The Big Picture: No No Power Rangers

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure this is 100% valid. A lot of the people I know rolling their eyes at a movie are the ones who watched Power Rangers...And sometimes still do. Hell, I get it myself. Not only did I " get" Power Rangers enough to enjoy it when it fisrt aired, I still watch it. I still remember that cringeworthy MMPR movie from the 90s, though, and I've seen a lot of reboots and film adaptations suck. There's plenty of reasons to roll your eyes, and not just because you're a gen-Xer.

However, I will agree. We shouldn't yell at the punk kids to get off our damn lawns.
I don't think this episode was really about Power Rangers so much as using Power Rangers to represent a general thought among the gen Xer film critic. It's pretty common amongst those folks to look back on my generations nostalgia and scoff. Because He-Man, Transformers and GI joe are so much cooler than Pokemon, Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles. I think the point Bob was making, and I could be reading too much into it, was that it's all the same stuff anyway, and that the older generation should make room for stuff that's outside their own wheelhouse.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I don't have to feel bad about not being excited for Power Rangers movie (even though I was once a fan of the show back in its first couple of seasons). This is because I'm indiscriminately cynical about every movie. It may not be a very fair view to take, but it's kept me from a lot of pain coming from disappointment.

. . .

Actually, no it hasn't, because I hate seeing ideas done badly, whatever they are, but it deadens the pain somewhat. At least that's what I tell myself when I'm staring at the ceiling while trying to fall asleep at night.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
In my opinion, the complaints towards the MMPR movie reboot falls into three categories...

1) The old guard whining about the nostalgia movies overtaking their cinemas: Like Bob mention, its mostly the older critics who are out of touch with the new generations of film-goers. The flux of nostalgia properties like Avengers, TMNT, Transformers, and so on is Hollywood jumping onto the popular bandwagon (aka the "monkey see, monkey do" mentality). Until this trend is no longer viable, which won't be for some time now, they're gonna have to get use to it like everyone else. Turning your nose up towards this rather than trying to understand these franchises and their fan-bases better is only going to make the demise of your respectable position all the more swifter.

2) Gen-X turning their noses up towards Gen-Y's nostalgic properties: This one highlights the severe mental disorder the Internet community tends to have. I know the Internet has a bad habit of being so closed-off with its likes/dislikes that it won't let in any new ideas or experiences. But shouldn't it be more welcoming towards fellow geeks regardless of their tastes? It's almost as bad as attitude the cinema snobs have towards these properties(no relation to Brad Jones). Personally, both parties need a massive prescription of "get the fuck over yourselves" delivered to them in suppository form.

3) The fans of this show fearing it will be the next Michael Bay Transformers: I tend to fall into this category. I watched this show as a teenager and I actually enjoyed it. I like the prospect of a reboot but the lingering doubt that its going to be placed in the hands of total hacks who'll turn it into another grim & gritty piece of garbage scares me to no end. That I understand. We've seen too many properties fall into this trap because of clueless marketing dipshits who would be better off promoting Captain Crunch at the local supermarket instead of mishandling our childhood. Plus the fact that Power Rangers is going through one of its worst seasons is not helping to alleviate our fears.

Right now, its too soon to be overreacting. All we got, news wise, is just an article that just states "Hey! We're making a movie in the near future!" No mention of actors or directors picked for this reboot. We might get more news come San Diego Comic Con later this summer, we might not. We shall see.

I'd personally like to see this movie retain the colorful camp nature while exploring some darker tones like Power Rangers in Space or Power Rangers RPM. Maybe expand on the mythos of the show and offer something new at the same time. I would love to see the movie explore the heroes and villains of the series more deeply. Right now, it has the potential to be a good movie or a bad movie. Nothing has come out to say otherwise. All we can do is wait and hope its gonna be placed in capable hands.

Although, making a public checklist of dos and don'ts for this project wouldn't hurt. ^^;

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Omnicrom said:
Wait there are people EXCITED about a Power Rangers movie?
I'm not exactly excited, but I do want to see this happen. I grew up when Power Rangers was the popular thing and I freakin' loved it. I had all the toys too. As I said in the other topic when this was announced, I can't enjoy Power Rangers these days. They're too silly. But as a big budget blockbuster it might actually work. I'd buy a ticket for sure.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Coreless said:
BrotherRool said:
80's 90's cartoons and childrens shows suck. All of them. (Except Gargoyles)

Just wait until people are selling the kids nowadays their nostalgia back. Then we're going to get some awesome films. Kim Possible is going to rock the world so hard the GI Joe films go away and cry themselves to sleep, asking why their entire existence was so pointless and forgettable.
Not quite all (Batman the Animated Series, Gargoyles and Mighty Max are all pretty good) but I would have to agree that a large majority are not worth remembering. I have no idea what the big kids shows of the last decade are but they had to have been better then the crap that was made in the 90s.
Oh I did forget about Batman TAS. That's another plus.

But compared to Spectacular Spiderman, My Little Pony, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls... I think someone at some point in the 2000's decided that kids were actually pretty smart. And Batman TAS went on to have Justice League, Justice League Unlimited and all the really good Batman shows in the 2000's too.

