The Big Picture: Mystery Bonks

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Chaos999 said:
I already saw it
It?s an action movie with a few references to the original Khan movie. For me that?s not Star Trek. Don?t misunderstand it?s a good action movie. But if you a fan of the franchise then this doesn?t work.
My thoughts exactly for the previous one aswell.

I don't think it is a problem, but the way it is. I don't except TNG Ship in a Bottle/Tapestry like brilliance from a summer blockbuster.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Caffeine_Bombed said:
You know the type of twist that always gets me?

"I am Talia Al Ghul!"

*GASP* No shit...
You're the daughter no one but fanboys mentioned? From this ethereal place we call comic books? What now?

I mean I already knew you were up to no good, but who are you again?

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
I whole heatedly agree, I didn't watch your Iron Man 3 video to avoid spoilers and i was blown away by all the surprises, and i can't say that those being advertised would have made me want to see the movie more, it's the Avengers, i'm going to watch it. The surprises just made me like the movie that much more.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
synobal said:
Am I the only one who didn't like the first Star Trek movie they released?
No you are not, I can't stand his "Star Trek" I saw it for the crap that it was. A movie that had the franchise title and familiar character names to lure in the fans, but in reality he was really just looking to make a box office action flick that was only built on action to get the everyday ADD kiddies and adults into the seats, because without them he would have only made a modest amount of money through the viewership of actual Star Trek fans if he had truly made it for them mainly with the proper Star Trek structure.

He saw "Ka-ching", pure action with no substance = bringing in the general unimaginative slobbering audience, instead of what he should have seen:

A grand franchise that he should be honored to make an installment for, where he would gain great creditability as a director with many many people if he just made a properly balanced movie that had action, but was all driven by plot, and actually giving the known characters proper characterization and not making them characters that are practically cut-out caricatures of the established characters they represented.

But hey, it's all good, he set his new take on the franchise in an alternate universe. Blah blah blah! But of course people, if you don't already know, that excuse doesn't work, because while the plot was extremely thin, they stupidly linked the insane universe to the proper canon one. Also, the way the new universe is setup, is also much like a comparison to how alternate universes work in Futurama. The canon universe is the proper one where things are rather stable in that there is diversity of styles(people, technology, etc), while the New "Star Trek" uinverse is basically the equivalent of the universe where everybody is a hippie.

I mean look at it, everything is an extreme. The New "Star Trek" is action action action that covers up the plot, the weapons systems are to the max overdone to where when they go off, they look like they are more advanced and powerful compared to anything that might come after Picard's era, and the whole cast for the crew is preposterously young, instead of being diverse in age like all other crews have been.

AldUK said:
Went to see ST: Into Darkness on the weekend it came out here in England. Absolutely loved every minute of it, it's just as good as the first film, which was also brilliant. I really don't understand the prevailing attitude around here of everybody putting their noses up at Abrams while snickering; "heh... lense flare man..."

It's not the Star Trek from the 60s, it's a complete re-imagining of the setting and as far as sci-fi action moves go, you'd be hard pressed to find more excitement crammed into 120 minutes. Wonderful acting from a perfectly cast set of actors and amazing special effects. Great fun and I'll be watching it again before its showing is done.
The lens flare thing is a shallow dig, and I admit I do it(thought it is a valid criticism point on his actual style).

I think what makes a lot of people(the vast majority of Star Trek fans) like me angry is that it shouldn't have been a complete re-imagining, at least not one if they were going to give the movie the franchise name.

A proper complete re-imaging is when you take a lot of ideas from an established franchise and make them a part of your new franchise that has nothing to do with the franchise you took them from. It's not taking the franchise name and character names and making stupidly placed references, and saying "alternate universe".

And seriously, the actors must do a 180 degree turn in the latest "new" one, because the acting in the first New "Star Trek" was bland as hell, but really how can actors act when the vast majority of the scenes they are in, they are running or jumping to avoid explosions or creatures or holding on to not fall.

