The Big Picture: Magneto Was Right

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
I've always identified myself more with Victor Von Doom than Reed Richards. Now where'd I leave that doomsday-bomb?

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
Bob's not the first one to pick up on the Objectivist theme's in "The Incredibles" [1]. Apparently quite a few people have detected it.

Personally, I couldn't countenance being part of the "let's be nice to the people who want to kill us" X-Men, nor could I submerge my moral opposition to a philosophy of "we've got the power, so we're going to torment you now, because we're superior and we can".

Mine would be the "peace through superior firepower" team. Leave us alone to go about our lives, with full acknowledgment of equal basic rights, and we'll do the same. Become a threat in any way, and we end your shit with extreme prejudice.

Humanity in the X-verse always struck me as too dumb to live in any case. It's one thing to pick on the powerless guy who happens to be green, but you'll get these candidate for Darwinian selection who act like "Hey! That guy can shoot lasers out of his eyes! Let's throw rocks at him!"

[1] http://freeliberal.com/archives/000574.php

licidy

Oct 4, 2010
Interestingly enough, hidden deep with the gaymer culture, is a subculture called "magneto was right." The subculture is made up of those within the gay-geek community who don't want anything to do with straight society, and (more often than not) do view homosexuality as an evolutionary step forward by removing biological interferences as so to focus the mind on higher tasks. ^_~

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
Hmmm, I'm sorry, but I can't relate to this. The jocks at my school were nice and minded their own business. To top that off, most of the "nerds", "geeks", or "people who were into anime and the like" were kind of fuckin' stupid. I was into "geek" culture, but not a nerd. I'm amazed I even graduated from high school. I think it depends where you're from. I grew up in New York and stuff like that doesn't happen here. I've notice that is a suburban thing. NYC students really don't give a fuck. They go to school to get the classes over with then leave, well, that was my high school experience.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I've been bullied enough until I grew about 6" and reached 11th grade status. But I would still choose Magneto's side. If I am being attacked and abused for being better, I am going to make sure they know why I am better.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Yeah, I had my mental and emotional sanity continually rubbed away by the outright hate I got in middle and high school. It got to the point that by the end of high school, I was the Hulk. Most of the time, I was Bruce Banner- intelligent, inoffensive and quiet, spending most of my time reading. But if you picked on me and screwed with me long enough, I'd snap and beat the crap out of you. For that very reason I still say that line from "The Hulk" TV series today. "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

The worst was when a girl in my sophmore class picked my glasses off my face and snapped them in half in front of me. I never thought the expression "seeing red" was true until that moment. I completely wigged out to the point where I don't remember what really happened. When I got my normal vision back, I was smacking her head into the ground in the doorway saying, "You won't do that again, will you?"

Her little brother decided he was going to attack me for that, so that summer, he got six friends of his to attack me physically in the video arcade. They were standing around me punching and hitting me, all of which I ignored (it barely hurt) until baby brother decided to start punching me in the stomach. Now, that hurt, so I grabbed his fist and bit it with all my might. He screamed, "Aah! She's killing me! She's killing me!", which ramped up their punching (Still didn't hurt much) and I only let go when one of them hauled on my long hair and yanked hard several times. He and his friends ran off with him yelling that he was going to sue me and my family.

I ran home in fear and told my dad what had happened, and he said, "Seven boys attacked you? And you fought back? If they try to sue us, we'll have him and his friends arrested for assault!" (I love my Dad!) Well, lo and behold, I never heard anything from them... until the next year in school. I'm in the library when this kid I don't recognize comes up to me and tells me that I am going to give him all my money whenever he tells me to, no matter if I have 50 cents or 50 bucks. And I said, "What makes you think I am going to do that?"

He pulls a hand out from under the table, and there are bitemarks in it (5 months later yet no less). I looked at it and felt a slow burn. I turned to the kid and said, "How'd you like a matching set of hands, buster?"

He never bothered me again, and later on, neither did anyone else.

Draksila

Feb 10, 2010
Personally, I fear I'd side with Xavier. As members of the X-Men have pointed out in the past, it's not that Magneto doesn't have a point... it's that he's too much of an extremist. I couldn't bring myself to side with someone who has, in the past, murdered millions because he saw them as inferior beings/annoyances. Which he has canonically done at least once; I'm thinking of the incident that led to the faceoff wherein Magneto was left a drooling vegetable and Logan's adamantium was ripped out through his pores once the smoke cleared.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
To continue, I'd side with the X-men, because turning to Magneto's side would mean becoming the thing I despised. Not gonna do that. Would I prefer the people who mistreated me get spanked hard because of what they did? Of course! But what would they learn from that? The same thing, I can beat you up because I am stronger. The same reason they picked on me, so not much of a lesson there. I'd rather demonstrate my superiority in a way that shows I am bigger than they are by forgiving them, and become the better part of myself, not the worse part.

