The Big Picture: Magneto Was Right

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Magneto Was Right

This week, Bob looks at what it's like to be "different."

Watch Video

sailor_960

Jan 12, 2010
That is an excellent question. I really don't know which side I'd be on. And I've been picked on enough in my life time.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
hmm, choosing if Ian McKellan or Patrick Stewart is cooler, THAT'S hard. Speaking of which, Marvel vs CAPCOM 3 is out in 2 weeks (too bad there's no story mode though).

Y'know what, screw it, I'll be on the side of DEADPOOL

powercall

Jun 21, 2008
This man is the second man aside from Adam sesslar who can make an interesting point and I don't know where it is going.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm sorry you were bullied Bob but the line, 'a veritable rainbow coalition of torment' made me giggle a little.

I would probably be with Magneto too. I wasn't bullied too hard but hard enough to have retaliated. Any of Professor X's students would have tried kicking my ass if they passed by and saw me exacting a revenge...or just busting open ATMs for some quick cash...

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
I'd be tempted to join Magneto... but He'd have to take care of Logan before I lift a finger... That guy is crazy scary.

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
Well my peers don't like me due to committing the great sin of daring to be interested in Politics and the world outside Facebook.

Anyway I blame the 'ignore it'method which seems to just been made so that teachers don't have to do sh*t. In Sports camp I tried telling one of the adult about a kid who was making death threats and all I was told was 'ignore and don't be a snitch' so I told mum and when she called the same guy who was useless walked up to me and told me the guy who threatened me was asked to leave but he sounded really bitter.

Oh and Magneto.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Yay a Star Wars, Calvin & Hobbes and A Fish called Wanda reference all in the same episode and an interesting question. This is the stuff you could right a thesis on, if you were a weird nerd.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I'd totally be a bad guy, but let the people know it's their fault, and consequences don't just go away.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
Aiddon said:
(too bad there's no story mode though).
Actually... http://kotaku.com/5518024/marvel-vs-capcom-3-will-be-a-living-comic-with-a-deep-story

And in case you're not feeling the link, Quote from the article

"It's important that game's have strong stories for Marvel," Baker said. "With fighting games it's not as essential as an action game or role playing game but we are very much insisting there be some cohesive kind of story for this game.

"We actually have a subtitle for the game that means something this time. In the coming months we will be giving you more information about it."

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
OctalLord said:
Aiddon said:
(too bad there's no story mode though).
Actually... http://kotaku.com/5518024/marvel-vs-capcom-3-will-be-a-living-comic-with-a-deep-story

And in case you're not feeling the link, Quote from the article

"It's important that game's have strong stories for Marvel," Baker said. "With fighting games it's not as essential as an action game or role playing game but we are very much insisting there be some cohesive kind of story for this game.

"We actually have a subtitle for the game that means something this time. In the coming months we will be giving you more information about it."
There are early copies of the game in the wild and trust me THERE'S NO STORY MODE. There was a livestream on justin.tv that revealed it.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
The big issue is that nerds look weak. The bullies are just looking for someone to take their aggression issues out on. Someone who won't fight back.

And a lot of the time it just leads into a cycle where the nerds start acting like victims, which causes more pain to come their way. People always say to just not let it bother you, but I don't know if that's possible for anyone.

I don't know much about X-Men, but are there any mutants who hide out in the mountains and anonymously help the world out while not interacting with anyone besides their cats? If so, that would be me.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Hes right in a sense. My brother was bullied because of who he is, but the odd part is that for me, because of who I was, and how I used my intellect, I was widely liked and actually still found a group of people through high school that were specifically not in the spectrum of the "norm" that people outside of get bullied for being in. I was bullied a few times, but never physically and nothing caught on. I was just never a good enough target, and became respected instead. Just something to think about. I guess I would be on the opposing side then bob then.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Heh...kinda feel two somewhat opposite stand

"Nerd tend to have a persecution complex were they seem themselves as superior and in a way its rubish fantasy"(something I agree) and "Anti-intellectualism is the cause of this and really its the persecution of nerd and intellectual that is the root of all evil" which I think is just kinda repeating the cycle.

"The you're different" usually suppose to be interpreted as essentially some base instinct behavior, basicly something that don't need a logical eason to be

Perhaps bob need to make longer video in make his point better

Michizane

Apr 15, 2009
I don't know what it is with bullying nerds, but over here in Belgium it doesn't happen all that often. Sure I wasen't exactly popular but everyone was still nice whenever we met or worked together.
The question I find more interesting therefore is, what's so different here?

Guess you can still count on Belgium to fill up the ranks of the school for the gifted ^^