The Big Picture: Mystery Science Theater 3000

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Also FYI there are some episodes on Netflix Instant but the only one I have seen wasnt particularly good. may be a lack of affinity for the commentators though.

Gonna be checking some more out ASAP

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Excellent recap of the series, Bob!
Also, you can find a few full episodes on Hulu.com, you just have to sit through the occasional ad.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Me and Bob dont agree on many things, this IS NOT one of them. Love MST3K, and loved the vid. Props man.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Heh I actually think the MST3K actually the forefather of a lot of thing on the internet (at least in the english sphere)

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Blast Hardcheese!
Punch Rockgroin!
Slab Bulkhead!
Dirk Hardpeck!
Buff Hardback!
Crunch Busttsteak!
Big McLargehuge!
Roll Fizzlebeef!

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
That was a nice blast from the past. I was too young to really remember most of that stuff when it came out, but I remember thinking it was funny.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
crotalidian said:
Also FYI there are some episodes on Netflix Instant but the only one I have seen wasnt particularly good. may be a lack of affinity for the commentators though.

Gonna be checking some more out ASAP
The only one I saw on there was Final Sacrifice, which is HILARIOUS!

To everyone else: If you've never seen the show, please give it a shot. It's incredibly funny but a few of the movies they show are truly painful to watch (or they just don't make good or frequent enough jokes) so hopefully the first one you see won't be a doosy.
I recommend:
Prince of Space
Time Chasers
Space Mutiny
Merlin's Shop

Or just try out rifftrax.com
My friends and I just watched The Room with rifftrax commentary this weekend. WE CAN'T STOP REFERECNING IT! It was truly side-splitting stuff.

Just be careful, watch enough of this stuff and you'll become a riffer yourself and have a hard time shutting up during a movie :)

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Still remember the classic MST3K treatment of Cave Dwellers, especially when the hero and his sidekick get into a fight with "invisible" enemies:

"They couldn't even afford to hire villains?"

"Hey! Pick on someone of your own opacity!"

It's still tonnes of fun to get a bunch of your geek friends around, watch a bad movie and MST3K it.

nuqneh1

Aug 15, 2010
My favourite show is MST3K too. It's probably one of the only shows that has tickled my sense of humor so much i've stopped breathing.

My mom doesn't like it though. She says it's too snarky.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
I never liked this show. I just didn't get the humour. I guess its cos I'm not American, but everyone says it uses quite British humour, so I probably should find it funny. It just never clicked with me for some reason.
W/e...

sesquipedality

Jul 7, 2010
The world has come to a sad state when there's an entire generation of geeks so unfamiliar with MST3K that they need MovieBob to explain it to them.

Most of the episodes didn't even air in my country due to the aforementioned movie rights issues. This is a great sadness to me.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Yeah this was one of the highlights of my weekends growing up, when it was on Comedy Central and then Si-fi channel. This was an early source for my sense of humor and also introduced me to Gamera as well as several other obscure Japanese film.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Nightfalke said:
Blast Hardcheese!
Punch Rockgroin!
Slab Bulkhead!
Dirk Hardpeck!
Buff Hardback!
Crunch Busttsteak!
Big McLargehuge!
Roll Fizzlebeef!
Bolt Vanderhuge!
Flint Ironstag!
Thick McRunFast!
Trunk Slamchest!
Pete Punchbeef!
Pack Blowfist!
Rip Steakface!

I could go all day.

Incidentally, many (dozens, I say, dozens!) are available on Netflix instant view and all of them that have been released on DVD are available through Netflix.

Also, the best line from MST3K: MORE BUTTER FOR MY HAM!

Oh, and Gristle McThornBody!
Slake Fistcrunch!
Bob Johnson!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
"HE TRIED TO KILL ME WITH THE FORKLIFT!"

Gypsy ate a demon dog, and I saw it.

Hey guys, rub a dub dub, three men in a tub, am I right?

By the way, if the Cinematic Titanic crew ever come to your town, PAY THEM ANYTHING THEY WANT. They deserve all your filthy lucre, and maybe a little currency, to boot.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I missed out on most of MST3K when it was actually running, I didn't actually find it until they were half-way through season 9. But my love of B-movies secured the Bots in my heart for years to come. I've not actually seen any of the Cinematic Titanics yet (last time I checked, they had only made one, I don't know if there's been any others yet). But Rifftrax has been pretty good so far. I agree though, it's not quite "the same" as the good ol' days.