The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Nurb said:
I was REEEEALLY looking forward to Brave... until I saw the full trailer.

I have no problem with a tough female main character, and I like how she's designed, but surprise! surprise! It's another typical "You're a girl! You can't do that! You go to kitchen now and make babies like real girl!" story AND they made her the cliche sarcastic woman character that constantly rolls her eyes at the dumb antics of the male characters around her and doles out smart-ass comments.

Oh boy, I've not seen THAT sort of thing since last night's rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond. Way to get even lazier, Pixar. First movie with a female lead, and they went with the easiest kind of story for it, one that's been done to death, and they didn't seem to want to do the extra thinking required to make a script that doesn't make a female character's gender her identity and that doesn't make her out to be a victim because of her gender. I am disappoint. What's next, A team of young black folks being given a hard time because of their race before triumphantly rubbing success in their antagonists' face?

Lets get down to biz-NESS, to defeat... the bears!
I'm glad to see someone shares my thoughts on this as well. I hope we're wrong of course and that the movie will actually be up to normal Pixar standards, but I did enjoy reading what I could not say myself. Thank you.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
When you got down to only two left I was thinking "wait...The Hobbit, The Avengers and Dark Knight Rises, which one isn't he excited for?!?!" Oddly enough, I've gotten somewhat of a similar impression from DKR, I was as hyped as I was ever going to be right when I saw the credits roll on The Dark Knight, all those years ago. Since then it seems every bit I learn about it slowly lowers my expectations, I think it'll be good but I hardly see it withstanding and surmounting the hype that is being leveled against it. This is of course a situation where I'd LOVE to be wrong.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Nurb said:
What's next, A team of young black folks being given a hard time because of their race before triumphantly rubbing success in their antagonists' face?
Well probably not seeing as Red Tails is coming out in a couple of weeks.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
There wont be Xenomorphs in Prometheus, it has been confirmed in interviews.

And Finland sided with Nazis in the war against Soviets, so yeah...

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
Replace Hobbit with Batman and make 1 and 2 equal, and I have pretty much the same list. I'm just not a fan of the Lord of the Rings films. I don't hate them, but I don't really care about them.

jkvoller

Dec 18, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
The problem with the new Batman is that once you've done the Joker, you got nowhere to go. Same if they put Doomsday in a superman film.

The recent Marvel films have been the only thing to get me to the theater as of late so Avengers is my number one. That Jamie Fox movie does intrigue me though.
What about Darkseid.

Anyone who calls Bane boring in the comics is off by a long shot. Apart from being one of the only villains to discover Batmans identity, Bane is also a master tactitian as well as being a much more physical presence than Batman is and that's what makes Bane interesting. He's Batman on steriods.

It makes me a sad panda when people only think of Bane as the the suck ass zombie/remote controlled muscle that he was in Batman and Robin

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
TheSchaef said:
mronoc said:
...Disney Animation Studios work has really been on an upswing lately, but they've mostly just been treading old ground with princess films and Winnie the Pooh. Seeing as this is their fist real original film since Bolt, it could be a real indicator as to whether or not we're entering a second Disney Renaissance, in the wake of Eisner's ousting.
I think the advent of John Lasseter has been a huge boon for the quality of the Disney brand in recent years. I know this is not considered "original" in the vein of Bolt, but did you catch Tangled? While it is the classic Rapunzel tale after a fashion, it also kind of subverts the traditional fairy tale a la Shrek, and the title Tangled was meant to reflect that change in perspective and the enhanced role of Flynn Ryder. As a film it works, and is entertaining for all, and more to the point, was a huge leap forward for (non-Pixar) Disney CGI work. The effect is subtle, since the best special effects are the ones you don't see, but they spent $260million on this film to make it look like a CGI rendition of their original watercolor style animation. So story aside, the film just LOOKS beautiful.
I loved Tangled, but still, a case can be made that it's a natural evolution of the traditional Disney princess film. Yes, it's humorous in places, but even sequences Snow White were considered funny at the time. That said it was still a big step forward in terms of actually making the main characters entertaining, rather than relying on side characters for comic relief. Either way, I think the ability to make film from the ground up that isn't an existing property, or so firmly rooted in pre-conceived notions of what Disney has always been, is a big step insofar as proving their ability to sustain their current momentum. Bolt was a solid film too, but John Lasseter took special care of that, because it was the first Disney animated feature on which he had an opportunity to make his mark.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
jkvoller said:
Shadowstar38 said:
The problem with the new Batman is that once you've done the Joker, you got nowhere to go. Same if they put Doomsday in a superman film.

The recent Marvel films have been the only thing to get me to the theater as of late so Avengers is my number one. That Jamie Fox movie does intrigue me though.
What about Darkseid.

