The Big Picture: Miracle, Man.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Miracle, Man.

MovieBob takes us further down the rabbit hole that is Miracle Man.

Watch Video

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Aw man, you used a picture from the Ace Attorney movies! That's pretty cool because now i can feel good about recognizing a rather obscure reference!

Also, i am not very familiar with Gaimans history in comic book writing. But i do enjoy his novels.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
And this is why you spring for the lawyers when you're writing up the contracts rather than waiting until shit hits the fan...

Jan 12, 2012
So comics are weird, but intellectual property rights are weirder. Here's hoping that Gaiman gets the rights to Miracle Man and Medieval Spawn, then writes a comic where the former kills the latter.

Also, does anyone know why Bob used a picture of Big Bird as the "giant middle finger" (around 5 minutes in)?

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
My opinion of all this legal malarkey can be summed up with one of my favourite lines from the film Burn After Reading [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46h7oP9eiBk]:

"Jesus Christ, what a clusterfuck! So, that's it then?"

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Can you do an episode on Avengers/Justice league super villains?
I just started playing a mobile game Marvel War oh hero's and I've taken an interest in some characters I've never heard of like Black Bolt and Ultron.
So I realized I barely know any of the the biggest villains in comics like Darkseid or that pink guy at the end of the Avengers. I'd like an episode to see what kind of stuff we could expect from the future Avengers 2 and JL.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You know, Walt Disney wasn't all that great of an animator. He didn't even animate a lot of his shorts (though HE did do some). He was definitely more of a visionary and a rally cry then the kind of guy who could actually do what his company is famous for... I don't know why, but hearing about who Todd MacFarlane was more interested in merchandising then actually drawing/writing comics, it reminded me of Walt Disney, especially how in later years, Disney was more interested in pushing Disneyland and Epcot then his movies.

Though I have to admit, comparing Walt Disney to Todd MacFarlane is pretty bad on my part, so, sorry. :(

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
The only two things I took out of that is that there may be a vapid TnA character in the next Avengers movie (cause there isn't one already, right guys?) and that the mental image of Todd McFarlane going super saiyan is an awesome one. So all in all, a pretty informative Big Picture for me.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
does MArvel (the company) need a another Marvel named person in their universe? They already have captain Mar-vel, mr. marvel, and mrs. Marvel and i feel like there was a team named the marvels at some point or another. maybe i'm wrong about any or all of those so it may be exaggerated from my perspective. still though.

Man the comics industry is one big clusterf*** huh?

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Urh said:
My opinion of all this legal malarkey can be summed up with one of my favourite lines from the film Burn After Reading [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46h7oP9eiBk]:

"Jesus Christ, what a clusterfuck! So, that's it then?"
Yeah, that movie sums up the entire pointlessness pretty well.

Also, being European, this is all a book with seven seals to me. At the same time, all of it sounds frighteningly like stuff people do. It's just that it's all about comic books that makes it feel kind of weird.

Odd thing about this: the same thing happening over games or novels or movies doesn't...

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
So comics are weird, but intellectual property rights are weirder. Here's hoping that Gaiman gets the rights to Miracle Man and Medieval Spawn, then writes a comic where the former kills the latter.

Also, does anyone know why Bob used a picture of Big Bird as the "giant middle finger" (around 5 minutes in)?
I am only British, but via pop culture osmosis, I swear Americans often refer to putting the middle finger up as 'giving someone the bird'. That would at least make sense.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
You know, there are several things in nerd/geek-dom that I never got into.

Tabletop gaming, Dr. Who, Comic Books being a few..

After watching this today I actually found myself saying "Comics are Weird". I'm rather glad I never got into them myself. It seems like an expensive and confusing hobby.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
IP laws: Fuck 'em.

The comic book industry is probably the most self-evident example of how these failed imitations of "ownership" being applied to monopolistic art regulations and publishing censorship, are just resulting in stories that are entirely twisted around to fit arbitary legal fictions.

Just let everyone write whatever the hell they want to write about, at least about anything that is already older than a decade. Problem solved.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thunderous Cacophony said:

Who owns Big Bird? Muppets people or PBS? Might have something to do with the matter.

ITMT: Miracle Man is a British adaptation of Captain Marvel. Cap is owned by Marvel's competitor DC. This is gonna be weird.

Me? I don't care. Issues 1-15 of Miracle Man were among the best I've ever read. Just get more stuff in print ASAP!

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
I really hope Bob's wrong about Marvel maybe introducing Marvel/Miracleman in Age of Ultron. See, Marveleman was really only notable for Alan Moore's reworking of him, before that he was just a generic,ripoff of Captain Marvel and by extension Superman. The Eclipse Comics stuff though, put him down into a world where there were no other superheroes and Moore wasn't bound by a status quo, which allowed Moore to go crazy with the character, throwing him into apocalyptic battles and dark conspiracies and questions about identity, ultimately ending the series as a quasi-benevolent dictator of a transformed Earth.

Putting Marvelman into the the Marvel universe though, would mean that he can't do any of that stuff, because at the end of the day Marvel Comics wants their fictional universe intact so that they can still tell stories and sell comics with the X-Men and Thor and all their other properties.

We saw the same thing when Marvel introduced the Sentry, that kind of superman-analogue just doesn't fit into the Marvel Universe's paradigm, so they're left awkwardly shuffling from story to story, no writer ever quite sure what to do with them.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I'd like to point out that the whole "Angela is coming" thing kinda dropped out of the press either before or shortly after last week's episode. What happened was Marvel said she's showing up and the nerd media went on a massive "The fuck?!" and blew it way up.