The Big Picture: No No Power Rangers

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
No No Power Rangers

MovieBob is a tad confused over the reaction over the announcement of a new Power Rangers movie.

Watch Video

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
Wait there are people EXCITED about a Power Rangers movie? After the last few awful seasons put out by Saban? I'm entirely not hyped mostly because I have no faith it'll come out well. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see them putting in the time, money, or effort. Maybe partnering with an actual movie studio will get the Saban productions to bother to work and hire actors who can act, but Iunno.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Just to let everyone in the comments know. Don't start asking Linkara when the next History of Power Rangers is coming out.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I loved Power Rangers as a kid, even realizing how cheap and campy it was. But I'm not excited because with current Hollywood fucking up characters like Superman, Power Rangers movie being crap is a foregone conclusion.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Not gonna lie, I think Bob did a good job with this episode what with the calling out people cringing at the prospect of a Power Rangers reboot while fawning over other, just as geeky, things themselves.

It probably helps that I was a huge power rangers fan growing up, though I was more ambivalent than anything else at the prospect of the reboot.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I'm exited about a first season Power Rangers movie, I was rather old when they came, but somehow it was something different from what I had as a kid, so I've taken a liking on them. I'm not gonna roll my eyes on it, but I'm not gonna drool on the floor for them either. Let's wait and see.

Is it too late to ask for a Biker Mice from Mars re-launch? I wouldn't mind a new cartoon now.

Or S.W.A.T. Kats for that matter. Or the Centurions... I better stop derailing...

Jofe

Feb 3, 2010
I don't know... I sorta grew up with the first season (If I understand correctly this is the one they're attempting to reboot on the movie) and still don't think its a good idea. I'll wait and see what happens, but I don't think it end well.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Let the fans have their fun I say. Despite being the right age for them, I was only remotely aware of the Power Rangers but I stopped noticing their existence after the early noughties, so I'm out of it's audience.

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
My excitement for it depends on one really, really big question. Is Judd Lynn attached to it?

He is basically the guy who made the best seasons of the show the best seasons of the show (after the hey a live action, action series thing wore off after the first few seasons)

BTW Ron Wasserman and MovieBob in one video, that is awesome.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
I really liked Power Rangers as a kid but I also really liked the Gen X stuff like Transformers and Xmen and all that.. probably because I'm awkwardly in between generations, not really old enough for Gen X, but not really young enough for Millennial. I was excited (and then disappointed) by Transformers movies, I love the comic book based movies, but I could care less about a Power Rangers movie.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I wouldn't say I was a fan of Power Rangers, I watched way back when it first premiered in the states.

It's just that with how horrendously low the quality was, the show was a train wreck you just couldn't look away from.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, if someone really wants to see it, and someone really wants to make it, who am I to tell them no? I'm not going to see it though, despite loving the original series and movie as a kid. It's just not my thing anymore.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Ken_J said:
Just to let everyone in the comments know. Don't start asking Linkara when the next History of Power Rangers is coming out.
Speaking of Linkara, what was his reaction to this news?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Fun Fact: the Power Rangers movie was the first one I saw alone, because my sisters and mom wanted to see Pocahontas instead. This also means I get to play the hipster card here 'ugh, I saw it with the original cast'.

My big question here is: does anyone really still care? Power Rangers is something you very easily grow out of, and it's trying to reboot the original series.

ran88dom99

Feb 3, 2011
The revenge of all the people who didn't have anything better to watch. Put some effort into your kid's entertainment.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I am only slightly younger then Bob (31 to his 33) and was a fan due to my love of Giant Stompy Robots and of Martial arts movies. so I am not 100% sure this is an age thing. Unless you consider Bob and I being on the cusp of it and it caught me but not him.

oh I loved how the MMPR theme was edited in btw, good call on that!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What would the movie be like? Am thinking dark and gritty with zero silliness. If thats the case then no point making a movie. Never get why hollywood does that, make movies based on old shows and books and then totally ignore the source material completely. I guess the point is they are greedy arseholes that dont give a shit about the source material.