The Big Picture: MovieBob's Best of 2013

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob's Best of 2013

MovieBob gives us a list of his ten favorite movies of 2013. Be prepared for some surprises.

Watch Video

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
I cannot disagree with MovieBob any more than when it comes to Only God Forgives. How anyone can put that disjointed poorly directed, overwrought mess on a best of list, even as a runner up, is a mystery to me. The rest of the list was fine, but seriously, Only God Forgives?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
chiggerwood said:
I cannot disagree with MovieBob any more than when it comes to Only God Forgives. How anyone can put that disjointed poorly directed, overwrought mess on even a runners up list is a mystery to me. The rest of the list was fine, but seriously, Only God Forgives?
I haven't seen it, but I've heard wonderful things about it from critics all over.

That being said, anyone who saw it who wasn't a critic absolutely HATED it.

Probably some disconnect in what is being looked at as "good".

OT: Can't disagree with the list from what I saw this year, still trying to play catch-up though.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I haven't seen any movies this year, but if Moviebob says they're good, I'll give 'em a try.

Especially:
Frozen (even if that damn snowman thing creeps me out)
Pacific Rim (as a fan of Kaiju and giant robots)
and maybe
Spring Breakers or The Wolf of Wall Street (depending on ym mood, I guess)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wow, seeing Iron Man 3 as a runner up was really surprising, but I felt a bit left behind considering a couple of those movies weren't reviewed in Escape to the Movies. Oh, I know some of them are mentioned in depht in Intermission, but still, feels kinda weird to see movies in the list that didn't get the usual review.

I'm still waiting for You're Next since in my country wasn't released on Cinemas, I'm hoping for a domectic version by February.

EDIT: WAIT! Elysium didn't even appear or was it my imagination?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Great list Bob, really felt like Pacific Rim was the best movie I've seen all year for me as well.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok two of them I have not heard of until now (the ones that he didn't reviews on here) and I'm glad to see Pacific Rim is number 1 on your list (I loved that movie so much despite the flaws it got).

Also I be suprise if Man of Steel does not show up in next week episode given how much Bob loathe that film

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Damn! Iron Man 3, Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, and The Worlds End got the runner-up spots?! Kinda figured they would make it but everyone's favorites of 2013 will differ from one another. Glad to see some movies that not everyone has seen pop up on this list. I've gotta go see Frozen sometime soon, hopefully with my niece in the near future (she's into Disney Princesses).

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Pacific Rim was also my favorite this year, if only for being a surprisingly thoughtful take on a premiss that does not sound to be just that. I would have put The Desoaltion of Smaug high on the list though. Not only was it a good continuation of the story, it was also one hell of a ride and casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug (while at first I expected otherwise) was simply inspired. That would come second.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
The best movie of the year is quite obviously Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie - Rebellion. I can forgive you for not having the context necessary to experience that one, however.

I think Bob might also be trying too hard to promote Pacific Rim. It's a good, fresh movie, no doubt. The Oscar should really go to Charlie Day and the black dude, I think, as I really didn't see a whole lot of dynamo acting out of the two maid leads. The plot had a few annoying holes and just... dumbness attached to it, stuff that only children wouldn't question. The Big Dumb Wall, the sword that she just decided to deploy out of nowhere when she could have done it much sooner, the introduction of a few other cool robots and then immediately destroying them... it wasted A LOT of good potential.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
I really didn't like Pacific Rim that much, was probably my biggest disappointment this year. Just found the whole thing "meh". Honestly the way some people talk about it, it's as if they saw another film. To each their own I guess.

I'm going to cheat and put Wreck It Ralf as my number one seeing as it was released in the UK at the beginning of the year.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Kinda saw Pacific Rim near the top of the list and yeah I agree, it's that good.

I think another big factor to it's success in the theaters was that Attack On Titan became the most talked about anime series this year.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Lol really pacific rim? 1st?
I thought there was some seriousness in this list. Whenever I think Bob may have some Credibility, he goes and fanboys it up like this...
I mean, I didn't hate it, unlike many critics. I thought this was super good looking mindless fun... but not best.. not even top 10. If you really want to be objective you at least have to take away some points for the ridiculously eye rolling script. It goes beyond the "its so bad it's good", and it turns bad again.

For a second there I got excited about it going to stoker.. But I guess that's a bit of a hidden Gem. In any case, there were so many better options.. "HER" was absolutely fantastic, "A place beyond the pines" was a great surprise. "Inside Llewyn Davis" was a bit of a return to subtlety for the Coens, And "Dallas Buyers Club" was just so funny.

Well probably a bit too far from the spotlight for MovieBob.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Earthfield said:
Wow, seeing Iron Man 3 as a runner up was really surprising, but I felt a bit left behind considering a couple of those movies weren't reviewed in Escape to the Movies. Oh, I know some of them are mentioned in depht in Intermission, but still, feels kinda weird to see movies in the list that didn't get the usual review.

I'm still waiting for You're Next since in my country wasn't released on Cinemas, I'm hoping for a domectic version by February.

EDIT: WAIT! Elysium didn't even appear or was it my imagination?
No it didn't.

It was weird that some of ythe top ten weren't reviewed on The Escapist, but I'm guessing that the more Arthouse films aren't exactly what the editors want for Escape to the Movies.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rossco64 said:
I really didn't like Pacific Rim that much, was probably my biggest disappointment this year. Just found the whole thing "meh". Honestly the way some people talk about it, it's as if they saw another film. To each their own I guess.
I'm one of those who loved it, but I understand what you mean by how you felt about it. To me, it's not a great movie either, it has faults, and the script could do better, but I love it as it is, and I feel it's a movie that needs to exist, it's important to the industry as a whole in the same way Spec Ops the Line was for videogames last year.

Not perfect, not even near to perfect, but it went where no one else tried, and showed it was possible, always self aware, without being pretentious.

Does it deserves the number one? Not sure, it's up to personal preferences, but I do think it's a movie that it's important that exists for the reasons I mentioned.

Oh, merry Xmas to everyone, don't know how long will I be lurking the Escapist today.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
great list Bob, a little surprised to see Pacific Rim at number 1(figured it was going to be somewhere on here, but more around number 5 or 4, just based on your review)

also you are pretty much right, it is pretty much impossible to screw up robot dinosaurs
Random guy: but what about that transformers mini-comic "the beast within"
Me:(shoots random guy):That never happened!

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Gxas said:
chiggerwood said:
I cannot disagree with MovieBob any more than when it comes to Only God Forgives. How anyone can put that disjointed poorly directed, overwrought mess on even a runners up list is a mystery to me. The rest of the list was fine, but seriously, Only God Forgives?
I haven't seen it, but I've heard wonderful things about it from critics all over.

That being said, anyone who saw it who wasn't a critic absolutely HATED it.

Probably some disconnect in what is being looked at as "good".

OT: Can't disagree with the list from what I saw this year, still trying to play catch-up though.
Actually there's quite a few critics that hated it (it has a metacritic score of 39), some even went as far as asking if the director's previous effort, Drive, was a fluke. And no drive wasn't a fluke it was just a continuation of a pattern for the director of good movie, bad movie, good movie, bad movie. Nicolas Winding Refn made Bronson which was good, then he made Valhalla Rising, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about Vikings fighting Indians for fucks sake, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than paint drying. Then came Drive which was good, then he made Only God Forgives, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about a psychotic druglord mother who was trying to get unjustified revenge for the murder of her psychotic rapist son, who she was fucking, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than watching grass grow. So yeah his next movie should be really good. Sorry for the rabbit trail.