The Big Picture: No No Power Rangers

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err does anyone got the link of that super Sentai clip which appear that every Sentai are fighting each other?

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I'm 25 and loved the show as a kid.

As long as the Power Rangers film is over the top, well animated in the CG department (Or AMAZINGLY coreographed if it's done old costume fight style) and has a proper level of tension but doesn't take itself INSANELY seriously, I'll go check it out. Oh and it can't have a mediocre and poorly written script like the 2 latter Transformer films, I don't want to watch the same movie 2 more times, mkay?

As long as it's fun, I'll go watch and enjoy it probably!

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
I'm just as confused; as a 31 year old millennial (right on the line between Gen X and Y) I found the Power Rangers show to be horrendous and I put it up there with Barney & Friends as being some of the most terrible things of my childhood.

krompo

May 6, 2014
SonOfVoorhees said:
What would the movie be like? Am thinking dark and gritty with zero silliness. If thats the case then no point making a movie. Never get why hollywood does that, make movies based on old shows and books and then totally ignore the source material completely. I guess the point is they are greedy arseholes that dont give a shit about the source material.
As long as the film is good, I don't see how not being faithful to the source material is problem.

If in the comics, Batman were a lower class, social recluse with living parents, it wouldn't make the Dark Knight a bad film.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Jofe said:
I don't know... I sorta grew up with the first season (If I understand correctly this is the one they're attempting to reboot on the movie) and still don't think its a good idea.
More or less this. I remember watching Power Rangers when I was younger, but I never thought of it as cinematic quality as a show. It was silliness and toys tied together by really bad acting. This is not the kind of series I would expect to get a modern reboot. It's not that it's too geeky or childish or niche, it's just bad.

...Rescue Rangers I might be more willing to support.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Kyogissun said:

As long as the Power Rangers film is over the top, well animated in the CG department (Or AMAZINGLY coreographed if it's done old costume fight style) and has a proper level of tension but doesn't take itself INSANELY seriously, I'll go check it out. Oh and it can't have a mediocre and poorly written script like the 2 latter Transformer films, I don't want to watch the same movie 2 more times, mkay?

Well they did that already, and it was Mystery Science Theater levels of bad.
Which is exactly how it should be.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I still don't know how I feel about the news. I definitely enjoyed power rangers and similar things like Beetleborgs, but I have not gotten that "OMG this is happening!" that I got with Pacific Rim or Godzilla.

I guess it is partly because it has not really gone away like Godzilla had. The series is still going, though I don't know how popular is these days with their target audience.

The closest I have gotten to that feeling was when I was watching Samurai Flamenco and seeing some of those tropes play out. I guess I'll see how I feel when it is actually close to being released. That said I can't imagine them doing it without having Jason David Frank show up for a cameo.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I remember my friends and I would have awesome battles between our Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles. I remember Power Rangers and Dragon Ball Z as the two awesome fighting shows when I was much younger. Not being one who watched much after the first Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, I'll probably watch the movie the same way as my dad watches the Marvel movies.

Besides, it can be hard to make an already cheesy and predictable product any worse. Those who get all bent out of shape if they don't like the upcoming movie really need to remember that paying the rent is more important than a campy show from their youth.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I've reviewed way too many Power Rangers DVDs over the nearly decade I've been a critic, and the last series isn't bad, for what it is. I actually enjoyed RPM, which was another recent incarnation. It gives me hope that the movie might be fun.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
80's 90's cartoons and childrens shows suck. All of them. (Except Gargoyles)

Just wait until people are selling the kids nowadays their nostalgia back. Then we're going to get some awesome films. Kim Possible is going to rock the world so hard the GI Joe films go away and cry themselves to sleep, asking why their entire existence was so pointless and forgettable.

