The Big Picture: Mystery Science Theater 3000

MeTheMe

Jun 13, 2008
I'm surprised you and no one else on the thread has mentioned the LRR crew's hit Unskippable, as they do pretty much the same thing, but with video game cut scenes. Of course, one of the reasons I love Unskippable so much is because I miss MST3000. One of the first shows me, my brothers, and my dad could all sit down and watch together. One the greatest things TV has ever shown me.

"They took out the Hitler Building!"

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I haven't seen much of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but what I HAVE seen is really funny! Also, I use the term "riffing" whenever I refer to making fun of a movie while watching it. It's really fun, I like doing it with my friends.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
This is one of my favorite shows of all time. Me and my dad would sit down and watch every new episode. I still love it just wish they would get the rights to bring out a bunch more on DVD. There are so many great episodes.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Really was the best show ever. Used to look forward to watching it every saturday morning on SciFi. I miss it.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Mystery Science Theater 3000 is my absolute favorite show. Thank you so much for making this episode, Bob! You're right -- it is hard to explain the appeal to someone who has never seen it. Even so, you did a fantastic job; this episode is a perfect way to introduce someone to the series. I will definitely be referring my friends to it. Well done!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I checked out some of the RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic stuff. It made me want to grab the cast, shake them and yell, "You're all just making half-assed MST3K! Why don't you just get back together and make the real thing again?!"

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Caligulove said:
One more reason to love Minneapolis :D
my home town.
MPLS represent! haha

I like how quite a few jokes on the show very subtly reference Minnesota.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
MST3K is a great show, and if you have never seen it you should go and fix that now. Like RIGHT NOW.

Related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z--Ebqna1GM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KyKdM-4uZw&feature=related

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
Nightfalke said:
Blast Hardcheese!
Punch Rockgroin!
Slab Bulkhead!
Dirk Hardpeck!
Buff Hardback!
Crunch Busttsteak!
Big McLargehuge!
Roll Fizzlebeef!
Bob Johnson...oh wait...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I loooooooove MST3K. I was first introduced to it when I was shown the feature film back in High School and I loved it so much that I had to seek out the episodes. Mike, Joel, it doesn't matter, they're always hilarious.
I loved the one with the parallel universe where for the first 3rd of the episode you had evil Mike forcing Dr. Forester and Frank to watch the movie.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
bojac6 said:
Nightfalke said:
Blast Hardcheese!
Punch Rockgroin!
Slab Bulkhead!
Dirk Hardpeck!
Buff Hardback!
Crunch Busttsteak!
Big McLargehuge!
Roll Fizzlebeef!
Bolt Vanderhuge!
Flint Ironstag!
Thick McRunFast!
Trunk Slamchest!
Pete Punchbeef!
Pack Blowfist!
Rip Steakface!

I could go all day.

Incidentally, many (dozens, I say, dozens!) are available on Netflix instant view and all of them that have been released on DVD are available through Netflix.

Also, the best line from MST3K: MORE BUTTER FOR MY HAM!

Oh, and Gristle McThornBody!
Slake Fistcrunch!
Bob Johnson!
I can't be the only one that favors the name of my future first-born, were such a thing to happen: Smoke ManMuscle

It cheers me that any MST3K thread on this site gets a lot of posts and and a lot of love.

Edit - to the non-Americans out there: much of the MST3K humor is US-based references so it makes sense you might miss some of it. Try concentrating on the characters and the wackiness they get up to. You'll soon be loving them along with us. Feel free to ask any of us to explain a reference. We're here for you. Hmm, should I start a MST3K Reference Explanation Service Thread?

dehboy

Dec 21, 2009
Not-So-Anon Delivers! For those of you at work who can't watch on youtube, a company posted MANY full length episodes on google video!

http://www.google.com/#q=mst3k&hl=en&tbs=vid:1,srcf:H4sIAAAAAAAAAKvMLy0pTUrVS87PVdNOz89Pz4GwUxIzcypz80sy8_1PA_1LLU_1AwwIyknMy-7LDMFzMlNLUlMTkyDaAEAQKHh-0sAAAA&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=qMdaTdG-B8rAgQe99Y28DA&ved=0CB4QpwUoAg&fp=3632c40c682c9e1c

Favorites:
Soul Taker
Space Mutiny
The Final Sacrifice
Future War
Hobgoblins
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
MST3K RULES!

My family and I still watch these every couple of week-ends or so. My kids are too young to have watched most of the original run, but now we get them over Netflix. And I love RiffTrax. Not quite the same, I'll admit, but still enjoyable. (There was NO way we were gonna sit through Twilight without the aid of RiffTrax.)

I especially loved the shorts. They did an awesome job with those, and still do.

"NOOOO Springs! Heh heh!"
"I love you, Coily."

And did anyone ever figure out just what sex Mr. B Natural was supposed to be?

~Cheers!

pearsmb06

Nov 11, 2009
First of all, is there any nerd who DIDN'T know about MST3K? I don't think you needed to spend an entire episode telling people about it.

Also the show is not very funny. The thing about feature length movies is that, even for truly ridiculous movies, there is a lot of down time where nothing ridiculous is happening. It's pretty hard to make someone walking down a hallway funny the first time, let alone the 33rd. Even the funny parts are usually funnier just on their own without assistance. I know what I'm seeing is ridiculous, I don't need them to tell me. The few episodes I've watched have each given me a few good chuckles but the doesn't rally justify the 2 HOURS it takes to watch one of these things. Still, it was a good idea and I think the show would have been better served if they just made fun of specific portions of films rather than trying to write comedy for the whole thing, unfunny parts and all.

Also, the I blame the show for creating that-asshole-who-thinks-he's-funny-and-keeps-shouting-unfunny-stuff-during-the-movie that's always there at every group screening I ever attend.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
dehboy said:
snip --

Favorites:
Soul Taker
I know I'll get the quote wrong, but it's a beauty so I'm gonna paraphrase: "there's no death with dignity when there's an Estevez in the room"

micky

Apr 27, 2009
also a part of my childhood next to nickalodean. favorite has to be final justice so funny!