The Big Picture: Marvel Mess

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel Mess

Follow Bob down the convoluted memory lane that is comic books.

Watch Video

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
o.o This raised so many more questions than it answered.

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
Who imposes the 5 minute limit? Is it the escapist or did Bob simply decide that was the only runtime that would work?

andersgeek

Jul 6, 2010
Well, that was a weak episode... if for the only reason that I've read about that story over the weekend.
Granted, it is a convoluted mess, I'm just gonna say it: Bob, you wasted time by saying it's convoluted. :p Could've just done a 7- to 8-minutes video and be done with it. That being said, next week's episode is gonna be interesting.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah what does Marvelman who I've never heard off have to do with Angela who I've never heard of?

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Wow, that was thin. You shoulda just done a quick bio of Marvelman, touching on some of the groundbreaking stuff in his history (his wife giving birth and the comic showing it, losing his memory of the magic word that transforms him, the most gruesome rampage in all comics, stuff like that). Then, when we're all up to speed, do you talk about how McFarlane kinda screwed Gaiman out of the rights to Angela and Gaiman wrote 1602 for Marvel just to pay for the legal fees, and I think at one point they tried to trade McFarlane's Marvelman rights with some rights Gaiman owned, and Marvel Comics has said they have the rights for years now but they haven't done anything with it and dang this all would take a bunch of episodes, wouldn't it?

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
And now we wait...
Damn it Bob, why do you have to be so intriguing.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Watching all these videos about comics make me realize two things: One, that comics are awesome. And two, that I will never read any of them. I mean seriously, if all this stuff is so inter-connected, it would take years to sort it all out. I read Watchmen and V for Vendetta because I was told they were awesome and because they were self-contained, but I don't see how I could delve any deeper into the medium without drowning in it.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Surely the reasons are fairly obvious? (The following is conjecture. Never heard of half these characters, as I am 2000AD guy, not a Marvel/DC one)

Gaiman wants to redo/reintroduce Miracle Man, and the only way Todd McFarlan would agree to sell the rights would be if Angela made a comeback in mainstream comics. Or is that too simple?

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
This brings back memories. I remember having a subscription to X-Men when I was a kid AND buying an extra copy from lunch money to save. I was a kid--what did I know about girls much less investment planning?

Angela! The most blatant example of Spawn's creator McFarlane's pandering to the hormones of teenage boys at a time when the internet didn't exist so access to "hot pictures" in comics we on par with Playboy for most boys.

The sad thing about Angela is that she was actually more interesting than the consummately predictable Spawn.

Poor Angela...

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
Deathlyphil said:
Surely the reasons are fairly obvious? (The following is conjecture. Never heard of half these characters, as I am 2000AD guy, not a Marvel/DC one)

Gaiman wants to redo/reintroduce Miracle Man, and the only way Todd McFarlan would agree to sell the rights would be if Angela made a comeback in mainstream comics. Or is that too simple?
The key word you are missing is litigation. There is a fight no one is agreeing about all this.

OT: I hate too say it bob but i'm 23 and if it wasn't for Todd Mcfarlane I would have never gotten into comic books. The spawn books where some of the first books I ever read, as my dad was part of the bubble, he still has some very valuable comics. I recognize spawn as the crap it always was, but I also understand that without spawn I would not read comics, just like without the Power Rangers video game for the sega genesis I would not play videogames.

Off topic I never realized how cute todd mcfarlane used too be, now he looks like skeleton spent too much time in the tanning booth.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
For a minute there I was proud that I actually remembered Angela... and then gawked at my screen thinking "Why the hell would any comic universe want her."

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Angela reminds me of Witchblade and been thinking of reading that comic book series, but it just seems silly and the anime is the only thing I enjoyed