The Big Picture: Memorium

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
2,821
0
0
Demandred20 said:
wolf_isthebest said:
What is the game shown at 05:19 ?
Its Actraiser. One of IMo the finest games ever released on the SNES and a true classic.
That sounds familiar... although it conjures up feelings like anger, sadness and exasperation.

.......

...

Ah, found it! Oh, it's the second one I own. Actraiser 2 is one of my biggest gaming shames. For whatever reason, all my experience playing games leaves me the moment I start playing it. I have never made it past the intro stage(Yes, seriously.).... I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating when I say I have given about 20-50 tries at it. I don't know what the hell it is, from what I remember the intro sequence doesn't introduce any game feature or control scheme that would cause such difficulty. I just can't seem to gauge jumps, fight properly to avoid damage or learn from previous mistakes. It's uncanny, no game has ever made me feel like such a useless tool as that game!

I have to say, it's rather frustrating whenever I hear there's an amazing game beyond that point. I used to be content with my fluke purchase of crappy side scrolling brawler/platformer[sub][sub]This is likely entirely wrong but as I said, I failed to get passed the intro section...[/sub][/sub] while doing my best to ignore people saying it's an underrated gem.


Sigh, time to fire it up again this weekend... I truly believe there's a great game in there, I just wish I could experience it one of these days.

 

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
1,262
0
0
Aiddon said:
definitely one of the most important men in gaming and one who changed the course of gaming's history. If it weren't for Yamauchi then console gaming would have been dead.
I really don't think so. If not for Nintendo, another decent console would have come along. There were many companies making attempts at consoles (including Apple and Commodore), and we always had the C64/Amiga/PC to play with in the meantime. Particularly as the C64, Amiga and many other home computers of the time were a lot like consoles - they were inexpensive, compact and portable, they plugged into the TV, didn't have noisy fans, were easy to use, and even supported things like games on cartridges that you could just plug in and play. And there were many fantastic games that offered what consoles didn't.

Someone would have eventually gotten the console right without Nintendo - as we can see with the success of the original Playstation overshadowing Nintendo. Your argument is kind of like saying that laptops or portable computing never would have happened if it weren't for one particular company. Technology marches on, and while a different history may have given a different timeframe, or different designs, the trend was inevitable. As others have said, the "video game crash" wasn't nearly as big a deal as it is often portrayed in North America.
 

Geekeric

New member
Sep 8, 2010
55
0
0
I find it quite ironic that Bob talks so much about Disney, death and videogames after Toontown (Disney's online 3-D MMO) was shut down last week. As far as I could learn, it was killed purely for the same ruthless business/ profit reasons Bob attributes to Yamauchi. It's also funny that the death of Toontown also got very little press just like Yamauchi's passing.
Maybe someday gaming will reach a place in society where journalists actually know and play videogames, rather than just fake it by dropping names they heard when they bought their smartphones.
 

RTR

New member
Mar 22, 2008
1,351
0
0
I distinctly remember an episode of The Simpsons about how it turns out that Itchy was created by some other guy and not Roger Meyers. I had no idea that was pretty much lifted from reality.
 

ReleGamer

New member
Sep 24, 2013
11
0
0
Really enjoyed that retrospective into Nintendo/ Disney history. To me though, it just cemented the fact that Nintendo needs new IP. I would love to see new characters, new stories, new adventures...but i feel like they keep just retreading the same ground with different hardware. I respect the awesome ideas they have had in the past, but i would appreciate something new...
 

Zer0Saber

New member
Aug 20, 2008
283
0
0
I see the heart felt memoriam at the end and then I say to myself, "wait for it..." Book plug.
 

nightazday

New member
Apr 5, 2009
43
0
0
Henry Ford was just as problematic Edison. Whereas Disney was just conservative and has no real evidence on antisemitism, Ford was pretty much a nazi all but in nationality.

I myself would still compare Miyamoto to Walt and Yamauchi to Roy but either way Nintendo wouldn't have survived without both. May he rest in peace.
 

