The Big Picture: Memorium

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Memorium

MovieBob gives us an honest and interesting look in on Hiroshi Yamauchi's influence on gaming and popular culture.

Watch Video

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I wonder what Bob thinks about the upcoming Saving Mr. Banks [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140373/?ref_=sr_2], a biopic on Walt Disney during the creation of Mary Poppins.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
The Gentleman said:
I wonder what Bob thinks about the upcoming Saving Mr. Banks [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140373/?ref_=sr_2], a biopic on Walt Disney during the creation of Mary Poppins.

Wonder no more: http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2013/07/bank-on-it.html

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I remember going to a forum, talking about this guy and how he made the industry what it is today, when someone confusingly said "Didn't Shigeru Miyamoto shape the industry to what it is today? What did this guy do?" And I had to explain that it was THIS guy who basically gave Miyamoto, who was a complete unknown at the time, the chance to make the game that would become Donkey Kong, as well as set Nintendo on the track to becoming one of the most dominant gaming forces for years to come.

So yeah, rest in peace, Yamauchi-sama.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I was too young to ever really know of Ymauchi when he was calling the shots of Nintendo. So I never understood how big a role he played in the medium of games. That said, with his passing, one has to think of how things will spin when the faces behind the games start passing like Miyamoto, Newell, Cliffy B, Suda51, or any other names and personalities that (for better or worse) do bring a lot to the medium with what they make.

Morbid to think about, but when those days do inevitably come, I'm interested to see the general reaction and how their losses will impact the medium.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I´m curious, has MovieBob ever said anything regarding Jobs passing? Could be interesting considering his long speech about not making devils and stuff, cause i know a lot of people tend to either categorize Jobs as a devil or a god, which seems a bit ridiculous.

But nice to see someone pay homage to this guy, it´s hard to deny his influence on the industry.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Good job putting things into perspective, Bob.

When the original obit post for Yamauchi came up all I could really think of was why the hell is this news. At the very least I'm ready to concede the fact that it was, now.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Very interesting that a guy that so hated video games (or portrayed that way) would go so far to push video games, and end up making some of the best gaming devices and games this video gaming era has seen.

Just goes to show EA and activision heads that yes you can hate video games and gamers but make quality stuff. Push quality and innovation and not abuse your fans with garbage.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I myself never heard of the guy unfortunately, but I suppose he was quite important to say the least.

I blame capitalism for people trying to make gods out of normal flawed people.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Didn't see this one coming. A business man who's only goal is to make money? you don't say. Next week, Bob will discuss a book called Atlas Shrugged. That is all.

Anyway, it's sad to see another icon of the modern era gone. But I do think that Nintendo didn't do much better without him. The GameCube was his last 'farewell' and the Wii although being placed in every single home everywhere slowly was killed by a lack of good games. Same goes for the Wii U. But there is something they can still save if they want to.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Well I don't always (in fact rarely :p) agree with you Bob - particularly your Big Picture series - this one was very tastefully done and I feel it was something that needed to be said. Indeed, many of us - particularly in the "old school crowd that grew up with the NES and earlier systems - wouldn't be where we are if not for this guy. The influence and impact he had on the gaming world is undeniable, and we as gamers owe him a lot.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Bob said:
"Would any of this be here?"
Yes.

Remember that column Shamus wrote about the great video game crash? You should read the comments about it here and on his blog, the crash was well contained within the USA.

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
damn, been a while since I've seen such a good episode of the big picture... holy crap it really has been a while...