The Big Picture: MovieBob's Best of 2013

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't seen any of the movies on this list, and most of them I don't have any desire to. Esp. Spring Breakers. No Bob, I will not give that a chance. I do not want to watch anything that has to do with Spring Break.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
If Pacific Rim gets a sequel, there better be an equivalent to Macross variable fighters in it.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Michael Bay broke Bob's brain.

Also, I'm having flashbacks to that one Film Appreciation class I took, where the professor made it a point to make a distinction between "best movie" and "favorite movie" on day 1. And Bob wasn't afraid to say Pacific Rim was his favorite, but that Wolf of Wall Street was better.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Pacific Rim... yeah... no.

I thoroughly enjoyed the monster punching bits, but they were a tiny fraction of the movie. The rest was cliche, one-note characters spouting painfully trite dialogue at one another.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nice to see Pain and Gain get a shout out here. Looking back, it was definitely one of the most enjoyable movies that I saw this year and it deserves a little more attention than it's been getting.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I can understand where you're coming from when you make a difference between what your favourite movie was and what you thought best movie was, I think a similar thing towards the endings of different series of historical comedy Blackadder (anyone who is reading this and hasn't seen this should look it up if they like historical comedy). I believe that the ending to the fourth series (Blackadder Goes Forth) to be the best but my favourite is the ending to the one off special they did about 13 yeard ago (Blackadder, back and forth).

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Delcast said:
Lol really pacific rim? 1st?
I thought there was some seriousness in this list. Whenever I think Bob may have some Credibility, he goes and fanboys it up like this...
I mean, I didn't hate it, unlike many critics. I thought this was super good looking mindless fun... but not best.. not even top 10. If you really want to be objective you at least have to take away some points for the ridiculously eye rolling script. It goes beyond the "its so bad it's good", and it turns bad again.
To be fair, Bob even makes it a point of saying that Pacific Rim is NOT the best film of the year, the one before that was the actual best. Pacific Rim is just the one that he personally liked the most, which I think is perfectly fair. He's not blind to how fanboyish it comes across as.

I mean heck, Jim Sterling gave his number 1 game of the year to The Stanley Parable. I think it's perfectly fair to give your number 1 slot to something you personally enjoyed the most, regardless of whether or not it was actually the best.

I am curious what next weeks list will bring. I dunno if I'm expecting Man of Steel to be on the list since yeah Bob didn't like it, but he's also said that was more because of the disappointment of it rather than it being actually bad. I guess if it's there or it's not, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm trying to think back to reviews he did this year where he didn't like the movie very much...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Strain42 said:
I mean heck, Jim Sterling gave his number 1 game of the year to The Stanley Parable. I think it's perfectly fair to give your number 1 slot to something you personally enjoyed the most, regardless of whether or not it was actually the best.
I think you misinterpreted what Jim was doing. He wasn't counting down to his Game of the Year, he was giving out five separate Games of the Year.

OT: I'll be checking out Frozen and Wolf on Wall Street once they hit DVD or something, I imagine. Or perhaps for my birthday next month. Otherwise, I should've expected Pacific Rim to end up where it did, though I had such fleeting interest in it that I forgot it even released this year.

But then, I only saw five 'new' films this year, and two of them will probably end up on Bob's "worst" list next week.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
I would of liked to see Frozen be a bit more higher especially as the only animation but also because its so revolutionary for Disney but at the same time being so restrained in Disney fashion.

Its a stunning animation and does highlight that Disney can still create great fairytails.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
If Pacific Rim gets a sequel, there better be an equivalent to Macross variable fighters in it.
Well, word from Del Toro is, that if there is a sequel, there would be Jaegers made from Kaijus, ala Evangelion or something.

One can only hope for Variable Fighters...

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
So glad to see Frozen make the list. I'm currently trying to subliminally plant in everybody's head that they should go see it, because it really does rank up there with Aladdin and Lion King for me among Disney's animated best.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I'm not at all shocked that Pacific Rim got the #1 Nod. I quite loved it, and I think for those who thought it was 'meh', I say that it was just a fun motion picture. Compared to what other giant fighting seizure robots movies we have had in recent years, at least it didn't try to raise the stakes beyond 'Saturday Morning Cartoon' level antics, and neither did the dialogue, characters or much else.

In that regard, it was a cartoon, and I have no problem with cartoons as long as I'm having fun with them.

What I do have a problem with is that The World's End was on a list of Runner's up.

