The Big Picture: Junk Drawer Revisited

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Primus1985 said:
WTF what the hell is wrong with Youngblood? I own many Youngblood comics including the first five issues. I like the style, the grittiness, and compared to other titles of the time was a bit more mature.

Must be his whole "The 90's sucked" mindset. I'll grant you not a lot of good came out of the 90's but not everything that was from that decade sucked.
Are you familiar with a reviewer named linkara? He reviews comics and one of his main targets are the usual rob liefeld type comics. Stuff like youngblood was a failed attempt at grittiness that was initially acheived by frank miller and alan moore and for most people the art style was considered heavily laced with cheesecake and extremely out of synch with human physiology. As a kid who grew up in the 90s I can see how if you liked comics it was a pretty rough decade but if you were into stuff like cartoons there's no better decade and i'd stand by that forever!

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Primus1985 said:
WTF what the hell is wrong with Youngblood? I own many Youngblood comics including the first five issues. I like the style, the grittiness, and compared to other titles of the time was a bit more mature.

Must be his whole "The 90's sucked" mindset. I'll grant you not a lot of good came out of the 90's but not everything that was from that decade sucked.
This is the Internet: it never fails to surprise you with the opinions of others. I can see no redeeming qualities in Youngblood. The art is bad, the writing is actually worse. Most comic fans see Liefeld and Image tripe like Youngblood as a symbol of everything that was wrong with 90s comics.

But well, to each his or her own, I guess.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Thank you Bob. THANK YOU for finally putting it plainly about Nathan Fillion. The rate things were going, I was certain we'd see a Nathan Fillion should be cast as Duke Nukem in "My Little Pony Friendship Saves The World From The Covenant with Duke's Help: The Movie" petition any day now.

I LOVE Nathan Fillion in the roles he's been in. Honestly, Castle is one of the best shows on tv. Firefly was great. But it is like you said... the dude is 40 years old. It's a little late for him to be jumping on the video game character/action film bandwagon. He would not make a good Superman. He would not make a good Nathan Drake. He would not make a good Enzio in an Assassin's Creed movie. Well, maybe he might, but it isn't going to happen. He's past that point in his career I think, and I'm pretty confident that the dude is just glad to be getting steady work and fan-love.

I too went through the "Bruce Campbell is the most awesomest actor ever" phase, and in a way I still am. I still devotedly watch the straight to dvd garbage he puts out (or on Sci Fi channel) but the reality is, Bruce will never be an A-list actor, and frankly I've come to terms with that.

We as a community of nerds need to get past this sort of thing.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Uh bob... technically Heath Ledger's last will and testament would be "imaginarium of dr. Parnassus" Since he sort of died during filming and all.

Also Screw the Dark Knight. I liked it but Batman Begins is my favorite Super Hero movie so really I am excited for the Dark Knight Rises because I don't hold the Dark Knight on a pedistel. My dad doesn't either. Course his favorite super hero movie is the original Superman...

Also Hell YES I've seen Big Trouble in Little China, :3 It's Spoony's favorite movie and because I like seeing people's favorite movies to assess what it shows about their personality... I saw it TWICE :3

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
Yeah, The Dark Knight was lightning in a bottle. I don't expect The Dark Knight Rises to be better than it, I just expect it to be better than Batman Begins (which was also an awesome movie).

Littaly said:
As for The Dark Knight Rises, I think you mentioned it in your last "junk drawer", and as much as it's probably not going to be as monumental as The Dark Knight, there is still one part of your argument I have a hard time getting. How does Heath Ledger dieing affect how good the movie is?
I think that when 1 of the actors dies, people have a hard time criticising anything they do. It makes it nearly impossible to judge their movies on the movie's merit alone without getting fan backlash for criticising the work of the dead. This principle tends to make people ignore anything they do badly and just behave as if their last film was a gift from a god.

Edit:

lokiduck said:
Uh bob... technically Heath Ledger's last will and testament would be "imaginarium of dr. Parnassus" Since he sort of died during filming and all.
The Dark Knight was the last film he completed. So people often say it was his last film, even though he did work on another movie after it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Jack Burton is a far better macho man parody than Duke ever was. It is funnier if the big strong hero is obviously a bufoon and everyone knows but him.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

EDIT: Sonovabitch must pay.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
penguindude42 said:
Primus1985 said:

Case in point: Sonic SatAM.

And somebody needs to watch more AT4W.

~Tom<3
Are you agreeing with me by giving the Sonic example?

What the fudge is AT4W?

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Swifteye said:
Primus1985 said:

Are you familiar with a reviewer named linkara? He reviews comics and one of his main targets are the usual rob liefeld type comics. Stuff like youngblood was a failed attempt at grittiness that was initially acheived by frank miller and alan moore and for most people the art style was considered heavily laced with cheesecake and extremely out of synch with human physiology. As a kid who grew up in the 90s I can see how if you liked comics it was a pretty rough decade but if you were into stuff like cartoons there's no better decade and i'd stand by that forever!
*clears throat* Yes ive heard of Linkara someone posted a link to his review of Youngblood#1...Well lets just say i was burning with white-hot rage through most of the video. His picks and pokes are juvenile at worst and unprofessional at best. He expects everything to be realistic and meticulousness detailed, it was 1992 for pity's sakes give some credit where its due. I would love to personally debate that Linkara till one of us broke down.

