The Big Picture: MovieBob's Junk Drawer

loip9114

Oct 29, 2009
Okysho said:
Matt_LRR said:
Technically speaking Orcas are dolphins.

Porpises, at least.

-m
I'm pretty sure Orcas are still classified as whales but since they have dolphin parts are considered to be like... a hybrid.. or at least related to the dolphin...

You guys live in Victoria though... might know more than me...

Nintendo... -sigh- I'm losing hope for you guys... I tried to be a devoted fan but... guys... please!! Something good! Just... SOMETHING
Whales, Dolphins and Orcas are of the same animal family. so they are related yeah.

I knew dolphins were dangerous creatures, still like the guys. Jokers of the sea? You just made them more awesome for me :p

I lost track a bit during the show XD ah well. It was fun :)

hugxer

Mar 1, 2011
A few years ago my housemate, who is Russian, has shown me a film where a dolphin with a blade like contraption strapped to its head attacks divers. The film made no sense to me due to the language but the fact remains- a dolphin stabbing divers to death.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i cringed and had goosebumps when you talked about G.I. Joe 2.... o dear god >.<

and the 90s sucked thing was pretty much what i had figured. XD

Great episode. and kudos for pointing out sony's marcus psp campaign was crap.

in regards to Dolphin, what about Free Willy and how that changed the perception of the greatest apex predator in the sea, the Orca, more commonly known the KILLER Whale XD

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
because anything more high brow than "it has big teeth and hence wants to eat you" probably isn't really going to work for the same audience...

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
The Gentleman said:
I'll go down the list:

Taco Bell news: Why do people like Doritos? Or Taco Bell?
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. And thank you. Finally, someone else said it, too.

Aleol

Mar 20, 2009
I don't think it's Jon Chu's previous movie career that's got me all mopey, but the fact he wants to make it "gritty." "Gritty" sucks! We don't want gritty! We want a fun, campy action movie! We get enough "Grit" already!

I like how you used the "Gritty" (read: stupid as hell) batman and robin.

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
Sorry, Bob, but the 1990s weren't that bad. Or at least, the 1970s suuuuuuuucked much worse. I mean, watch anything from the 70s and not feel dirty and ashamed afterwards. Heck, the Mary Tyler Moore show was a collection of everything aweful about the 70s. The hair, the muttonchop sideburns, the extra wide shirt collars laying over even larger jacket collars, the polyester leisure suits in colors not found in Nature.

And the pr0n! Don't get me started on how disgusting the pr0n was in the 70s.

You damn kids nowadays don't know how good you've got it.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009

As far as jon chu directing G.I. Joe 2 I am pissed off. He should stay away from directing it. Not so much for Step Up 3 (only the dancing parts are cool) mostly for the justin bieber film. G.I. Joe lucked out with a good theatrical release but making it more gritty is going to destroy it because G.I. Joe is not supposed to be gritty. If it does become gritty it's just gonna be another The Expendables and though I like that film there is no need for other films, especially G.I. Joe 2, to be similar to The Expendables...or Rambo.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I kind of like this Junk Drawer idea, I'd like to see more of them, if possible...

1.) So when I heard this, I thought it was stupid, and in the back of my mind, I kind of knew it was a publicity stunt, but at the same time, I find some people who genuinely believe this and support it. It kind of supports the notion that celebrities are almost guaranteed to win in political elections, because it almost always comes down to a popularity contest.

2.) lol, that's pretty much true. I like comments like this, because it basically proves you're not a fanboy, since you willingly take the piss out of Nintendo's shortcomings. I have to say, it's a major improvement over your first Game Overthinker episode.

3.) When I heard that, I'm like "Ew, that's disgusting!" I wasn't at all surprised to hear that you would try it out. But me, no thanks. I LOVE Doritos, and I think Taco Bell tacos are pretty good, but I'd prefer to have them separate. Also, the whole thing just sounds really unhealthy. Not that it matters, but still.

4.) "They'll never stop The Simpsons! Have no fear, they've got stories for years, like; Marge becomes a robot! Maybe Moe gets a cell phone, has Bart ever owned a bear, or; how 'bout a crazy wedding! Where something happens, and do-do-do-doo! Sorry for the slideshow! Have no fear, they've got stories for years!"

5.) Yeah, I read about that on the Escapist. And I didn't bother to comment about it. Because it's not worth it. Bleh. :/

6.) So, I guess some people weren't on board with you about the G.I. Joe movie. I dont' see how making it "gritty" will improve it, but I guess it doesn't matter at this point, since they're giving it to the guy who made the JUSTIN BIEBER MOVIE! Geez!

