The Big Picture: MovieBob: FAQ

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
That was awesome! I have a huge list of favorite things, that I keep upgrading. I personally believe that everyone should settle on somethings they like best, so in conversation they can come up and people can bond over them. Childish, yes, but still if it wasn't good, people wouldn't have been doing it. Also I want to point out that there is a difference between favorite and best. My favorite movie is "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", though I don't think it's the best movie of all, that would be "The Dark Knight".

Hope I haven't rubbed anyone wrong. Till next time, can't wait for more from Movie Bob :).

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Good ep. Only contention I have is with the comics bit (not all comics are DC/Marvel), but...that maybe due to bias on my part, mainly because I can count on one hand the 'mainstream' trades I actually own, as I usually tend to go for comics that are either written as a single one-off book or a self-contained series of trades such as Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Transmetropolitan. Even the actual superhero trades I have like The Long Halloween or Red Son are, while starring Batman and Superman respectively are also self-contained with minimal reference to other continuity, or, at least not to an extent that it overwhelms the story the book is trying to tell.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Interesting video, and I might have to add to the question about getting into superhero comics.

It's definitely possible to get into them, though not as much as many hardcore fans, without having to deal with a lot of the continuitity. Especially the popular superheroes like Batman and Superman, often have stand-alone stories; Superman: Red Son (one of the best alternate-universe stories ever), The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Arkham Aslyum, etc.

Those are just some I've read myself, but I bet that there are plenty of others out there.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
Oh, hey, Bob likes to bake! That's definitely one thing the two of us have in common! =D

Interesting FAQ. Fun times are always had with answering questions, methinks. And there were some very interesting answers here today.

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
Troll hunter is great fun. Would be cool if you did review it.

Also,extra props if you go and call it "Trolljegeren" the whole review. I find that title superior :>

Tangouser

Aug 12, 2008
I would love to see a review of Troll Hunter and Rare Exports. Should be possible as a double DVD review one week when things are slow. (like around just now???)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
My question:

What is MovieBob's favorite Non-Nintendo game?

Shame it will never be answered...

Vorocano

Jan 8, 2009
All I can think about now is how awesome cheeseburger macaroni would be! Gonna do me some grocery shopping tonight.

As far as comics continuity goes, the rise of Wikipedia has indeed been a boon. I only got into comics a few years ago (2003, at the ripe old age of 22, with the thoroughly awesome Kingdom Come) but having access to online resources like Wikipedia and forums helped immensely. Lately I've been reading and collecting series away from the mainline stories (I've been reading and loving Fables, The Dark Tower, Runaways, and The Walking Dead), or alt-universe stuff (Marvel Noir, Marvel 1602), but when I do flirt with the mainline stories (Blackest Night, House of M) I often find myself plunked down in front of my computer looking up some of the background info.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
You didn't mention your favorite game Bob. In a gaming community site like this one, we care about stuff like that. :)

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for clearing up the "why do you hate____?" issue. Now that I understand what you truly mean I'll stop labeling you as a hater, in fact I'm sorry for doing it.

As for sating you don't actually hate Halo, well thats good to know but it would be nice if you toned down showing it when trying to label something bad. At least that way people will stop accusing you as a hater.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Question: what do you think about Big Bang Theory, which often has a multitude of comic book related references and yet never seem to touch on any of the miriad of issues that these MovieBob videos bring up and which are actually interesting (coming from someone who's read about 5 comic books ever).

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Since around the 3rd "Comics Are Weird" episode it became apparent that you have a lot of knowledge about comic books (primarily American super heroes comics as you mentioned) and while you use this knowledge as a foundation for some of your larger arguments (i.e. the Big Picture) it seems to me that you could probably just talk about comics all damn day and make it interesting. As a huge comic dork myself I find these episodes to be the most fun and engaging of the lot and, while I can't speak for the rest of the Escapist community (considering this is primarily a video game oriented audience), I decree that you should consider doing a whole new show about comics. I mean you already have a show entirely dedicated to films on a video game website, why not comics? Who else would watch a "Comics are Weird" show if good ol' Bob were grace us with his insight and charisma?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Prefer other episodes, but hey, not bad. Just gotta point it out, the "well time just flew by" thing sounded totally fake. Not saying it didn't, just that your voice at that point sounded like it was supposed to be sarcasm :p

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
What is your name?

What is your quest?

What...is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

OT: I now have the sudden urge to try buffalo chicken pizza and hamburger macaroni and cheese. Thank you Bob.

emion

Feb 3, 2011
lol now Im kinda "proud" of norwegian movies for ones :3 have lost faith in norwegian film for a long time now but trollhunters (trolljegerne) was actually a movie that sparked my interest. good to hear that it gets a little interest from the outside too... especially since Im F*cking studying moviemaking and such so would have been my money out the window if norwegian film didnt spark ANY interest :D

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
à
Then you have newer series popping up that don't have that continuity issue. Sure, these tend to be non-super hero books that don't take place in the Marvel or DC universe, but many of them are really good (and some would argue better).
Indeed.

Comics like DMZ, Y the Last Man, Scott Pilgrim, 100 Bullets, The Sandman, The Walking Dead and Fable (to name but a few) have made me all but give up the super hero genres - those stories are usually a lot deeper and better written (I dare not say Mature, but you get the idea)... I allow myself one guilty pleasure in Invincible - and so far, Invincible is plenty easy to follow without reading any other books... it's continuity is pretty much self contained and cameo by other Image Heroes are usually on the short/fan service side rather than 'oh my god! You need to buy issues from 5 different books to know what's going on!' that Marvel/DC usually do.

Honestly, if you're not into continuity, you could do worse than not read DC/Marvel and hit up some of the less know publisher. Continuity isn't so much part of comic books as it is part of super hero comic books. A lot of the non-super hero stuff is really good and the idea are usually pretty fresh... and most of all, they are not saddled with continuity.

Also, a good way to save money is to simply buy trades and only trades. On top of coming out way cheaper, I find sitting down with a 100 pages to read a lot more fun than reading the monthly issues (which are short, filled with adds and usually leave you on your appetite) and Trade paper back actually look good in a book case, unlike comic in their plastic holders...