(Power Rangers were my generation's thing. They sucked even then)

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
IT IS WEIRD for me, when I'm 22, and both the 90's and 80's culture is something that were part of my childhood. Since I'm from brazil, those two (and some 70's too) were on tv with no qualms with each other, and everyone loved both Power Rangers (and not just the fucking first season) and Dragon Ball Z, and Dungeons and Dragons(the cartoon), and Goonies, and Spider-man animated series, and...

Well, you get what I mean. I suppose that is part of the reason why I grew up to love everything so much, from Transformers movies to Lord of The Rings, all the way to Star Wars prequels and sequels and anime and stuff.
And now they come up with a Power Rangers reboot, and I feel like it could go either way (darker or silly), and I'm probably gonna love it anyway.

edit:
My favorite season so far is Space Patrol Delta btw.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
MCerberus said:
Kyogissun said:

Well they did that already, and it was Mystery Science Theater levels of bad.
Which is exactly how it should be.
I really hope you're not just pointing at the original english film, because I thought it would be assumed that the general consensus is that one 'is' pretty mediocre.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Not gonna lie, I think Bob did a good job with this episode what with the calling out people cringing at the prospect of a Power Rangers reboot while fawning over other, just as geeky, things themselves.

It probably helps that I was a huge power rangers fan growing up, though I was more ambivalent than anything else at the prospect of the reboot.
Same here. While I also have my own set of Turtles and Transformers that I watched growing up I could always kind of see how something like that could transform into a somewhat serious, if ridiculous at times, movie. Power Rangers though. Its just so nakedly commercial and over the top that I'm scared of what they might try to do. Hell I don't want them to try and "grow it up" or market it at us now 20-30 year olds who watched it in the 90s. It should be aimed at, as it always has been, younger kids. Though I am hoping that if nothing else it gets a competent action director. Some of the fight scenes in the show were pretty top notch, especially the Forever Red special. A big budget version of those minus shakey cam of course. Del Toro also showed us just how good and awesome giant CGI robots vs. giant CGI monsters can be. Give me that plus stupidly silly but stupidly awesome special weapons and attacks from both sides and we could have Pacific Rim levels of awesome.

In the end I'm worried but I can't help but notice I'm growing more psyched with each passing day. My one thing would be don't make Jason David Frank the Green/White Ranger. Have him do a cameo at least. That would be fan service.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I'm a part of that demographic this reboot is supposed to target and I'm not terribly excited by it, mainly due to the previous live-action movies. Then again, I'm not immune to the nostalgia since hell yes Rescue Rangers movie.

Next on the list, Gargoyles. Bring that back already.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
While I too feel somewhat apprehensive about the idea of a new Power Rangers movie, that's largely due to my own experiences. I remember when the first two big-screen PR films first came out and I didn't enjoy either of them. So if I say I'm not looking forward to a third, it's only because this franchise has, in my eyes, not done so well in terms of their movie outings so far.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
BrotherRool said:
80's 90's cartoons and childrens shows suck. All of them. (Except Gargoyles)

Just wait until people are selling the kids nowadays their nostalgia back. Then we're going to get some awesome films. Kim Possible is going to rock the world so hard the GI Joe films go away and cry themselves to sleep, asking why their entire existence was so pointless and forgettable.
Not quite all (Batman the Animated Series, Gargoyles and Mighty Max are all pretty good) but I would have to agree that a large majority are not worth remembering. I have no idea what the big kids shows of the last decade are but they had to have been better then the crap that was made in the 90s.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure this is 100% valid. A lot of the people I know rolling their eyes at a movie are the ones who watched Power Rangers...And sometimes still do. Hell, I get it myself. Not only did I " get" Power Rangers enough to enjoy it when it fisrt aired, I still watch it. I still remember that cringeworthy MMPR movie from the 90s, though, and I've seen a lot of reboots and film adaptations suck. There's plenty of reasons to roll your eyes, and not just because you're a gen-Xer.

However, I will agree. We shouldn't yell at the punk kids to get off our damn lawns.