7.) Well, here's the thing. Being smart is good, but being evil means that you'll never be able to use those smarts for anything useful, because it's going to be so focused on doing douchebag things like taking over the world or selling an atom bomb to Hitler, and it all ultimately doesn't matter because good is always destined to win anyway. Still, since you're already smart, and since you've already admitted to being on Magneto's side in one of your Big Picture episodes, I'd say the choice is rather obvious.

8.) Well, yeah, BOTH the movies sucked, but I think everyone agrees that the second movie's story was WAY more stupid and incomprehensible then the first.

9.) Okay, yeah, that makes sense. Worst years of your life, I can get that. STILL would like to see you comment on the good things from the 90's. Particularly the animation, whether it be Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, or the Disney Renaissance. Actually, the Super Nintendo came out in the 90's. Does THAT mean it sucked? The Nintendo 64, too! Then again, you hated the trend the PlayStation started, so maybe videos games wouldn't be a good example. Still, say something nice about the 90's for once. You can still hate the 90's for all its shortcomings, but at least admit that SOME good came out of it.

10.) lol, dolphins, the Joker of the sea. It totally makes sense, and people really need to take a closer look at what they think dolphins are.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Well, with the G.I Joe thing...yea I would have taken the guy more seriously if he hadn't used the gritty when he is best known for a Justin Bebier movie. However, maybe some good can come out of it, too early to tell.
With the 90's....I can see when you're coming from there Bob, the awakward teen-years tend to tarnish the good things happening.

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
Nice one Bob. I'll just reply to a few of the things you brought up.

The 90's: Well, at least I'm glad you're admitting it was subjective. I hated the 80's myself for much the same reason, as I was a teenager myself at the time. As I like to say, "When everyone around you is walking around with gel in their hair and wearing skinny ties, you'd feel depressed and suicidal, too!" Aside from some great Metal bands and video games, movies like TRON, Gremlins, Ghotbusters, Batman, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Heavy Metal and shows like Robotech and Star Trek: The Next Generation, I could have done without the bulk of that decade.

For me, the 90's were pretty cool, although as others have said, the music largely sucked. But here are just a few things I remembered about the 90's: Batman: The Animated Series, Freakazoid, Pinky & The Brain, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5, Superman: The Animated Series, seaQuest DSV, The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, the entire Wing Commander series, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Com, System Shock, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Independence Day, and Event Horizon just to name a few.

The Simpsons: Well, glad you still like it. I thought it lost its relevance a decade ago. It's gone on too long and needs to die.

Transformers 2: Confirmed what I believed all along. I'll concede that the second movie was bad, but really the first movie wasn't that bad. I really liked it myself anyway. Now I know you elaborated at length in your review that "you can make a good movie out of anything" and that anyone who makes the argument that it's "based on a toy" is a douchebag, but I'm sorry, Bob: it is a toy license. And I know you went on about all those "big ideas" that Transformers had, but aside from Simon Furman, no one else picked up on them. Transformers isn't something like, say Star Trek in that behind all the giant robot mayhem that it had something to say about society or the human condition. It was escapist fantasy, and that's all that it is. It never will be as deep as Trek or even Battlestar Galactica (which is what it sounds like you and others want it to be). And as long as Hasbro sees it that way, that's all its ever going to be. You may hate Michael Bay, but for my money, he was decent choice for the job. Not good, but decent, and they could have done much worse.

Now if you want to talk about an 80's cartoon show that had a lot of big ideas that never lived-up to its potential, I'd say Thundercats would be a more appropriate choice. It drew its inspiration from the likes of Tolkien and the Arthurian legend and had an ambitious premise drawn straight from the Campbellian playbook. But it was brought down by bad writing and voice acting and was just a better-looking version of the He-Man cartoon. Fortunately the new show looks to be embracing the epic concepts that I thought the original always had. And I'd like to hear your take on both the old and the new shows.

magicringgirl

Apr 17, 2009
Hey I love my DS! And I don't mean to be biased but Sony is going to have to do something majorly drastic to get me to buy and/or use one of THEIR products! All I need is my nintendo stuff, xbox and computer and I'll be set for life.

P.S. You totally could have stretched out some of those topics more :p

Fun episode, thanks!

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
Who would have thought back in the days of the Escapist Presents that a 1 minute blurb with some random guy ragging on the first twilight movie would go on to carry the escapist brand?

MvB, you never fail to entertain.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I've watched the sewer alligator one :D used to rent loads of monster movies, trying to find good quality.

wehrp3nguin

Dec 21, 2009
There was an "upright citizens brigade" episode with evil alien dolphins, and I think the "Penguins of Madagascar" had a 2-part episode with an evil dolphin