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
602
0
0
It's the last Moviebob video I watched. You don't put ads to the end of post-mortem video. Never.
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
Why do you seperate videogames as something new. Videogames are a form of games just like Movies are a form of theater. And table top RPGs were around for thousands of years.
even some figurines were found 5000 years ago: http://goddesschess.blogspot.com/2008/06/5000-year-old-figurines-found-near.html
Or those recently featured in escapist 3000 year old wargame figurines.
And if we go even more basic they are games, as in, all games. so they are probably one of the oldest things around really.

Videogames isnt some new thing. they are extension of games, and games are old. very old.
 

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
602
0
0
Strazdas said:
Why do you seperate videogames as something new. Videogames are a form of games just like Movies are a form of theater. And table top RPGs were around for thousands of years.
even some figurines were found 5000 years ago: http://goddesschess.blogspot.com/2008/06/5000-year-old-figurines-found-near.html
Or those recently featured in escapist 3000 year old wargame figurines.
And if we go even more basic they are games, as in, all games. so they are probably one of the oldest things around really.

Videogames isnt some new thing. they are extension of games, and games are old. very old.
Movies are separate from theatre for a long time now, IMO. They work differently. Even theatrical and cinematografic acting are entirely different. Same with games. While some games do represent classic "physical" games, some videogames have more in common with movies then tabletops (Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit and all adventure genre), and some cannot be even imagined as actual tabletops (take Mirror's Edge for example and make a boardgame out of its mechanics). Videogames and boardgames are entirely separate mediums now, even if they have common roots.

Captcha: book reading.

Yes, Captcha, I like it too.
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
Rastrelly said:
Strazdas said:
Why do you seperate videogames as something new. Videogames are a form of games just like Movies are a form of theater. And table top RPGs were around for thousands of years.
even some figurines were found 5000 years ago: http://goddesschess.blogspot.com/2008/06/5000-year-old-figurines-found-near.html
Or those recently featured in escapist 3000 year old wargame figurines.
And if we go even more basic they are games, as in, all games. so they are probably one of the oldest things around really.

Videogames isnt some new thing. they are extension of games, and games are old. very old.
Movies are separate from theatre for a long time now, IMO. They work differently. Even theatrical and cinematografic acting are entirely different. Same with games. While some games do represent classic "physical" games, some videogames have more in common with movies then tabletops (Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit and all adventure genre), and some cannot be even imagined as actual tabletops (take Mirror's Edge for example and make a boardgame out of its mechanics). Videogames and boardgames are entirely separate mediums now, even if they have common roots.

Captcha: book reading.

Yes, Captcha, I like it too.
Well, bob in the video said that while movies wre young we still had theater so "That counts", so apperently he does not think so.

ANd i didnt mean jtu tabletop games. i did mean that games, in general, like hide and seek, should be counted.
 

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
602
0
0
Strazdas said:
Rastrelly said:
Strazdas said:
Why do you seperate videogames as something new. Videogames are a form of games just like Movies are a form of theater. And table top RPGs were around for thousands of years.
even some figurines were found 5000 years ago: http://goddesschess.blogspot.com/2008/06/5000-year-old-figurines-found-near.html
Or those recently featured in escapist 3000 year old wargame figurines.
And if we go even more basic they are games, as in, all games. so they are probably one of the oldest things around really.

Videogames isnt some new thing. they are extension of games, and games are old. very old.
Movies are separate from theatre for a long time now, IMO. They work differently. Even theatrical and cinematografic acting are entirely different. Same with games. While some games do represent classic "physical" games, some videogames have more in common with movies then tabletops (Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit and all adventure genre), and some cannot be even imagined as actual tabletops (take Mirror's Edge for example and make a boardgame out of its mechanics). Videogames and boardgames are entirely separate mediums now, even if they have common roots.

Captcha: book reading.

Yes, Captcha, I like it too.
Well, bob in the video said that while movies wre young we still had theater so "That counts", so apperently he does not think so.

