The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
chiefohara said:
Pixar braveheart girl.... meh... one Mulan movie is enough.
...wow. So endless action flicks are okay if they're about guys, but there's a maximum limit of one action girl movie ever? Nice.

They're unrelated anyway. Mulan was a girl posing as a boy to protect her father and yaddayadda honor yaddayadda China yaddayadda. She goes back to playing her expected family role when she gets home, gets married, etc.

Brave is apparently a Scottish princess who just doesn't want to be tied down to 'get married and be queen safe at home' all her life so she's going to go adventure. Completely different setting, motivation and purpose. "Female lead" is practically all they have in common.

What the hell, guy.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Film 10 - You know nothing about the movie but you look forward to it? Just rumours.
As for the Tarantino movie, that guy can direct, but his dialogue sucks. Not for what is said, just that every character in his movies talks like he does. He could write a movie set in 12th century Israel and they would talk the same. Awesome director....just let some one else do the scripts.

As for the new Batman. I agree. Joker was interesting. Catwoman and Bane are not interesting at all - yes we have to wait to watch the movie. But at the moment they dont grab my interest.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Iron Sky is actually coming out?!

I know Dark Knight Rises will be mind-blowing, so I'm not anticipating how great it is. I'm most excited about The Raid, how has this not been mentioned?!!?!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Huh, if he hadn't mentioned The Dark Knight Rises then I wouldn't have even noticed that it wasn't there.

So.....Space Nazis on the Moon? Can I get a HELLS YEAH?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
The problem with the new Batman is that once you've done the Joker, you got nowhere to go. Same if they put Doomsday in a superman film.

The recent Marvel films have been the only thing to get me to the theater as of late so Avengers is my number one. That Jamie Fox movie does intrigue me though.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Considering that my mother, while doing her Genealogy work and watching a Civil War Documentary, found out something rather disturbing: A branch of her family tree were White plantation owners in Georgia, who owned slaves, and were mostly killed off during the atrocities that happened during Sherman's march to the sea (all the dates and death records match up).

So I will be boycotting "Django Unchained" because, while I think slave owning is despicable (I really cant change what my ancestors did), I can't really support a movie that glorifies what the director sees as 'justified' killing (Big hint here folks, no killing is justified with the exception of child rapists and murderers, they can rot in hell) of fictionalized people who could very well be like members of my family. I like Teranteno's films, I loved Kill Bill, and Inglorious Basterds was awesome, but this is just too much.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
See, when you said "you might be surprised what's not on there" I actually thought you were going to omit The Avengers.

I want this movie to be good. I do. But hollywood has often made big movies with big casts and there's a thing that typically happens when they do, it's called spreading yourself too thin. The Expendables is a great example of a ton of action stars in a mostly mediocre movie.

Don't get me wrong. Avengers will be at least mediocre. It won't be awful. There's a good chance that it won't be amazing, but I feel like with the cast, the amount of big name actors, the amount of shit they'd have to stuff into a 2-hour piece, it won't live up to peoples standards.

I really hope that isn't the case.

As for Batman, again, I really really really want the movie to be good. Christopher Nolan (IMO) has never directed a bad movie. The problem is exactly what bob said. Part 3's in trilogies often aren't as good, and Star Wars, Spider Man, and Godfather aren't the only ones.

Terminator, Alien, Matrix, Beverly Hills Cop, Blade, Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Jurassic Park, just to name a few.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
The next Silent Hill movie is also supposed to be released this year. For some reason I actually find myself interested in it. Not that it would be a faithful adaptation of SH3, or anything, just that I'd love to see if there is any hope for the series on the big screen.
I forgot about it. Silent Hill 2 and The Hobbit are the only ones i'm waiting for, i'll watch the others if the opportunity comes up.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
I knew I recognised that ship from the Prometheus trailer, its the Space Jockey from the Alien vs. Predator comics and the Alien movie. I also may have ruined Prometheus for myself by reading into it to much, damn my curiosity.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
HELL YES, SOMEONE ELSE (of importance) WHO CARES ABOUT WRECK-IT RALPH! :D

It's to be the 52nd movie in the Animated Disney Canon. Yeah, this will be a Disney movie. I hope that doesn't bother people too much...

I'm also looking forward to Andrew Stanton's John Carter. He made WALL-E, my all-time favorite movie, so I'm looking forward to what he'll do here.

Brave certainly LOOKS interesting, and it IS Pixar, so let's see how it goes...

All the other movies sound interesting enough to warrant a look. ESPECIALLY The Avengers!

My dad's sure to get excited about The Hobbit, since he reads Lord of the Rings, and likes the movies.

lol, no mention of The Dark Knight Rises. XP

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
+1 for not including The Dark Knight Rises.

But really Iron Sky with space nazi's? That indeed sounds awesome. I loved Inglorius Bastards so Taratino making another similar movie just gets me all pumped up.

Being a big Alien fan myself I have mixed opinions about Prometheus. I am intrested to see what Ridley Scott could add to the Alien universe. But then again it could also take some of the mystery away that made the original Alien so darn creepy. Atleast it will be better then those horrible AvP movies. They almost ruined not one but franchises with that crap. Thank god Ridley Scott has returned to sci-fi.

