The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
return of the Jedi as part of your third movie curse? The fuck? I'm sorry, but I liked that better than anything else from the original trilogy. To claim it got hit with said curse is just... wrong. Spiderman 3? Yes. X-Men United? Yes. Alien3? Yes. Jurassic Park? God yes.

But return of the Jedi? The only thing that sucked was the Ewoks, and I was willing to overlook them and enjoy the closing chapter to an epic story. Hell, I'll take Ewoks over Jar Jar any day.

OT: After hearing about some of these films for the first time, I'm on board with most of these. 2012 looks to be a good year.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
lastoflancas said:
Though, I think it should be mentioned that the title "First Avenger" was used instead of "Captain America" in most international releases (to avoid sales loss, I am sure).
umm...No? It was only called "The First Avenger" in three countries.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks Django Unchained sounds a lot like "The Story of Catcher Freeman" from The Boondocks?

Madshadow

Mar 10, 2011
Is prometheus gonna be Pg13? then it probably will dissapoint :( or atleast be enteraining in a profitable way?

Or is the rating of this movie already known?

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
aceman67 said:
Axolotl said:
You're boycotting a film becaue the main character kills slave owners? That's where you draw the line? Because I have to say, that's a messed up set of values.
I'm not seeing it because its a below the belt hit that's too close to home. Its not exactly a nice thing to find out that your family played a part in a dark chapter in human history, its an ENTIRELY different thing all together to go see a movie that shows the killing of people that could be my ancestors.

Its like asking a Japanese WWII veteran if he wants to go see 'Pearl Harbor' or 'Wind Talkers'. You just don't do that.

Its not messed up values, its called 'not seeing a movie for personal reasons'.
I can almost see that being the whole joke of the movie: Trying to turn the audience into the one from Inglourious Basterds while viewing "Nations Pride."

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
Django Unchained sounds pure awesome. Tarentino is just about the only guy I'd think has any chance of making a movie like that, and the casting sounds pretty good. especially Decaprio as the guy you just know is going to die horribly.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
mronoc said:
...Disney Animation Studios work has really been on an upswing lately, but they've mostly just been treading old ground with princess films and Winnie the Pooh. Seeing as this is their fist real original film since Bolt, it could be a real indicator as to whether or not we're entering a second Disney Renaissance, in the wake of Eisner's ousting.
I think the advent of John Lasseter has been a huge boon for the quality of the Disney brand in recent years. I know this is not considered "original" in the vein of Bolt, but did you catch Tangled? While it is the classic Rapunzel tale after a fashion, it also kind of subverts the traditional fairy tale a la Shrek, and the title Tangled was meant to reflect that change in perspective and the enhanced role of Flynn Ryder. As a film it works, and is entertaining for all, and more to the point, was a huge leap forward for (non-Pixar) Disney CGI work. The effect is subtle, since the best special effects are the ones you don't see, but they spent $260million on this film to make it look like a CGI rendition of their original watercolor style animation. So story aside, the film just LOOKS beautiful.

The Plunk said:
"A tomboy princess who'd rather be a warrior than a wife."

"A group of scientists discover something horrifying while investigating alien ruins"
WOAH! Let's not go crazy now! This much originality is making my head spin!
For you, may I recommend the 2008 French animated feature Dragon Hunters. It's tough to find in the States apart from Netflix but I thought this film was charming and creative, with some stunning visual design. Not the kind of thing you see in standard American fare, particularly in the animated realm.

For Bob, I would not dare to dispute the genius that Daniel Day-Lewis must by default be as Abraham Lincoln. That said, another guy who was no slouch as Abe was Lance Henriksen in the TV movie The Day Lincoln was Shot. That guy was fun to watch. At any rate, as interested as I might be in a Spielberg film about Lincoln, I'm more excited about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Also, lest we be lured in by the promising premise of Space Nazis on the moon, may I remind you all how tantalizing was the premise for Cowboys vs. Aliens.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I was REEEEALLY looking forward to Brave... until I saw the full trailer.

