The Big Picture: MovieBob's 2011 Top Ten

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob's 2011 Top Ten

MovieBob counts down his favorite flicks from 2011.

Watch Video

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
MovieBob could also do that for games and comics (but with 5 instead of 10) to keep it short.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I'm glad you didn't open up with a cliche "And now I'll do you're typicaly Top 10 movies of 2011 that everyone else is doing!" Because that's annoying. Also, for Captain America, hard to say, because most people said it was either average or even downright cliche and below average. I liked it, either way.

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised you didn't include Thor somewhere. The nine I've seen were all great though (Attack the Block hasn't shown anywhere near me).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
X-Men: First Class is actually among my worst movies of the year.

The majority of scenes are so cheaply shot it feels like your watching Chuck, all the CGI except for Beast's feet look like shit, and starting the movie with a German Kevin Bacon talking about chocolate in what was obviously supposed to be a highly dramatic scene crippled the movie for me before it was even out of the gate.

TheCakeisALie87

Jun 7, 2010
I was really disappointed with midnight in paris, with the exception of Dali almost all the characters from the past are one-offs which makes the movie really unfinished. Plus there is a little too much deus ex machina (cough journal cough).

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Nice blend, good you didn' clog the top spots with alot of similar movies. Even if all the best movies were comicbook movies/whatever, you only need to showcase the best example.
Nect week: the list leading down to the Hobbit!

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
A pretty good list. If you are watching Bob for the first time, you can definitely see his passion and, somewhat, obsession with comics and their movie adaptations :) Although I agree with "X-Men" being good, I cant share the sentiment with "Captain America". Im not a part of comics generation, not even American, so for me, COMICS ARE WEIRD! :D What I mean is, there is a very thin line between originality and absurd, and comics cross the line, in favor of absurd, way too often for me. So "Captain America" is, simply put, absurd. A simple fact, that in a supposedly realistic universe, you put magic, just kills it for me. The list is pretty good though :)

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Only film on this list that I saw but completely disagree with was Super. Now don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the depiction of realistic super heroes in a modern day world. I enjoyed Kick-Ass, I loved Defendor, and I'm even probably gonna check out Griff the Invisible if it ever shows up on Netflix.

But Super was just...I don't know. I felt like it tried too hard to be gory and over the top, the comedy always felt a little bit forced to me, and the characters (this is somewhat of a compliment since I think they were supposed to) just came across as unlikeable to me.

I agree with a lot of your other movies, and I can understand what it was you liked about the movie...but I personally couldn't stand it.

I'm gonna go check out some of those other movies you mentioned though that I haven't seen.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Tree of Life, the most unbearably pretentious film made by the most unbearably pretentious (and self-important) filmmaker working right now. Seriously, I've watched Evangelion, I've filled my faux-philosophical quotient. Especially since way too much of it is just Malick obviously working out his creepy mommy issues.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't guess what would be #1 till 3. And then got proved wrong with #2.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Bob, I think you're a great reviewer and I value your opinions... on anything BUT superhero movies. Seriously. You are so incredibly biased towards them it's actually starting to bug me. X-Men First Class was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and Captain America was 100% forgettable. I know there's opinion and all that, but these movies should be in no one's top 10.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
While I enjoy Bob's reviews and find him pretty accurate on most things, he almost always overrates Superhero related films (or wastes two episodes telling us how bad one is) and so try and take those recommendations with a pinch of salt. Pity as I think there are some films not on his list that should be like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Agree 100% up to the Tree of Life. Seriously? The Tree of Life your #1? It was terrible! It was a nothing movie that tried to get away with making no sense and having nothing substantial to it by just having a load of space/time imagery shout in your face "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT WHAT AN ARTISTIC STATEMENT I'M MAKING!" I'm not against movies making artistic statements, I'm all for it actually, but they also have to not suck. The most powerful emotion that I ever felt when watching The Tree of Life, was the soul crushing sadness at how I was never going to get those two hours of my life back. It was that bad.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I'm just gonna vent my opinion here but...

I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE, pretentious artistic films like Tree of Life. Or as I call them rorschach movies. because like a rorschach test, the dense symbolism and meaning, will vary from person to person. being more like a tool to explore your mind than a conveyance of a message. If you can't get across your message to the audience in a movie, your doing it wrong.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Duffeknol said:
Bob, I think you're a great reviewer and I value your opinions... on anything BUT superhero movies. Seriously. You are so incredibly biased towards them it's actually starting to bug me. X-Men First Class was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and Captain America was 100% forgettable. I know there's opinion and all that, but these movies should be in no one's top 10.
You should be glad Nintendo isn't making movies about it's core franchises then.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
X-Men first Class is the pefect X-Men? While I do fully agree with that state but I don't think everyone agreed to that ( *cough* hardcore comic fan).
I kind of suprise that Tree of Life is number 1 in your top ten. Well ok I shouldn't since everyone else had been prasing that film.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I was in a room full of people this week discussing movies, and someone brought up Midnight in Paris.

All but one guy (about 13ish people) said the movie sucked. And not just the normal kind of suck. I mean suuuuuuuuuuuuucccked.

The other guy? Thought it was brilliant.

I don't know who to believe, I guess I have to see it now.