The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

You might be surprised what's not on there.

Watch Video

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Nice touch at the end, I'm in total agreement though. There has not been a single image, or single video that has got me in anyway excited for the dark knight.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I don't see how The Avengers can ever be good. It has enormous pressure and is being directed by someone who has made one previous feature film.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
It's too soon for the bin Laden Film. A documentary made for the Discovery Channel or the History Channel they can get away with. A live-action movie is insulting. It would be like if some film company from the Arabic world made a movie about the first guy who was ritually beheaded on camera and broadcast to the internet.

It's crass, low brow, and the worst kind of "Gotcha" film-making for mass consumption.

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Huh when I first saw the promos for Star Wreck (on this website no less) I actually thought it was an RTS.

Daniel Day Louis as Abraham Lincoln + WIN!

Avenger's Movie plot: Its a Skrull invasion
Regarding the Avengers plot, I have to disagree with you on the alien race they're using. While it's true that the Skrull could be candidates for the secret big villain, I am hedging my bets more on the Kree, for 3 reasons: One: The Skrull shapeshift, making them more suited to a suspense piece like the Thing, while the Kree are pretty normal looking, maybe a bit like the Jotuns in terms of effects, but nothing major, and they don't shapeshift. Therefore, for their first outing, I doubt they'll go for suspense, they're going more for major action, therefore Kree.
Reason 2: Captain Mar-Vell
Reason 3: Ms. Marvel.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
1: The Hobbit
2: The Avengers
3: Django Unchained
4: Unnamed Kathrin Bigalo project, i.e. "Kill Bin Ladin"
5: Prometheus
6: Lincoln
7: Brave
8: John Carter
9: Iron Sky
10: Wreck it Ralph

Wow, I totally forgot about The Dark Knight Rises until you reminded me.

Prometheus is definitely my most anticipated this year, followed by Django Unchained (because it's Quintin Tarintino). I'm moderately excited for The Dark Knight Rises if only because I thoroughly enjoyed the last two and this trilogy desperately needs closure.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
the freaking hobbit. I literally can't wait.

It had better be as awesome as it should be :)

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I almost 100% agree with you on this Bob.

Though, The Grey in a few weeks is making me pretty excited too. Liam Neeson fistfighting wolves. Yesssssss.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
most of those movies i haven't even heard of... and now i want to see them... except prometheus. never liked the alien movies, not really interested in prequel no matter how tangential, and i'm just not feeling it.

Lincoln movie looks food though... and it's f-n speilberg.

EDIT; One minor thing, i've never actually read the hobbit. but by god i've tried. and the trouble with a movie is it's going to be long and the fellowship of the ring got alot of flak for being three hours of people traveling, and this is going be that in triplicate... i want it to be good, and it probably will be but it may not gel with the broad audience it's going to need to in order to justify it's budget.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm looking forward to a lot of these too.

Space Nazi's on the Moon, you say? I'll bring the popcorn if you buy the sodas?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I completely forgot about the Dark Knight Rises until that record skippy wippy sound played. This year will be all about the nerds, Epic fantasy and Superheroes. Cant wait.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
I liked this video, as it informed me of quite a few films I haven't heard about yet, and all of them sound pretty damn good.
Dark Knight Rises has instilled the same feeling in me, really, as the film looks pretty good, but if you're going to dare do a sequel to something as awesome as The Dark Knight, you're going to have to do more than pretty good.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
The next Silent Hill movie is also supposed to be released this year. For some reason I actually find myself interested in it. Not that it would be a faithful adaptation of SH3, or anything, just that I'd love to see if there is any hope for the series on the big screen.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, let's be honest. We've all already seen the best Christopher Nolan Batman movie there will ever be. This one could prove interesting and fun, but it will never ever be able to recreate the confusion of Heath Ledger's casting, the tragedy of his death, and the revelation that was his performance. The Dark Knight wasn't just a movie. It was a phenomenon. That it was a very well made film was almost beside the point.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Actually... im not all sure what comes out, so really the only thing im extemely excited for is red tail. Looks like a good movie.

and Bob's just not a pittsburgh fan. XD kidding. though i did hear that as a complaint as why someone at my college wont go see the movie.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
o_0?! Space Nazis?! Alright, well my list of most anticipated films pretty much boils down to Lincoln, Iron Sky, Brave, and The Avengers. I'm gonna stick to my guns and continue to believe that Summer 2012 is gonna be the greatest summer for movie releases!