ANd i didnt mean jtu tabletop games. i did mean that games, in general, like hide and seek, should be counted.
I understood that. I just tried to separate videogames from "usual" games. What I wanted to say is: videogames nowadays are NOT ONLY games. Things we call "videogames" often just don't meet requirements to be a game. So videogame is not necessarily a game, these are two different arrays, which have some common elements - i.e., some videogames like multiplayer of Starcraft or Quake IS a game, but singleplayer of many modern videogames is obviously not - it's interactive drama, interactive novel etc. That's what I am trying to say: games as activity and videogames as medium are not the same.
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
Rastrelly said:
Strazdas said:
Rastrelly said:
Strazdas said:
Why do you seperate videogames as something new. Videogames are a form of games just like Movies are a form of theater. And table top RPGs were around for thousands of years.
even some figurines were found 5000 years ago: http://goddesschess.blogspot.com/2008/06/5000-year-old-figurines-found-near.html
Or those recently featured in escapist 3000 year old wargame figurines.
And if we go even more basic they are games, as in, all games. so they are probably one of the oldest things around really.

Videogames isnt some new thing. they are extension of games, and games are old. very old.
Movies are separate from theatre for a long time now, IMO. They work differently. Even theatrical and cinematografic acting are entirely different. Same with games. While some games do represent classic "physical" games, some videogames have more in common with movies then tabletops (Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit and all adventure genre), and some cannot be even imagined as actual tabletops (take Mirror's Edge for example and make a boardgame out of its mechanics). Videogames and boardgames are entirely separate mediums now, even if they have common roots.

Captcha: book reading.

Yes, Captcha, I like it too.
Well, bob in the video said that while movies wre young we still had theater so "That counts", so apperently he does not think so.

ANd i didnt mean jtu tabletop games. i did mean that games, in general, like hide and seek, should be counted.
I understood that. I just tried to separate videogames from "usual" games. What I wanted to say is: videogames nowadays are NOT ONLY games. Things we call "videogames" often just don't meet requirements to be a game. So videogame is not necessarily a game, these are two different arrays, which have some common elements - i.e., some videogames like multiplayer of Starcraft or Quake IS a game, but singleplayer of many modern videogames is obviously not - it's interactive drama, interactive novel etc. That's what I am trying to say: games as activity and videogames as medium are not the same.
What is a requirement of "being a game"?
 

tontje

New member
Jun 4, 2012
9
0
0
Jobs died ??? so that's why they made a movie! I guess that's just how it's easy to miss when you have absolutely no interest said person or brand.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Nicely done homage. Something that needed to be done. Sometimes it just takes a cutthroat business man to forge a new path and start something great. There's good money to be had in making people happy/better off. No reason to dismiss the individual based on ruthlessness when this is what they make (I mean, unless they did something particularly vile to get there).
 

Demandred20

New member
Apr 13, 2013
37
0
0
-Dragmire- said:
Demandred20 said:
wolf_isthebest said:
What is the game shown at 05:19 ?
Its Actraiser. One of IMo the finest games ever released on the SNES and a true classic.
That sounds familiar... although it conjures up feelings like anger, sadness and exasperation.

.......

...

Ah, found it! Oh, it's the second one I own. Actraiser 2 is one of my biggest gaming shames. For whatever reason, all my experience playing games leaves me the moment I start playing it. I have never made it past the intro stage(Yes, seriously.).... I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating when I say I have given about 20-50 tries at it. I don't know what the hell it is, from what I remember the intro sequence doesn't introduce any game feature or control scheme that would cause such difficulty. I just can't seem to gauge jumps, fight properly to avoid damage or learn from previous mistakes. It's uncanny, no game has ever made me feel like such a useless tool as that game!

I have to say, it's rather frustrating whenever I hear there's an amazing game beyond that point. I used to be content with my fluke purchase of crappy side scrolling brawler/platformer[sub][sub]This is likely entirely wrong but as I said, I failed to get passed the intro section...[/sub][/sub] while doing my best to ignore people saying it's an underrated gem.


Sigh, time to fire it up again this weekend... I truly believe there's a great game in there, I just wish I could experience it one of these days.

Actraiser 1 and 2 are completely different games. The second is solely a platformer while the first is a weird hybrid where you platform and build villages Sim City-esqe style while fighting monsters on the map and following a story told through your villages you try to build.