World's End was better than I thought it would be, it's a little bit sloppy, but totally fun, and to be honest, I still argue with myself which is better as far as Edgar Wright's Blood and Cornetto Trilogy goes (Between Shaun of the Dead and World's End of 'Which is better').

It deserved to be on the list, but then again, it's Neck and Neck on my list for #1 of this year, so no harm, no foul, I suppose.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
chiggerwood said:
Gxas said:
chiggerwood said:
I cannot disagree with MovieBob any more than when it comes to Only God Forgives. How anyone can put that disjointed poorly directed, overwrought mess on even a runners up list is a mystery to me. The rest of the list was fine, but seriously, Only God Forgives?
I haven't seen it, but I've heard wonderful things about it from critics all over.

That being said, anyone who saw it who wasn't a critic absolutely HATED it.

Probably some disconnect in what is being looked at as "good".

OT: Can't disagree with the list from what I saw this year, still trying to play catch-up though.
Actually there's quite a few critics that hated it (it has a metacritic score of 39), some even went as far as asking if the director's previous effort, Drive, was a fluke. And no drive wasn't a fluke it was just a continuation of a pattern for the director of good movie, bad movie, good movie, bad movie. Nicolas Winding Refn made Bronson which was good, then he made Valhalla Rising, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about Vikings fighting Indians for fucks sake, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than paint drying. Then came Drive which was good, then he made Only God Forgives, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about a psychotic druglord mother who was trying to get unjustified revenge for the murder of her psychotic rapist son, who she was fucking, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than watching grass grow. So yeah his next movie should be really good. Sorry for the rabbit trail.
Huh. Well then let me clarify that all the critics that I pay attention to loved it, haha.

Makes sense with that pattern though. I don't follow Refn's work much.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Thor 2 NOT EVEN on the runners up list?
WoW!
I've seen one of the movies in his top10: Pacific Rim.
There are a few I've been thinking of seeing, and will see when I get the chance.
Had seen quite a few of the runners ups though :/

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Strain42 said:
Its a bit different tho, jim's game of the year awards didn't put them in any order.. he said so himself. Just 5 best games of the year.
Pacific rim hardly belongs on the list.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Strain42 said:
I think you misinterpreted what Jim was doing. He wasn't counting down to his Game of the Year, he was giving out five separate Games of the Year.
I'm aware of it, but even if he didn't do what he did last year which was give out 4 "Game of the year" awards and one "TOP Game of the year" award on Friday, I'd be willing to bet there's a reason why he saved the Stanley Parable for last that falls beyond mere coincidence (the only reason I could think of that falls beyond his personal preference and randomization is he could have done them alphabetically, since they do seem to fall that way if you ignore him committing the sin of counting "the" when organizing alphabetically)

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
(sorry for the double post)

Delcast said:
Strain42 said:
Its a bit different tho, jim's game of the year awards didn't put them in any order.. he said so himself. Just 5 best games of the year.
That doesn't matter. Since you've already stated Pacific Rim "hardly belongs on the list" you're already saying whether Pacific Rim was 1, 5, or even 10 it shouldn't be there at all. Jim's awards may have been in no particular order, but it's still basically a top 5 list.

For example, I personally thought The Stanley Parable was boring as ass and doesn't deserve a game of the year award, much less the top one (which I know he said they weren't in any order but unless he was just going alphabetically or randomly I assume there was some reason why he gave it the Friday show) But it doesn't matter what my opinion is because I'm not Jim Sterling, and my opinion means nothing when it comes to the Jim Sterling Awards for best games of 2013.

This video was called "MovieBob's Best of 2013." as in a subjective list of the ones he liked the best. And he liked Pacific Rim best.

Delcast said:
Pacific rim hardly belongs on the list.
And since as previously stated this is a completely subjective list based on the person who made it, you don't really get to make that call. You can disagree with it, go right ahead, but it's not up to you to decide if it should be there or not.

If you wanna make a Delcast's Best of 2013 and not include Pacific Rim, feel free. I will respect your opinion (and no sarcasm, I am curious what your #1 choice would be)

And if you were curious, the Strain42's Best of 2013 would be quite different from Bob's but just because he included films I didn't like or left our films I did, it's not really up to me to say what should and shouldn't be on MovieBob's list.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Also I be suprise if Man of Steel does not show up in next week episode given how much Bob loathe that film
Calling it now - Man of Steel will be his top rated worst movie. That or Smurfs 2.