Anyone who calls Bane boring in the comics is off by a long shot. Apart from being one of the only villains to discover Batmans identity, Bane is also a master tactitian as well as being a much more physical presence than Batman is and that's what makes Bane interesting. He's Batman on steriods.

It makes me a sad panda when people only think of Bane as the the suck ass zombie/remote controlled muscle that he was in Batman and Robin
I Know about how awesome Bane is, but the Film doesnt seem like its pulling it off well. While the comic book version looks like he could be a problem, Nolan's version is just some guy in a dumb mask.

Sep 17, 2009
MovieBob said:
MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

You might be surprised what's not on there.

Watch Video
Honestly, I feel the way you feel about Dark Knight Rises about The Avengers.

I am almost certain it is going to be a messy flop.

Whedon is a pretty bad writer (save for Firefly) and almost every single Marvel movie was nothing special.

Thor- Only the parts in Asgard were good
Captain America- Terrible
Iron Man- Great
Iron Man 2- Decent
Incredible Hulk- Mediocre

I honestly can't see how it is going to be that good. Robert Downey Jr and Jeremy Renner are good actors, but not good enough to save what seems to be a misguided train wreck. But it'll make tons of money, and at the end of the day that's all the Disney...sorry Marvel, cares about.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
List pretty much coincides with my most anticipated movies for 2012. Had no idea they were making a film on Lincoln or Quentin Tarantino's film on slavery.

Additionally I forgot all about Batman. For the longest time I thought screenshots of Bane were from the upcoming GI JOE movie. I always like Bane's mask but never really thought he was that interesting of a character. What happen to Two Face, Black Mask, or Ra's Al Ghul way better source material.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
For some reason, I was worried he wouldn't put Brave on the list, mostly because it's in my top 5 for this coming year. John Carter was a bit of a surprise, considering the general hype behind it not being so hot. I mean, I, for one, really want to see it. I just didn't know about anybody else.
Also, I cannot believe I forgot about Django Unchained. Although the lack of posters/trailers so far would help my case.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
Ahh, Prometheus. Probably the movie I am least excited for this year. It has trotted out one of my least favourite sci-fi cliches, aliens were somehow responsible for the creation/development of mankind or humans are from another planet. If it was more of a prequel to Alien, that would be nice. Or an archaeological dig on a dead alien race, maybe. But extraterrestrial origins of mankind, sorry mate, back seat.

I am however looking forward to 2013, when David Fincher's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea comes out.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
If there's one big reason why I can't wait for Dark Knight Rises to come out is so that Christopher Nolan can finally quit Batman and go back to something that compliments his sensibilities a lot more. To this day, I think that stuff like Memento and Inception are better than The Dark Knight.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
chetoos said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Avenger's Movie plot: Its a Skrull invasion
Regarding the Avengers plot, I have to disagree with you on the alien race they're using. While it's true that the Skrull could be candidates for the secret big villain, I am hedging my bets more on the Kree, for 3 reasons: One: The Skrull shapeshift, making them more suited to a suspense piece like the Thing, while the Kree are pretty normal looking, maybe a bit like the Jotuns in terms of effects, but nothing major, and they don't shapeshift. Therefore, for their first outing, I doubt they'll go for suspense, they're going more for major action, therefore Kree.
Reason 2: Captain Mar-Vell
Reason 3: Ms. Marvel.
Na-uh it's a Shiar Invasion, so we can have Thor fight Gladiator as a thinly veiled take that to DC.

Kidding aside, shouldn't we just wait for the film?

Mneldad

Sep 13, 2011
I was getting concerned when "The hobbit" didn't come in at three because I thought for sure, you would put "The Dark Knight Rises" as two and one would be "Avengers.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
I got little chills and smiled uncontrollably at the mention of The Hobbit. Everything about that film makes my entire person ache with need to see it, and then see it again, and then see it again, and keep on like this until it's ingrained in my memory forever.

My anticipation of it is second to no film. The Lord of the Rings didn't get this much because when it was released, I was a bit young to properly appreciate what they'd done. When I was 11 RotK came out and I was quite excited for it, but it wasn't until I'd gone through high school with them rewatching numerous times a year, did it fully strike me just how brilliant they were. Mind I enjoyed FotR so much as a 9 year old that I immediately began a lifetime adoration of Tolkien's work, in so much as I began reading his work, work about his work, and by 13, making steps towards reading and writing Sindarin.

Anyway... yeah, I fucking love this years outlook. Please humanity, don't spoil our memories of it by doing stupid shit.

I'm also more excited for the Avengers film now because I've gotten into the whole universe quite a bit since going to university; I met people who recommended things to me, and reassured me that it didn't much matter where I begun. So that got me grinning.

Looking forward to Spielberg's "final days of Lincoln" film too, I'll definitely be waiting for that one to hit the cinemas. While I wait, I should go to Vue or Cineworld sometime this week, I have gift cards and a spare 5 days ^_^