Still pretty disgusted with the Bin Laden movie, it would be the same as if an Bin Laden made a film about how great and heroic 9/11 was.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
I was surprised to see Wreck-It Ralph, but given you inclination towards retro gaming, I probably shouldn't have been. I'm personally interested, not just because of the premise and amazing cast (John C. Reilly, Jane Lynch, Sarah Silverman, and Jack McBrayer), but also because Disney Animation Studios work has really been on an upswing lately, but they've mostly just been treading old ground with princess films and Winnie the Pooh. Seeing as this is their fist real original film since Bolt, it could be a real indicator as to whether or not we're entering a second Disney Renaissance, in the wake of Eisner's ousting.

/cartoon nerd moment

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Totally called the Hobbit being #1.
Totaly looking forward to Brave too. I can't believe people who are "tired" of female leads. "Yeah, we did have that one movie, we're done with that thing now, let's get back to somethng original, how about a black cop with attitude teaming up with an old grumpy white cop. The twist: their differneces which at first drives them mad makes them appriciate a new point of view and they become binded for life"
Also really psyched about a new Tarantino movie, even though thus is the first I've heard of it. Didn't the Boondocks do an episode with an escaped slave as some sort of superhero.
And ofcourse the Avengers. Big Whedon fan and liked all of the other movies. I don't think the Marvel movies are the best movies ever, but they are actually making REAL superhero movies, transfering the comics to screen, silly lore and all. I'd gladly take 10 Thor for every Dark Knight (even though I really liked it).
Prometheus looks nice to, like both Fastbender and Rapaece so we have a good cast as well as director.
That Toy Story but with vidjagamz seems cool to.
Overall nice list, filled with what I expected plus a few things to watch out for.

Also, Space Nazis ô_Ô

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
aceman67 said:
Considering that my mother, while doing her Genealogy work and watching a Civil War Documentary, found out something rather disturbing: A branch of her family tree were White plantation owners in Georgia, who owned slaves, and were mostly killed off during the atrocities that happened during Sherman's march to the sea (all the dates and death records match up).

So I will be boycotting "Django Unchained" because, while I think slave owning is despicable (I really cant change what my ancestors did), I can't really support a movie that glorifies what the director sees as 'justified' killing (Big hint here folks, no killing is justified with the exception of child rapists and murderers, they can rot in hell) of fictionalized people who could very well be like members of my family. I like Teranteno's films, I loved Kill Bill, and Inglorious Basterds was awesome, but this is just too much.
You're boycotting a film becaue the main character kills slave owners? That's where you draw the line? Because I have to say, that's a messed up set of values.

Personally I'm mainly looking forward to Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers. I'll also try and see John Carter, Skyfall, Brave and Django Unchained. I'm also tentatively looking forward to Dredd and Chronicle, which look like they could be great but could easily be awful.

I'm really not getting the same hype as everyone else from the Hobbit I mean I love the book and all but I just don't see how a film translation of it could be particularly interesting, it's just not cinematic.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
So let's run through the list:

10. Wreck it Ralph. Seems interesting in a Scott Pilgram meets Toy Story. Gonna have to wait for more info though.

9. Iron Sky. And a lot of people think that Japan has a stranglehold on "bat s*** insane." Of course, this might explain why "History of the world pt 2" never saw the light of day. :p

8. John Carter. Ehh... Don't get me wrong, it seems like a good premise, but if it has a reason for not being touched before and production had had a large number of problems, I can't say I have hopes for it.

7. Brave. I always thought Rapunzel in Tangled did it first, unless you meant as a "primary goal of a hero" as opposed to "forced into the role reluctantly." Still, it's a Pixar flick and even their worst is head and shoulders above the competition.

6. Lincoln. Oh dear. I'm sorry, but big actors means big egos and this is supposed to be something that's a sort of docu-drama. I can't see it going it well. A pass on my plate.

5. Prometheus. About the only real twist I see is that it's supposed to be an Alien prequel. Everything else you said about it has been done before.

4. As said earlier in this thread, better suited as a documentary on discovery as opposed to a full length feature film.

3. Django Unchained. Now I know Tarantino is simply aiming for "lets get people screaming against this film" approach of film making. Yeah, let's bring the situation into the sunlight, but I'm not sure I want HIM doing it. Also see my stance on Number 9.

2. The Avengers. If they do it even nearly as well as their previous efforts, it promises to be a good summer blockbuster. Now if they push it away from the SBB period...

1. The Hobbit. This is Peter Jackson taking on Tolkien again. It would take an absolute insane level of apathy to screw this up.

Special. The new Batman film. I agree with the Meh. The hype surrounding it is the hope that The Dark Knight wasn't a "lighning in a bottle" scenario and I just don't see it happening again.

Anyways, that's my take on the list.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I think I'm probably one of the only people in the world who liked return of the jedi....

Interesting top 10. I wouldn't mind seeing the avengers, but I don't think I'm super psyched about any of these movies...

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Axolotl said:
You're boycotting a film becaue the main character kills slave owners? That's where you draw the line? Because I have to say, that's a messed up set of values.
I'm not seeing it because its a below the belt hit that's too close to home. Its not exactly a nice thing to find out that your family played a part in a dark chapter in human history, its an ENTIRELY different thing all together to go see a movie that shows the killing of people that could be my ancestors.

Its like asking a Japanese WWII veteran if he wants to go see 'Pearl Harbor' or 'Wind Talkers'. You just don't do that.

Its not messed up values, its called 'not seeing a movie for personal reasons'.