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
FinalDream said:
Nice touch at the end, I'm in total agreement though. There has not been a single image, or single video that has got me in anyway excited for the dark knight.
Agreed, I kinda liked the dark knight but like Bob said before that film is increasingly looking like a right time right place movie.

I am kinda surprized that the hobbit got number one but I'm glad since that is the only LotR I like and have read. Hoever I hope they keep the childrens books senciblitys of the book.

Django Unchained is another one I agree with but it is looking like it won't be released until 2013 at this rate. Isn't this the first Tarintino film since his Editor Sally died?

EDIT:
emeraldrafael said:
Actually... im not all sure what comes out, so really the only thing im extemely excited for is red tail. Looks like a good movie.

and Bob's just not a pittsburgh fan. XD kidding. though i did hear that as a complaint as why someone at my college wont go see the movie.
I forgot this film! I'm surprized at this one not being on the list but I have no idea if bob is a Lucas fan.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ha you had read my mind when I saw the Dark Knight Rise wasn't on your list.

Man I need to get back into film news since three of them I haven't heard about until now (Wreak it Ralph, Lincoln and Django Unchained).
Also it never occur to be that Brave is the first Pixar film to have a female protagonist.

lastoflancas

Aug 17, 2009
Huh, can't say I didn't expect this.

Anyway, comments on Bob's selections:

10) Sounds nice, but Jane Lynch as Master Chief... sounds more like Samus than whatnot. Can't think of a title but the premise sounds awfully familiar.

9) Space Nazi.. on the moon... Enough said. Gotta hand it to nation of Finland for surprising us all.

8) Eh, the trailer was OK, but it looks more like an action-filled flick than one with in-depth story and drama. I won't look forward to watch it unless my buddies want to as much as they want to watch Batman movie.

7) Gender role-challenging films have been a norm for this day and age, so not looking forward to this one as well. However, it's Pixar so the list is above John Carter at least. Speaking of which, I guess the forums will buzz with Pixar giving out next movie's image on their previous ones (LOOK IT UP ON GOOGLE).

6) Historical movies are quite turn-off for me so this is going down quite a lot on my list. In my past experience, having big-named stars in a movie doesn't work out as well as general public want it to be. So, this will be my number 10 on anticipated movies.

5) There are many people who are arguing that the Prometheus is not prequel for Alien, but what do I know. I loved Alien series, so I am going to get suckered in to watching this movie, whether it will be great as the first one or bad as the 4th one.

IMO, Alien series should've ended on third.

4) Ugh, stop with the ego-jerking America. We know you are awesome for killing Bin Laden. Don't have to show off to people in the world how great you are.

Seriously, though. I liked "Hurt Locker" for its story and drama more than its setting and what they are trying to convey. I will wait for reviews (OTHER country's reviews) until I watch it. Better have more drive than just everyone being psyched for killing Bin Laden.

Oh, and *FLAME SHIELD ON*

3) Tarantino is my guilty pleasure. It was a roller coaster to see Inglorious Bastards, so this movie will be fun, too... maybe? Kinda raised my eye brow after hearing that last comment. Guilt trip, much?

Oh, Tarantino. What lengths will you go to make the movie as cheesy but memorable to us all.

2) Eh... I see Bob's "hyped" attitude when it comes the Avengers, so I wouldn't say it's not biased. Sure, those movies were really great both with numbers and with the actual story. I mean, I was pretty skeptical about Captain America being, well, too American, but the story itself is told from an individual, not the nation, and international audience (more or less) realized that and saw the movie as an Superhero movie, not an American Superhero movie. Though, I think it should be mentioned that the title "First Avenger" was used instead of "Captain America" in most international releases (to avoid sales loss, I am sure).

However, I won't say it will be the most awesome movie that puts those movies in the blender and serve it up raw and untainted. So, it's high up on my list as well, but I will hold my judgment until the fat lady sings.

1) You took the words right out of me, Bob. So... yeah...

As for Batman, I understand Bob's position when he says he doesn't anticipate as much as other movies, because I don't either. The trilogy being the most horrendous of all three movies were, unfortunately, quite common these days, so I will hold my breath on this one, too.

Now, back to work.