The Big Picture: Mystery Science Theater 3000

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I know you said this was your favorite show in the FAQ, but I let it slide.

Now that you've devoted an entire show to it, I've gotta say that I respect your opinion a lot less now. This is easily the most overrated show in the history of television, and it has been a major contributor to the "I'm artsy because I shit on other people's art" movement in the U.S. The IABISOOPA movement is, as we all know, the most annoying cultural shift since the initiation of the gradual eradication of scripted television in favor of reality diarrhea.

That show is cynicism, refined and purified until it crystallizes into the most dark-hearted, annoying medium imaginable, and knowing that you respect it THIS MUCH may steer me away from any of your future episodes.

When I was in high school, they didn't have the comedy channel on the cable offered in my region, but my girlfriend lived in the county over and she taped it (yes, taped, as in VHS) and tried to make me watch it. That was a huge part of us breaking up, because I found it to be absolutely unbearable. An hour or two of awfulness endured for 2 or 3 actually funny jokes. (Me: "Hey, I've got that Kubrick flick neither of us have ever seen!" Her: Nah, let's watch MST3K, smoke a bunch of pot, and listen to Beck!" Me: "Got any arsenic?") This brings up bad memories of a relationship ended over an incredibly stupid show. You have made me sad today, Bob. Very sad, indeed.

For the record: The first "new show" I fell in love with that wasn't trying to sell me something? "Fraggle Rock". Grow a heart, Bob.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Ah...love this episode. I actually did some MiSTing a while back and had my MiSTs online.

Before some douchebag hacked nFiction that is... *grumble*

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
Michael J. Nelson all the way, no doubt about it.

Anyone interested in checking out the series, there are free 'best of' videos on youtube. I recommend:
Space Mutiny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cOwnCnRYJU

Pumaman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osJpCWaFtWE

They also uploaded the full episodes.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
manythings said:
This is why I hate America, you bastards keep all the shittiest stuff you make and burn alll the good stuff. Seriously what in Christ's name are you people thinking?
It's weird how it works. If they wanted to re-release the entire series, there's so much paperwork that has to be done, the amount of money charged to do it probably won't make it worth enough to do it all.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
To those new to the show here's a list of some of my favorites

Final Sacrifice
Space Mutiny
Prince of Space
SEASON 7 (All of it)
Mitchell
Werewolf "Eh, I'd take a walk" OVER TO KIRK DOUGLAS' HOUSE!
Gamera series
Godzilla vs Megalon
Zombie Nightmare

and so many more...

tartcartpas1

Jun 17, 2010
Love MST3K! Love it so much I have an MST3K tattoo. You forgot magic voice though im not sure she counts as a robot.

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
I recently watched The Last Airbender movie w/ a friend of mine who insisted it was good. The only way I could make it thru that movie was giving it the MST3K treatment.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Nice to get an insight on your favorite show.

One of those actors look like one of the creepies from Dexter! O= Now I'mma have to Wiki it up. lol

Just Craig

May 21, 2010
There's one reason the new shows by these amazing geniuses will never match the original MST3k:
They don't have puppets.

Having said that, I fully agree with everything you said in this episode, Bob.

"Push the button, Frank."

Uberfriendship

Oct 26, 2010
As a kid, I watched THE MOVIE quite a few times, then finally got to see some of the series when the DVDs showed up at the library. Had a great time with 'I Accuse My Parents', 'Eegah', 'Mitchell', and 'THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE'. But the one film they just couldn't save, RED ZONE CUBA. That was PAINFUL.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I owe them so much for introducing me to Manos: Hands of Fate. That movie gave me the perfect fodder with which to torment my friends on movie night, along with the Star Wars Holiday Special. I'd say my favorite episodes were Final Sacrifice, Manos, and Puma Man. Cave Dwellers was awesome too.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
This was like rereading the liner notes of my "Amazing Colossal Episode Guide" (that only covers the Comedy Central years, sadly). Sorry for those who don't like the show, but a lot of people really consider it a watershed creation. Me included.

I'll throw a shoutout here to "Danger: Death Ray!" Not sure if it's one of the handful on Netflix, but in the opinion of my wife and I, one of MST's best works.

Be sure to note the theme music, whose lyrics are (really!) nothing more than a bunch of people singing "ba-ba-ba-ba-da-da". Tom Servo has a field day with it.

Abe Lincoln is Time Cop!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Must admit that I too was dissappointed in not being able to find much of this show on moving picture disks. First saw the movie veeeeeeery late one night after not being able to sleep, but it had me in stitches for the most part. Really broke up the shittyness of "This island earth" perfectly