The Big Picture: Night of the Lepus

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Reminds me of the Pandemic episodes of South Park.

Those people looked extremely startled.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
been basically said already but this just looks like the bastard child of Watership down and an overused monty python joke...

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Late night TV is exactly where I saw this. Eating dinner after the night shift and even the info description was mocking it. In a state of disbelief I selected the channel and my dinner went cold.
It's like a train wreck, you just can't look away.

Try guessing what they used for the sound track when the "monsters" are galloping

A water cooler jug emptying.

"what Elmer Fudd sees on shrooms" that should have been the PR copy. It'd make one heck of an opening weekend. So is this like a cult classic now?

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
so giant killer bunnies, cute death awaits those prevent them from feeding.

btw bob, after scholocktober, could ye do an episode on the hub channel shows tf prime, g.i. joe renegades, and mlp:fim? petty please?

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
We'd better not risk another frontal assault - that [film about] rabbit's dynamite!

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
I was at a con a couple weeks ago, taking pictures of a 2-foot tall remote control Dalek and thinking I'd found the cutest source of destruction ever.

I was so very, very wrong.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I've never known terror could be this cute, I now welcome the adorable apocalypse. Also have to wonder what kind of person associates giant bunnies with terror? I suspect they were never hugged as a child, or ever.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I remember seeing this on TV years ago when I was little. I laughed my ass off the whole time. You just can't make rabbits scary... you just can't. And to think, up until today, I thought the movie wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Well at least now I can prove to people that this movie actually exists. I've been telling people about it for years, and nobody ever believed me. Take that everyone who thought I was making it up!

And now that I know the title of the movie, I can buy it and unleash it on unsuspecting friends and family!

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Damn, my knowledge of various species actually spoiled this one for me, although I was curious to find out how the hell they're supposed to make hares [1] [#footnote-1] scary.

[1] note: hares NOT rabbits, rabbits belong to a completely different genus.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
"Shown mostly on late night TV and most people who saw it thought they imagines it. Yep thats me.

2am sunday night (so really early monday morning) on UPN back in Fort Worth they showed really awful horror movies. this was like 2000-2002 saw killer klowns from outer space, that one horror movie that i think was based on a stephen king novel where all the car come alive and start killing everyone, tremors 1,2 & 3, and other stuff i never got the name of. I think they also did some old classic horror movies like nightmare on elm street, but some of those are so old that they don't really scare anyone these days.

seriously i watched nightmare on elm st. in the dark, at night, by myself, (usually when horror movies scare you (well me) the most) and i laughed for most of the movie. those kids were so dumb... yeah anyway saw it way back in the day, haven't put much thought to it other than a couple of times when i describe the movies they showed and i say "and i think there was one with giant bunnies..." o_O

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
You're right, filly Pinkie Pie IS adorable. And so are bunnies.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
Why WASN'T this movie used for an episode of MST3K?
Wait, it wasn't?

Holy crap, I just checked, it wasn't. If you'd asked me yesterday I would have sworn up and down that I'd seen Night of the Lepus on one of those midnight MST3K reruns on Comedy Central way back when. Apparently that never happened.

Maybe I've been thinking of The Killer Shrews all this time.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
To quote the late, great Mitch Hedberg, "It is the cutest infestation ever!"

By the way, when you were talking about the shenanigans with hiding what the movie was about from the public, it reminded me of another movie with an A-list cast: Miracle on 34th Street. The reason they were so hush-hush about it, if memory serves, is because they released what would become one of the greatest Christmas movies ever, in July. There's the link if anyone's interested.

Fun fact about the trailer, it features the actor who would go on to play Devin Miles in Knight Rider.

http://youtu.be/FdCKp8hsbmY

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
This cuteness factor also sunk the giant rat in the early Doctor Who Episode "The Talons of Weng-Chiang". The rat they chose was adorable- like a nice, clean lab rat rather than a horrible, dirty disgusting sewer rat it was supposed to be. Total epic fail.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Great vid. Wow, a horror movie inspired by the rabbit pest problem of the 60's. Reality is more sad than fiction though. In reality instead of a freak experiment causing huge cute bunnies, people plumped for biological warfare by releasing myxomatosis.

ginger_vitus

Jan 14, 2010
@5:14- I AM ONE OF THOSE VIEWERS.
I saw this on TNT (in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, actually) when I was 9 or 10 years old. I'd already seen a lot of MST3K and other comedy-first stuff aimed to poke fun at mid-century good-bad horror schlock, so I was stunned to see a premise this fundamentally hysterical being played completely straight and without the familiar silhouettes of Crow, Joel and Tom Servo at the bottom of the screen.
Since my mom (a devoted Elvira fan herself who came a-runnin' on the pitch of "I swear to God, Mom, I'm watching Tremors, but with BUNNIES") was the only other person in the house that day, I've spent the last 12 years swearing up and down to people that, YES, there is a killer bunny invasion movie, NO, it's not an intentional parody, and NO, I did not drop acid when I was in 5th grade.
Thanks, Bob, for finally exposing it to the world.