The Big Picture: Nerd Gods

Proarcher

Jan 24, 2010
Interestingly put on the whole affair Bob; made me realise that I've been agnostic my entire life without really putting a label on my beliefs. Which is rather ironic, as that alone, (not putting a label on it) basically IS agnostic belief.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
The reason I refuse to recognise Jedi as a religion personally is that I'm not convinced that those did it do so out of genuine belief in the concept of Jedi as a religion instead of just doing it to say "look at us! we made Jedi our religion! aren't we clever!" and as such I refuse to indulge them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
For a minute I though you had open a whole can of heated discussions on this until you point out scientology at the end. Nice way of dosing it!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Coca-Cola didn't invent Santa Clause (or even the red and white suit I believe, they just put him in it since it went with the branding).

dark-amon

Aug 22, 2009
Actually the philosophers have had a pretty static perception of what the term 'God' means (refering to Bobs comment on humans perception of gods changing over the course of history). The premises is actually more than 2000 years old.
Why do I mention this? Because philsophers or people with a certain degree of philosophical knowledge seem to be the only people who work on the question on higher metaphysical entities on a rational level. I rarely see anyone from any church do it and amny of the atheist community that writes books on the subject lacks knowledge on metaphysical analysis.
And about the latter half of the episode, although many younger philosophers would probably find the ideas cool, but if one where to show up everyone would sigh: "another scientolgy-church!"

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Captain Pooptits said:
Haarooohee, Bob? Haarooheee?

You just lost all nerd credibility with me. Stop your preaching now. Right now goddam.

It's Haruhi ffs.
Oh be quiet, he can pronounce it however he pleases.

OT: I was laughing so hard at the end, good one Bob!

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
I don't think the modern world could accept a new religion in massive numbers unless it was founded on a modern day miracle. For example, if someone claimed to be a healer and then suddenly made good on his claim by healing a dozen cancer patients, there would be thousands of people that would rush to worship his patron.

joytex

Sep 28, 2008
"The premises is actually more than 2000 years old."

Well obviously, they call it 2011 AD for a reason.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Morrison's All-Star Superman is pretty much a religious text already.

Have you heard the good word of Superman today?

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Hey, i´m an atheist and i´m not boring =(

I think. I mean, i´m probably not...

Maybe we should go over this thing scientifical-

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, good episode. Loved the bit about sceintology.

Jackhorse

Jul 4, 2010
Danial said:
I already worship Stephen Fry, that counts right?
He will lead us into an age of enlightenment and inner peace if its really of no trouble to anyone. All hail Fry he shall save us from our wicked ways when we can fit him in!