And to those who say I am fixated on what happened to me 30+ years ago, I say, I no longer hate the people involved. I made a decision not to have anything to do with them long ago- when they announced the 10 Year High School reunion. But I recognize the effect that their actions had on making my character what it is today.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Hahahaha. I loved the title, I just finished reading the Grant Morrison run of the New X-Men and everyone was wearing a "Magneto was Right" shirt.

....I'd totally be on the side of Magneto, even if I think the X-Men were cooler characters.

nadriel

Jun 8, 2010
I'd go with Xavier. But I'd have an awful lot of sympathy for Magneto.

Of course, on my more misanthropic days, I'd go with Richard the Warlock. I'm just saying...

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Interesting video. It would be tempting, but I don't think I'd be on Magnetos side. If simply because Xaviers side has a guy with unbreakable bones and claws that can only be killed by drowning.

Also, Bob, you should TOTALLY cover Marvel Civil War next.

May 17, 2010
Mantonio said:
Interesting video. It would be tempting, but I don't think I'd be on Magnetos side. If simply because Xaviers side has a guy with unbreakable bones and claws that can only be killed by drowning.

Also, Bob, you should TOTALLY cover Marvel Civil War next.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I think we should all make a pact to never ever ever mention it ever again. Maybe God will decide to delete it if we all wish hard enough for it's non-existence.

Iacobescu Alexandru

Jun 5, 2010
X-men for life :)
from my point of view when you are an the x teem you prove that you are a better then the bullies. if you are an an M teem then you deserved it.

FlayD

Dec 11, 2009
I was also bullied when I was younger, at school and particularly by my brother. I progressively developed a stronger case of social anxiety, which eventually became a full-blown eating disorder which left in a hospital bed with a heart rate of 30bpm. But in all truthfulness I don't have anything at all against the people who bullied me when I was younger, even though it had pretty dire consequences. It's not anything I can change now, and aside from my brother I don't have to see any of these people again. It made me who I am today, flawed but damn determined and still, after all, me.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Magneto is right in human theory, Xavier is right in principle. Our history has proven that, yes eventually people change, but this only happens when they want to. In many nations people of the different ethnicities or religions still aren't allowed to intermingle, much less love, in peace. Same gender or sex couples aren't allowed to even exist shy of fear of murder in many places, even "tolerant" or "open-mided" areas. My ex-wife and I had to drive 600 miles to be wed... and our marriage wasn't "legal" in our home state regardless.

I'd love it if Charlie X was right and people could be trusted to just "forgive and forget" but it just doesn't happen. Looking at the issue of same-sex marriage rights in many countries worldwide it's pretty obvious we're still not ready as a society to "just get along" with each other... much less people who could generate flames from their bums. Sadly, in the end, we can strive for a better world in a slow and peaceful manner, but the lives lost along the way will only add more proof to claims like Magneto's and justify his ideals even stronger.

Warnolo

Apr 30, 2010
Let's see.. for one side some kids who want to learn how to control powers so the normal guys would say "welldone, you are ALMOST as good as a normal person". For the other there is a bunch of psychos turning fascists...

You know what? i would say a big FUCK YOU to both sides and go make myself a nation.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
But of course

http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/166/f/8/Zah_Bad_Ass_Cookie_by_ShupaMalleo86.jpg&imgrefurl=http://shupamalleo86.deviantart.com/art/Zah-Bad-Ass-Cookie-167789059&usg=__AgXK76JCPgEpitXsdKPD7eC298Q=&h=829&w=900&sz=159&hl=es&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=rYScN4Gf6t9b8M:&tbnh=127&tbnw=138&ei=GkVJTYKfMILsObT4teEP&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbadass%2Bcookie%26um%3D1%26hl%3Des%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D679%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=120&vpy=63&dur=10116&hovh=215&hovw=234&tx=117&ty=114&oei=GkVJTYKfMILsObT4teEP&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Amyler

Nov 17, 2009
In Australia, it's called Tall Poppy syndrome. Cutting down those who are rising above you simply because that's what they're doing.