Techniqually Frank & Alan already invented the darker side of comics. I agree with what Bob said with reguards that it wasnt the art it was the story, and it wasnt that it was dark it was just very well thought out. Cheesecake? Out of sync with human physiology? What are we talking physics or Comics? Its a comic, set in a fictional world, it doesnt have to be realistic. If thats the case someone should have told DC a loooong time ago. What is this fascination with realism? Your reading a comic book to escape realism, you leave your logical side out of it.

As for the 80's vs 90's cartoon debate...Well its tough for me to say. I was born in mid 80's, my parents recorded hours upon hours of cartoons when I was a toddler and I was raised on that, and living in europe in the late 80's they recieved the shows later than the us so i watched them all over again. The 80's gave birth to some of the most awesome and inspired toons but they where only a handful.

The 90's I remembered very well. Waking up early to watch toons. The 90's didnt have as many "awe inspireing" toons as the 80's but its in the 90's their where many that where quite good. So many shows where produced in the 90's but very few where bad. So in the 80's you had a handful of Iconic shows but not much else, the 90's you didnt have as many but you had more variety and almost guaranteed to see a good show.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Primus1985 said:
Swifteye said:
Primus1985 said:

*clears throat* Yes ive heard of Linkara someone posted a link to his review of Youngblood#1...Well lets just say i was burning with white-hot rage through most of the video. His picks and pokes are juvenile at worst and unprofessional at best. He expects everything to be realistic and meticulousness detailed, it was 1992 for pity's sakes give some credit where its due. I would love to personally debate that Linkara till one of us broke down.

Techniqually Frank & Alan already invented the darker side of comics. I agree with what Bob said with reguards that it wasnt the art it was the story, and it wasnt that it was dark it was just very well thought out. Cheesecake? Out of sync with human physiology? What are we talking physics or Comics? Its a comic, set in a fictional world, it doesnt have to be realistic. If thats the case someone should have told DC a loooong time ago. What is this fascination with realism? Your reading a comic book to escape realism, you leave your logical side out of it.

As for the 80's vs 90's cartoon debate...Well its tough for me to say. I was born in mid 80's, my parents recorded hours upon hours of cartoons when I was a toddler and I was raised on that, and living in europe in the late 80's they recieved the shows later than the us so i watched them all over again. The 80's gave birth to some of the most awesome and inspired toons but they where only a handful.

The 90's I remembered very well. Waking up early to watch toons. The 90's didnt have as many "awe inspireing" toons as the 80's but its in the 90's their where many that where quite good. So many shows where produced in the 90's but very few where bad. So in the 80's you had a handful of Iconic shows but not much else, the 90's you didnt have as many but you had more variety and almost guaranteed to see a good show.
Hmm. When I think I 80s cartoons I think of all those merchandising shows but that's probably because almost all of them have been revived on the hub for some reason (I don't need to mention the certain four legged animal that made quite the comeback recently do I?) Personally I'm not one of those people who really get bent up when it comes to stylistic choices and personally I kinda like the variety even if it does seem silly and unlike linkara I kinda don't mind seeing a sexy woman or a muscly man every now and again(that sounds weird in my head) but I've been friends with a lot of artist and they just whine and whine about those things and linkara is a comic artist and a comic nerd so it would be his MO to make such a complaint.

Personally. The realism is a bit taxing in any medium. Say what you will but I'll always choose quirky talking animals over human characters any day. too me it just makes writing more flexible(and it kinda makes character design more fun).

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
Screw you, Larry Laffer was awesome. Love for Sail is probably the greatest adventure game of all time (or at least tied with Monkey 3).

Green Lantern should have cost around $100 mill at most. I liked it well enough, but in no way should it have been that expensive. Gotta drop most of the blame on the Direct (and the writers).

Duke is Duke. If you went in expecting anything else, meh. It is kind of shallow to just whine about the character. The game has issues, two weapons, regenerating health, etc. But like it or not, but Duke has mass appeal outside the artsy-fartsy "Games should be art!!" crowd. Just like how the Expendables made a hell of a lot more money than some people wanted it to.

DC Reboot. Dunno. I'd reboot all that crazy Batman dying crap out myself.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ah, Youngblood, one of the best examples for everything that was wrong about comics during the Dark Age. I still think one of the best slaps in the face to it was Alan Moore's complete retooling of Supreme (also a Leifeld creation) that slammed everything that was excessive, childish, and stupid about the industry during that time. See also, Kingdom Come

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
teebeeohh said:
nobody thought that duke nukem would be good, just not this bad.
also: not every game can be made better by putting the protagonist in animal costumes, the same way not every game is better by giving it a gritty reboot.
Sadly, people thought this game was going to be good. I should know, I had to hear about it practically every day for a year.

Now that it's out...I feel embarrassed to be a gamer to be honest...

DJ Jack

Nov 18, 2009
I am not really sure how I feel about this episode. Sure it makes a lot of great points, a lot which I agree with, but something about the delivery of the content anymore. Perhaps it is because I watch too much of Moviebob's work on the Escapist that I am reading so much into this, but the past few weeks I've felt a little scorned after I am done watching.

Why the temper Moviebob? Is everything okay? :/

Thammuz

Nov 21, 2010
"Being excited for Duke Nukem is like being excited for a revival of Youngblood"

Ouch.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
9_6 said:
I don't think people expected duke nukem to be good (lol), they just didn't expect it to try and be fucking halo.
The surprise isn't the antiquated game design, it's that it is not antiquated enough.
Why else do you think people made such a ruckus about the 2 weapon limit and the recharging health?
Surely not because they expected a good game, they wanted an old one.
Why wouldn't they expect it to try to be Halo? As far as I can tell, that's been the standard FPS MO for the past decade.

Also, I just got Russian in my captcha. Impressive, you guys.