If the latest movie is somehow different compared to the first "new" one, the trailers haven't done it justice, because it looks like more schlock of the same caliber, and I'm definitely not giving Abrams and anybody involved money to support the crap.
Pretty much how I saw it. Shallow, unimaginative.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Of course I like surprises, but the problem is it gets harder and harder to do. The more movies, books, and games you play the more difficult it is to be shocked. To be honest it's all been done. Even when I do see something new or interesting I usually equate the various factors/traits; "It's like God of War meets, Mario Kart" or something like that. Half the time they have to telegraph their twist. You completely surprise people anymore. If it gets confusing people won't really enjoy it. Have you ever told a witty joke and no one laughs? They can't risk it, so they throw some slow underhand pitches to keep the audience. If it's too subtle they take the time to do flashbacks. Just the way it goes.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
jmarquiso said:
Caffeine_Bombed said:

"I am Talia Al Ghul!"

*GASP* No shit...
You're the daughter no one but fanboys mentioned? From this ethereal place we call comic books? What now?

Not sure if sarcastic or flirting... ¬_¬

Wait...

You know what I mean though? When everyone says "My money's on X being this character" and the actors are like "No, no, no! Don't be obsurd!" in every interview, but they totally are.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Caffeine_Bombed said:
jmarquiso said:
Caffeine_Bombed said:

"I am Talia Al Ghul!"

*GASP* No shit...

Wait...

You know what I mean though? When everyone says "My money's on X being this character" and the actors are like "No, no, no! Don't be obsurd!" in every interview, but they totally are.
My money's on the guy everyone's calling Luke Cage in the SHIELD series being Patriot.

Anyway the point is that there is no narrative buildup to that reveal. No reason why we should care. Nothing about the league of shadows and the like.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
I saw star trek. Yeah, pretty much mystery box why.... I can't say much about it without it being painfully obvious WHAT IT IS.

I was surprised however, when between when I bought my tickets and when I saw it in the cinemas, they had actually scheduled more showings. Could have saved so much money on tickets (seeing it in 3d) going to the second class option for 3d viewing rather than the first class ones, which were the only showings available in 3d when I got the tickets. :( Maybe they would have scheduled it like that if there had been some reviews before release. That kind of ticks me off.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
notimeforlulz said:
I saw star trek. Yeah, pretty much mystery box why.... I can't say much about it without it being painfully obvious WHAT IT IS.

I was surprised however, when between when I bought my tickets and when I saw it in the cinemas, they had actually scheduled more showings. Could have saved so much money on tickets (seeing it in 3d) going to the second class option for 3d viewing rather than the first class ones, which were the only showings available in 3d when I got the tickets. :( Maybe they would have scheduled it like that if there had been some reviews before release. That kind of ticks me off.
jmarquiso said:
Caffeine_Bombed said:
jmarquiso said:
Caffeine_Bombed said:

"I am Talia Al Ghul!"

*GASP* No shit...

Wait...

My money's on the guy everyone's calling Luke Cage in the SHIELD series being Patriot.

Anyway the point is that there is no narrative buildup to that reveal. No reason why we should care. Nothing about the league of shadows and the like.
Exactly. It's like the regular movie-goer is just having this random villain thrown at them for the last 5 freaking minutes and it basically does nothing for the film.
Whereas most comic fans, upon hearing about a new female AND a Liam Neeson cameo were like "It's probably Talia...Oh look, it was Talia."

For S.H.I.E.L.D I have been thinking Luke Cage too, simply because it's a character they've wanted to introduce for a while, but Patriot would be a great addition also.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
I really feel like Abrams' work is rather clumsy... and his marketing is effective, but negatively effects the movie and the experience, the implications of such are that he's less an artist and more interested in the cashflow. That's not a bad thing in itself, but, ya know, to make money at the loss of function is kinda shit.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
This is the internet version of JJ Abrams' mystery box:

Bob is right, filmmakers or marketing for films shouldn't give disclaimers that there's a big twist that now you'll be waiting for. Play it as straight as possible.

The very last minute of Waltz with Bashir floored me with emotions because I wasn't expecting it to
transition into live action
, but it was perfect.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
With all of the twists happening in movies and television, it just leads me to expect twists and not really enjoy the movie.
I'm just aching for some good ol' fashioned stories with little or no twists. Hell, even some twists that make sense would be welcome, like in Iron Man 3 or Oz the Great and Powerful.