'll watch a Let's Play to sate my curiosity. It'd be nice to see if modders can turn the PC version into a good game, but even those mighty folk may have difficulty.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Junk Drawer Revisited

A quick look at a lot of bits and pieces.

Watch Video
Actually, you're Bob, and that's the composite of many small pictures.

And on the Nathan Fillion thing, it's a bit of "not knowing what they're asking for." What makes him so much fun isn't his acting (which is good and has lots of charm, don't get me wrong). It's his "meta-game." The way he engages fans, particularly Firefly fans, both in and out of unrelated media. It's some of the most sincere fan-service I've ever seen (making Bruce Campbell an apt comparison), and he's really built a sub-career out of winking at all of us.

If he were to make it big? That stops. Up there in the major leagues, contracts are tight, publicity is far too tightly controlled, little in-jokes are (largely) frowned-upon, and cute homages are more likely to create legal problems than fangasms. Gone would be the niche projects that we love him for, replaced by the blandness of wider appeal. At the risk of sounding like the raging hipsters I hate so much, it's a bit better to love him when he is not super famous, because that's where he'll remain lovable.