The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
After seeing the Prometheus trailer I can't help but feel a bit excited. The moment I saw that quick shot of the Space Jockey chair popping out of the floor my anticipation multiplied by a hundred.

God, I hope Ridley hasn't lost his mojo.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
If you replace The Dark Knight Rises with the Avengers you have pretty much how I feel about that movie.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Eh, I wasn't surprised at all. You made it pretty clear in your TDKR trailer commentary that you didn't think too highly of its prospects.

Anyway, great list nonetheless.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
When I saw the credits roll with over a minute to go, I knew exactly what was coming up. Well played, Bob.

And I agree with most of your list, though I hadn't heard of #10. Indifferent towards the "Kill Bin Laden" film though.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Not being American i was't all that pushed about the Lincoln movie till i saw James Spader, then i thought... okay... maybe... then Daniel Day Lewis appeared and i couldn't help but Smile :)

Promethus, Ridley Scott... doesn't need any hype im already sold

Tarrantino, meh... not american so i don't have the white guilt trip thing, but Tarantino is Tarantino, and he kept the best actor from Inglorious Bastards involved so im definately going to catch it.

Killing Bin laden... like i said not American, so unless its really good ill probably miss it.

James C. Reilly in the computer game movie, i like it :) unless it gets suky reviews ill probably catch it

Space Nazi's on the moon :) lol brilliant Finland, just Brilliant :)

Pixar braveheart girl.... meh... one Mulan movie is enough.

Avengers FTW.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Okay, Bob, do us all a favor and stick this episode in a mason jar on your shelf with a label that says, "Open me again in January 2013" and tell us how the movies met, or failed to meet, your anticipation.

What about the other Lincoln movie? I'm anticipating that, but not necessarily with any expectation that it will be good, just interesting.*

* Keeping in mind that, "It's interesting how boring they managed to make this" also qualifies.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Of those I'm looking forward to Prometheus, Iron Sky, the Hobbit and (with reservations), the Avengers.

Two things worry me about the Avengers - firstly if it might collapse under the weight of too many characters ala the X-Men movies, with Iron Man in the Wolverine role - and secondly, I'm not a huge fan of Whedon's writing. It's good, certainly, but to my ears all of his characters sound like snarky genre savvy teenagers. it's a style that'll suit Iron Man, but not sure of the rest of the cast.

The Dark Knight Rises I suspect will definitely be an underwhelming third instalment. I'm not even that big a fan of Nolan's po-faced, overly serious and self important films, but even so I don't see how the third movie can stand up to the inevitable comparisons to TDK.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
I'm also looking forward to a Lincoln movie ... except it's called : Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

I hope that will be an awesome flick, even if just a popcorn movie.

Overall good list Bob.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
there is a very thin line, between originality and absurd. Space Nazis are so into the absurd side of the spectrum, that they dont even remember what originality looks like. For me, it sounds and looks stupid!

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
The real reason Bob not excited for TDKR
He afraid Marvel's multibillion dollar, mass super hero,juggernaut will undoubfully be slain at the box office by
1 masked DC super hero

Lets face it, Avengers is Bob's baby he has been hyping for years(for just reasons). The Gamble brocken over several years and so far 5 films is likely not going to be the most successful comic book fill of the year.

Not saying it can't be better or do better, but likely won't.

TDKR seems good from what I've seen so far. Bane and his men/who hired him seem to be making this an out right war with Batman, uping the stakes from the very personal duel in TDK.
Not to mention Catwoman seems to be turning out exactly how I predicted she would several months ago, a robin hood like figure determined to ruin the lives of Gotham's elite.

Still, The Hobbit will crush all in the end.:p

popepaul3

Sep 8, 2010
Did Moviebob just tell US not to go into a big crybaby hissy fit?!....Pot kettle anyone?

popepaul3

Sep 8, 2010
Did Moviebob just tell US not to go into a big crybaby hissy fit?!....Pot kettle anyone?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Was watching this, and my friend went "Why did he not put The Hunger Games on there?!!?!?!"

It was funny to be honest, it's like he actually thought Bob would rank The Hunger Games over The Hobbit.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
I had to wind it back when he said "Prometheus is a prequel to alien"

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!??! How awesome is that?!?!!

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
I don't trust Ridely Scott, so, not looking forward to Prometheus. Looks like another lacklustre year for horror cinema, unless, that is, Woman In Black doesn't turn out to be a terrible adaption.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
lastoflancas said:
Though, I think it should be mentioned that the title "First Avenger" was used instead of "Captain America" in most international releases (to avoid sales loss, I am sure).
I believe it was because a movie called Captain America had already been released in the 90's.
EDIT: Oh wait you mean the actual title was changed. I thought you were talking about the subtitle. Yeah you are probably right then.

OT: I don't keep up with movie news so I hadn't heard of most of these except for Iron Sky, Avengers and Hobbit. The Avengers movie is really the only one I'm anticipating and plan to go and watch in theatres.

Glad to know there is a new Pixar movie. Now to go through Cars 2 to find the reference to Brave.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Jonh Carter looks terrible, the rest looks great and I hope that Pixar does something diferent then Mulan in 3D, but since its Pixar they probably will