Ken_J said:
Just to let everyone in the comments know. Don't start asking Linkara when the next History of Power Rangers is coming out.
It's a well-known fact that every time you do, he delays the release. I mean, why else do you think he's withholding them? Because he hasn't made them yet? Ha! He finished the series ages ago!

MarsAtlas said:
I mean, do you think a grim-dark Power Rangers would be any good?
Maybe JDF will get his "Adult" Green Ranger movie after all.

Seriously, though, I'm kind of hoping they will embrace the shit that made MMPR fun.

AdmiralCheez said:
Yeah, if someone really wants to see it, and someone really wants to make it, who am I to tell them no?
Hi, you must be new to the internet. >.>

MCerberus said:
My big question here is: does anyone really still care? Power Rangers is something you very easily grow out of, and it's trying to reboot the original series.
Two internet newbies in one thread. What are the odds?

No, but seriously. Power Rangers has a strong adult fanbase. I mean, you can grow out of it, but a lot of people didn't. MMPR is still the most popular, or at the very least among the most popular.

I would personally think a better question would be "would the fanbase still accept it with new actors?"

As a follow up, "would it matter?"

ran88dom99 said:
The revenge of all the people who didn't have anything better to watch. Put some effort into your kid's entertainment.
I'm of the philosophy that there's nothing better to watch, turning off the TV is a completely valid option.

JPArbiter said:
I am only slightly younger then Bob (31 to his 33) and was a fan due to my love of Giant Stompy Robots and of Martial arts movies. so I am not 100% sure this is an age thing. Unless you consider Bob and I being on the cusp of it and it caught me but not him.
Well, you're ab out my brother's age, and he and his classmates got caught up in it. Which is why I saw it in the first place. Honestly, I like cheesy Kung Fu and big stompy robots anyway, so it was an easy draw for me.

Donnicton

Apr 28, 2014
I think Bob is kind of missing the point with this movie. People aren't necessarily rolling their eyes at it because "lol they're old", but because Hollywood has a reputation for taking nostalgic properties and rebooting them in all the wrong ways, ultimately creating some unrecognizable bastardization of the programming people loved at the time.

Sure they're going to hook the newer generation crowd that aren't familiar with it and still rake in the money - because that's their actual intent, not actually catering to nostalgia - but they're not impressing the relevant generation because we know what Hollywood is going to do to it.

I loved Power Rangers as a kid. Hell, we had discussions in school about who the identity of the Green Ranger was. But when you look and see what Hollywood did to The Smurfs, Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Hong Kong Phooey(if you saw that godawful trailer leak - seriously the urinal cake, the urinal cake), Yogi Bear and the like, why should I be excited to see Hollywood move forward a generation and do that to Power Rangers and Rescue Rangers? Do I get to see them do this with Darkwing Duck next - and god help me I get to be called "old" or "obsolete" for not liking the idea even though they were my generation's programming?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Two internet newbies in one thread. What are the odds?

No, but seriously. Power Rangers has a strong adult fanbase. I mean, you can grow out of it, but a lot of people didn't. MMPR is still the most popular, or at the very least among the most popular.

I would personally think a better question would be "would the fanbase still accept it with new actors?"

As a follow up, "would it matter?"
In all my internet travels I have never seen a group of people consider the MMPR more than a minor nostalgia rush usually followed by "you know, that show wasn't that good, but I liked it as a kid". I guess we can add "fanbases" to the internet quantum physics laws.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Failure to understand modern pop culture is making you obsolete as a critic, ha ha ha?"

...*sigh*... Oh, Bob.

I've never been into the MMPR; it always seemed kind of silly to me. But that's okay. I recognize I'm not the intended audience for it, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that, and let those who do enjoy whatever comes of a brand "re-imagining" for what it is.

...Kind of like I'm willing to let tweens and teenagers who appreciate something like "Divergent" go about their business, recognizing I'm not the target audience. *cough*