Even when I was a kid not much attracted me as it happened. He-Man was the worst thing ever. I cringed at the Power Rangers and I was eight. Pokemon was good at the time, but trying to watch it again out of curiosity was painful. Powerpuff Girls might actually have been good? But it turns out that was 1998-2004 so it's basically millennial.

Maybe I'm actually more of a 2000's kid than a 90's one, I was still 9 at the millenium, but an adult now watching My Little Pony seems more understandable to me than an adult watching most of the 90's stuff.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
I grew up with Power Rangers and was a huge fan in my younger years.

I don't think the movie will be good, but that's not going to stop me from watching this train wreck. :D

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure this is 100% valid. A lot of the people I know rolling their eyes at a movie are the ones who watched Power Rangers...And sometimes still do. Hell, I get it myself. Not only did I " get" Power Rangers enough to enjoy it when it fisrt aired, I still watch it. I still remember that cringeworthy MMPR movie from the 90s, though, and I've seen a lot of reboots and film adaptations suck. There's plenty of reasons to roll your eyes, and not just because you're a gen-Xer.

However, I will agree. We shouldn't yell at the punk kids to get off our damn lawns.
I had a Power Rangers birthday cake when I was a kid and I rolled my eyes.

Also I own a lawn and will yell at who ever is on it.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
This is actually one of the reasons why, for any project related to anything pop culture that gets any specific group excited, I take the stance of "I'll judge it as soon as I can see the final product."

Take the Bey TMNT movie. The origin story looks kind of interesting (if a bit "We've seen this before") and I like the fact that Mikey's "It's just a mask" scene shows Mikey still being Mikey. But, I'd have to see the final product before I can make any definitive decision on whether it is any good or not. It will be the same with Trans4mers, the upcoming Justice League movie, that Rescue Rangers movie that was green lighted, and anything else in a similar vein.

We've seen this happen before many times. Whether it's movies people thought wouldn't work being surprisingly good or movies that were overhyped and got people excited ending up being duds...we really don't know how good something is going to be until we see how the final product ends up.

So, yeah. Not going to judge this reboot until I see the final product. Speculation tells me nothing.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Bob, you're also forgetting that both previous attempts at a power rangers movie were this [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Morphin_Power_Rangers:_The_Movie] and this [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo:_A_Power_Rangers_Movie]. Neither of which were very good, and the latter being the lead in for the series that nearly killed the franchise.

Forgive me if I don't get my hopes up.

Hunter Grant

Aug 27, 2013
The question is are they trying to make a kids movie or are they trying to age it up like the Transformers flicks?

Sami Avigdor

Jun 11, 2011
I've never really been interested in Power Rangers so I will probably pass on this, but if this somehow led to a revival of BeetleBorgs, I would be s-s-s-SUPER pumped! I LOVE me some BeetleBorgs.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Speaking as someone who got into Power Rangers around Time Force (season 9), I'm honestly doubting that any kind of MMPR movie can work. Either they stick to the source material (and make it too childish for older fans to not get embarrassed about watching) or make it more serious (and lose the charm that made people love it in the first place).

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Fuck it. Kung fu + robots = I am down. Pacific Rim was awesome, and even if Power Rangers: Holy Shit They're Trying This Again is stupid it'll still be a good time to make fun of.

That being said, to all the gods of media: please let it be full of Canadians and once again feature a couple of nerds bullying a group of popular, attractive martial arts experts. But if there's a 'the gay one,' maybe be chill with that this time? That would be a good step.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Seriously, though, I'm kind of hoping they will embrace the shit that made MMPR fun.
If they embraced that but did the fight scenes with the professionalism of a major Hollywood movie we might have a bit of a classic on our hands. I mean Power Rangers has always had at least pretty decent fight choreography when it came to the ground. Now Del Toro has shown us just how awesome a giant monster vs. giant robot fight can look. Apply that to Power Rangers, with their ridiculous weapons, and we could have something really awesome on our hands.

Also he shouldn't have a main role in my opinion but Jason David Frank should have a cameo at least. I mean he'd probably be game for it. He's pretty much embraced that he is Tommy Oliver and he is riding that train magnificently....in that he posted a video of himself riding his motorcycle in public while wearing his black dino ranger costume one time.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Silverspetz said:
Wait, wait, wait....There is a Rescue Rangers Movie in the works? Seriously? FUCK YEAH!!!!!!
Yeah. Hopefully these two will be good and lighten the sting that will be the Captain Planet movie.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
What actually shocked me how LONG it has taken for 90's nostalgia to really start kicking in for Hollywood studios, or how long 80's reboots have managed to dominate the film landscape. Now most of Gen X is in or soon to be in their 30's, not the main demographic of paying film goers as far as Hollywood is concerned.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Err does anyone got the link of that super Sentai clip which appear that every Sentai are fighting each other?
That's footage from this particular movie;

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Gokaiger_Goseiger_Super_Sentai_199_Hero_Great_Battle

Shouldn't be hard to find on the internet, it can be found on youtube even.

Although this was still under Disney, Power Rangers RPM was quite enjoyable, so it is possible to do neat stuff with this particular series, so I'll give the movie the benefit of the doubt and go see it, when it hits theaters.