I have no problem with a tough female main character, and I like how she's designed, but surprise! surprise! It's another typical "You're a girl! You can't do that! You go to kitchen now and make babies like real girl!" story AND they made her the cliche sarcastic woman character that constantly rolls her eyes at the dumb antics of the male characters around her and doles out smart-ass comments.

Oh boy, I've not seen THAT sort of thing since last night's rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond. Way to get even lazier, Pixar. First movie with a female lead, and they went with the easiest kind of story for it, one that's been done to death, and they didn't seem to want to do the extra thinking required to make a script that doesn't make a female character's gender her identity and that doesn't make her out to be a victim because of her gender. I am disappoint. What's next, A team of young black folks being given a hard time because of their race before triumphantly rubbing success in their antagonists' face?

Lets get down to biz-NESS, to defeat... the bears!

deadagain33

Jun 11, 2009
Nice list bob, agree with most of your choices although killing bin laden... meh id even go to replace it with something silly like the dictator. To me, that oscar winning bomb defusing movie (the hurt locker) was lame compared to its praise. Terrence Mallick flick im looking forward too. THE HOBBIT by far the reason im living life. Theres so much im anticipating (even like, the next scary movie or MIB3) but only some I think will be "good" opposed to "entertaining popcorn cinema" (Which I suspect The avengers will be... you never know though. If the cards are played right..."

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
In all honesty I washed my hands of the Avengers the second Iron Man 2 was revealed to be a MASSIVE disappointment. I also guarantee that if the Avengers doesn't do as well as people were hoping Joss Whedon will have another of his infamous tantrums and start pointing fingers at everyone he can so he doesn't have to take any criticism. TDKR on the other hand I just don't HAVE to worry about since it's Nolan at the helm. Get over it, Bob, he's the new Spielberg and HIS style of superhero movies are what people are going to remember for years to come.

As for everything else, I look forward to Prometheus, Brave, and Django Unchained.

Apr 17, 2009
Never heard of that Django Unchained one, though it looks like the usual tosh Tarantino belches out these days. Whats the point in making a black empowerment film if his mentor is white?

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
Decent list MovieBob, although there is one I would add to the list and only one.

Most Anticipated Movies of 2012.

Whatever the hell Movie the creators of Doraleous and Associates were suppose to be working on, can't wait to not see it.

Then they plan to return to the Escapist with new episodes.

Sadly, Doraleous and Associates is done. It was originally designed to be a TV show. The creators shopped it around it was never picked up. So the voice actors have moved on to other projects, at least that's the info I can find.

Although I wish the Escapist would be a little more forth coming with what happened. Maybe Movie Bob can do a clip on what happened. "When good ideas go to shit"

Oh and if Daniel Day Lewis said in his next movie he was going to play the part of the entire New York Skyline, I'd say "Yup he can do it". He's the one actor I could be at ease with playing both Batman and the Joker in the same movie.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I loved this! Not only do I get to see what movies come out next year, but the ones I will probably like! Thanks Bob.

On a side note, why did you include Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi on your "Third Movie Disaster" example list? I thought everyone LOVED all three of the original trilogy. Am I missing something here?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
When I read the "you might be surprised what's not on there" subtitle, I thought the "not on there" film has going to be The Hobbit. TDKR never crossed my mind either.

I also forgot about Brave...pity, as it rather neat that Pixar is making a film set in my home country, even if it is animated and set in the 10th century. Come to think of it, it's probably better that way...:)

Of the films I've heard of already, I've got to agree, already looking forward to Prometheus, The Hobbit & The Avengers. I'm liking the idea of the "Videogame Toy Story" movie - here's hoping for some decent sendups of recognisable video game characters.

As an aside, Thor was a better movie than Captain America though....in my opinion.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Good List. I didn't know about 2 or 3 of those movies, but are now excited about them :)

However
Return of the Jedi wasn't "underwhelming"
and
BANE DIDN'T SUCK IN THE COMICS

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Good List. I didn't know about 2 or 3 of those movies, but are now excited about them :)

However
Return of the Jedi wasn't "underwhelming"
and
BANE DIDN'T SUCK IN THE COMICS