The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Rblade said:
the freaking hobbit. I literally can't wait.

It had better be as awesome as it should be :)
I agree the first trailer I saw gave chills. I bet I've listened to the dwarves singing part of the trailer 50 times by now.

O.T: Maybe I'm just squeemish, but the Tarantino movie kinda gave me a no feeling. There's something about a modern day blaxploitation movie that feels kinda crass to me.

Aug 1, 2010
Loved this except for one thing.

Did you just compare Return of the Fucking Jedi to Godfather 3 and Spiderman 3???
There is so much [i/]wrong[/i] in that that I am left speechless.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
*runs around waving a pitchfork in angry fangirlfashion*

no this is not about the batman movie rather that you failed to even mention my most anticapited movie of 2012 The Secret World of Arrietty

*goes back on angry rampage*

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
chetoos said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Huh when I first saw the promos for Star Wreck (on this website no less) I actually thought it was an RTS.

Daniel Day Louis as Abraham Lincoln + WIN!

Avenger's Movie plot: Its a Skrull invasion
Regarding the Avengers plot, I have to disagree with you on the alien race they're using. While it's true that the Skrull could be candidates for the secret big villain, I am hedging my bets more on the Kree, for 3 reasons: One: The Skrull shapeshift, making them more suited to a suspense piece like the Thing, while the Kree are pretty normal looking, maybe a bit like the Jotuns in terms of effects, but nothing major, and they don't shapeshift. Therefore, for their first outing, I doubt they'll go for suspense, they're going more for major action, therefore Kree.
Reason 2: Captain Mar-Vell
Reason 3: Ms. Marvel.
Actually I was going by the fight between Captain America and Thor that they showed for that brief moment in the trailer. I can think of maybe a ruffle over authority, but there is no real conflict between them as characters. Would be more likely to occur If they thought one of them was an undercover agent.
Ah, ok. I can see your train of thought on that, but I believe I have another possible explanation for the fight, 2 now that I think about it:
One: Thor may view Midgardians as inferior to Aesir, and doesn't want to work together as a team, which is what Cap is all about, arguments turn to shouting, shouting turns to hammer against shield
Two, the one I just thought up that probably isn't true: Thor is using Caps unbreakable shield to generate a huge amount of lightning.
Also, the city shots point to a bunch of guys in the sky firing down at the streets, and, as I said before, the Skrull are more "Infiltrate, make them question who their friends are" guys, not "Blow up cities" guys. Just my 2 cents

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
nice, some of them im really interested to see. looking forward to the alien prequel (forgot the title already) and the lincoln movie and some others which might be interesting to watch.
but im still looking forward for the batman movie. im pretty sure it will be good and worth watching. even when the joker is missing.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
Wow, I must live under a rock because I haven't heard of half of the movies on this list (only heard of Wreck-It Ralph and John Carter and anticipate the top 2 movies). Prometheus and Wreck-It Ralph look pretty good. Also, I figured the top 2 spots would be "The Hobbit" and "the Avengers", I just couldn't figure out what order they'd be. I'm pretty psyched for both of those films and the Hunger Games.

I was completely expecting "The Dark Knight Rises" to be the movie that I was supposed to be surprised wasn't on the list. I read the line under the video before watching it and literally went "Oh boy, here it comes. Let's hear the problems with Dark Knight Rises". It obviously won't live up to the Dark Knight to most people because they refuse to give it a chance to. Although I have to admit that Catwoman's costume looks very, I guess "basic" would be the best word and Bane's looks a little silly. And was that "cry-baby hissyfit" bit really necessary? It just sounds like baiting people.

Anyway, I am expecting the Avengers movie to not live up to my (or anyone's) expectations. Oh, it will be awesome, but not nearly as awesome as we are all hoping. (There are just too many things I like about that movie for it to all work out.)

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
You put the hobbit before the avengers movie, and in first place no less. I was a little worried there for a sec when the avengers came up.

Slightly surprised but very happy. And I do admit, about half those movies I haven't even heard of until now.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The sad thing about the slavery story is that most people forget that when we're talking the 'worst depictions of slavery' we do mean the worst. A lot of these things weren't nearly as common as people think they were, and more people would know this if they bothered studying the pre-civil war era a bit more.

I'm not saying slavery wasn't terrible, because slavery was terrible, but most slave owners weren't evil plantation owners, and most slaves were actually fairly well taken care of and given chances to take care of themselves.

EDIT: As to the list, those are several films I haven't even heard of but am now interested in seeing.

FUCK YEAH, THE HOBBIT COMES OUT TOMORROW (by this I mean this year, which is close enough to tomorrow, right? <3)?!

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
I personally am dreading the release of the Hobbit. All I?ve seen so far is the trailer, but all the dark and dramatic imagery, references to the previous films and the fact that it?s being dividing into two movies leaves me worried. Not to be all gloom and doom, I just want the movie has the same fun and lighthearted but ultimately moving tone of the book.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Heh. Brave seems kind of. Odd. It doesn't feel like a pixar movie. Doesn't look like one either. I don't know what to think.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Whats this money bin?

Ah, you mean our politicians urinal.

Swifteye said:
Heh. Brave seems kind of. Odd. It doesn't feel like a pixar movie. Doesn't look like one either. I don't know what to think.
It looks like a Dreamworks movie.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Dana22 said:
And Finland sided with Nazis in the war against Soviets, so yeah...
In defense of Finland, the Soviet Union started it, and they only ever fought the Soviets. Besides that they were just friends with the Nazi's because they had food. No Jews were persecuted or non-Soviet soldiers attacked.

trust Milo

May 23, 2009
I think you're forgetting the other Lincoln movie, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Directed by Timur Bekmambetov and produced by Tim Burton. This might just kick Spielberg?s ass.

ADD: Finally watched that movie. Made me sad. How could I have written something like this? The book was entertaining and the movie was nothing like it. Story or violence.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
xdom125x said:
Wow, I must live under a rock because I haven't heard of half of the movies on this list (only heard of Wreck-It Ralph and John Carter and anticipate the top 2 movies). Prometheus and Wreck-It Ralph look pretty good.
lol, dont worry. you think i knew all of them he just named?? no. i knew about the avengers and the hobbit movie and thats pretty much it.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
i wouldn't really say that Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow was "underrated" so much as "terrible to the point that it induces projectile vomit".

umbraticus

May 4, 2011
i was only aware of the existence of 2 movies in that list and, man, i want to see all of them now! they're all looking like fantastic movies, i want to watch all of them... now!
let me just write that list down...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
05:28 - "Now don't go into a crybaby hissy fit about it" - Ok I won't *shrugs* was anyone particularily bothered when he said this?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Bane as he is in the comics in more detail Bob, specifically what was bad about the character in Knightfall, if anything about the character was done right and whether your opinion of the character has improved with more recent comics, such as Gail Simone's take on the character in Secret Six.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Stephen Spielburg goes off to make a movie about Good ol honest Abe?

... I'll say it now, there will be aliens.
Why? Because he does it to nearly all his movies. (Ill just refer to indiana jones and you'll know what I mean.)